The Hollins family in 'Doctors' were my fav soap family..

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
Forum Member
Since Imogen and Jack, the son and daughter of the Holins family, left just before Christmas the show has not been the same for me. They were so central to the show, they were the reason I watched it. Imogen went off to Uni in London and Jack went off to Uni in Newcastle. I used to watch the show on i-player each night when I got in from work, but the last 8 or 9 months I've barely watched it.

I sent Charlie Clemmow, who played Imogen, a Tweet a few months ago saying the show isn't the same without her and Nick Woodman, who played her brother Jack. Charlie replied to me saying I should keep watching as her and Nick were just two characters in it and that there are many other characters there. True, but now the Hollins family is only Karen and Rob (the parents) it is not the same.

Who else now doesn't watch the show since Imogen and Jack left? To me it's not the same show now the Hollins family unit is no longer the four of them.

Photo: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s16/doctors/i396882-8/doctors-week-9-the-hollins-family-come-up-with-a-plan-to-get-rid-of-the-french-exchange-students.html

Comments

• HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I liked the Hollins family too, I feel as if the show has introduced new characters to keep the show current and interesting e.g. Howard, Emma, Al and Jas.

Karen's been her bitchy, gossip-y, marmite Karen-y self while Rob was involved in the Sonia/Dave rape story at the police station. Karen and Rob have been able to move forward in the absence of Jack and Imogen.

And we do get references now and again from Karen about how they are at university.

But I do miss them occasionally. I think they were the most realistic, together family in the whole of soap.

But I wouldn't say the quality of Doctors has dropped since they left, though.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    "I think they were the most realistic, together family in the whole of soap".

I agree entirely. I don't think the show now has a family like them where we see stories about the parents' jobs and the kids' private lives. I'm not sure because, as I mentioned, I don't really watch it anymore. The show without the four-piece Hollins family became about individuals, and the occasion couple, and what they got up to. If they introduced another family like the Hollins, which involved family life in the house, chat about what the parents do and how the son and daughter got on with things they did that day, and also scenes involving relationships and friend situations involving the two kids, it would be more appealing as a programme and I would watch it again. Soaps are at their best when they are family orientated, and Doctors lost that when Imogen and Jack left.
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching when that family disintegrated. I can't get into the new characters. I have started to watch Neighbours again in its stead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Maybe we should contact the producers and suggest they create something similar in the show to the nuclear family that the Hollins' were. It will bring back the viewers.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still love Karen and Rob but I do miss Imogen and Jack.
  • rubberduck3y6rubberduck3y6 Posts: 18,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though they could be annoying at times, I did like having a family in the show and some (semi-)regular characters who didn't work at the Mill. It allowed Doctors to have a wider variety of stories like the ones featuring Jack's uni mates and I liked Immie's shoplifting storyline. Now that Jack and Immie have left I do actually kinda miss them and having a family unit in Doctors.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Jack.:(
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    I miss Jack.:(
    I do too:(

The Hollins family were very realistic I thought. Karen and Rob are a great paring too:)