Strictly star axed (says the Sunday People)

StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
Forum Member
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnTN1S0IgAA0TVL.jpg

By which I assume they mean James.

Comments

• StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Link to a story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-come-dancing-star-james-3524453

It says that James has been demoted to a backing dancer, Ola may quit and Karen is definitely back. Still, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an awful shame. ;)
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given how outspoken James usually is, I'm sure there'd have been a denial by now if there wasn't a grain of truth in it.
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    Given how outspoken James usually is, I'm sure there'd have been a denial by now if there wasn't a grain of truth in it.

I think I saw mention on Twitter earlier that James and Ola are doing a show tonight so maybe they haven't got back on Twitter and seen this story has broken.

But I do agree - if this is not true expect James to say something by tomorrow morning.

Poor Ola if its true as she has a decision to make ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Hope they aren't using James to get rid of Ola too.
  • scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sam33 wrote: »
    Hope they aren't using James to get rid of Ola too.

The story in the link provided by Stig (above) states that they want Ola and therefore she has a decision to make.
  • scout2006scout2006 Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member
    That's a real shame :( Like him or loathe him at least James has a personality, which can't be said for most of the recent additions.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last "high profile couple" were Darren and Lilia and look what happened to them.

The BBC are constantly apprehensive about the situation, because the quality of the contestants isn't that great and it does seem a bit embarrassing when some of the professionals are more well known than the "C-listers."

They can't improve the quality of the contestants, they have to find "celebrities" with sod-all to do from September to the end of December. Or some relatively unknown or fading sports star.
    So they're always scraping the barrel.

Solution?
    Fire some well known dancers, so they don't overshadow some soap actor.

It's the way the BBC works.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last "high profile couple" were Darren and Lilia and look what happened to them.

The BBC are constantly apprehensive about the situation, because the quality of the contestants isn't that great and it does seem a bit embarrassing when some of the professionals are more well known than the "C-listers."

They can't improve the quality of the contestants, they have to find "celebrities" with sod-all to do from September to the end of December. Or some relatively unknown or fading sports star.

Solution?

And yet the most famous two dancers are Anton and Brendan and neither seem under threat so I think there's more to it than that.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I would rather have James and Ola than mean Karen and smug Kevin From Grimsby!
  • Lupin37Lupin37 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I do hope this isn't true, I have always liked James & Ola and it seems to me that James is the 'cheeky schoolboy' of the professionals. No real malice in him and often very endearing.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    I expect the Jordans may go this year - but Strictly has always treated them as a pair.
    IN the tour a couple of years ago Robbie Savage Toured but Alex Jones did not - so they put Katya with Robbie and left them both off the tour.

Now the presenter thing is sorted I hope the producers have the balls to put us all out of Anton's misery.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Solution?

A more likely scenario is that the Strictly bods got fed up of James gobbing off and generally being a pain in the arse. Add to that his age and injury issues at the end of the last series. They already have dancers who can deal with the more mature/less able contestants, so they do need some 'new blood'.
  • mrs gogginsmrs goggins Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    A more likely scenario is that the Strictly bods got fed up of James gobbing off and generally being a pain in the arse.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Still remember how unpleasant he was about John Sergeant.
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    A more likely scenario is that the Strictly bods got fed up of James gobbing off and generally being a pain in the arse. Add to that his age and injury issues at the end of the last series. They already have dancers who can deal with the more mature/less able contestants, so they do need some 'new blood'.

YUP, toldya so months ago. Still, it'd be awful if Ola goes, BUT Insider Info claimed she's cowed by him so may opt out to keep marital harmony--NOT worst decision, but'd be a real LOSS for us fans as she's a joy to watch dancing [unlike jealous, dreary, but pushy rival Karen?? Mee-owww].
    The People article says Featured Dancers get £30k/season so loss of James's income could impact badly on them unless he's set up a fall-back option: eg Dance show tour, private tuition school, Show choreography, etc. Being a Dancer is GRIM as, like footballers & athletes, one's 'washed up' by mid-30's mostly unless you've pre-planned a lucrative FallBack option. Article also points out £££ from Ola's 'calendars', etc which is another earner for them and once off screens, fickle public quickly forgets [eg Lilia & Darren].
  • aimeeaimee1000aimeeaimee1000 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather have James and Ola than mean Karen and smug Kevin From Grimsby!

I totally agree I wasn't at all keen on Kevin from Grimsby or Karen or Aljaz for that matter all too full of themselves burn the floor dancers are okay in their own field but not on SCD really much prefer the old team and James will be missed he put a little bit of spice into the programme I hope it isn't true. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James has tweeted, and still not denied it (although he hasn't confirmed it either), so I'd say there might be some truth in it.

It might be the case that they're waiting on Ola's decision or James has sold his story to the press, so it keeping quiet for now.
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there one extra male pro last year? so maybe they are just evening things up.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    James is one of my favourite pro dancers, and imo Ola is lovely. They will be missed if rumours are true. I think we have really seen the best of SCD...
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree I wasn't at all keen on Kevin from Grimsby or Karen or Aljaz for that matter all too full of themselves burn the floor dancers are okay in their own field but not on SCD really much prefer the old team and James will be missed he put a little bit of spice into the programme I hope it isn't true. :confused:

BIB Blimey aimee! That means no Karen, Aljaz, Jeanette, Kevin, Robin, Artem, Anya, Pasha (even Mathew and Nicole Cutler way back when!) and guest spots for Brian Fortuna and Kristina.... They're not each and every one a favourite of mine, but I wouldn't lump them all together. Burn the Floor's just another place for talented dancers to find work after all, it's not their entire training and experience.

I wouldn't be upset if James left (or disappointed if he stayed), but would rather see Anton go if they need to lose a male pro. I'd give Kevin another chance, but I'm not wild about him... Be sad to lose Ola.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy19 wrote: »
    Wasn't there one extra male pro last year? so maybe they are just evening things up.

Depending what's happening with Natalie Lowe/Aliona Vilani, they're also going to have to let one of the female pros go.

Unless they're flipping the numbers this year and having an extra male celeb.
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like to see one half of a dance partnership asked to stay and the other half not. That's what happened with the Cutlers.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link to a story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-come-dancing-star-james-3524453

It says that James has been demoted to a backing dancer, Ola may quit and Karen is definitely back. Still, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

I certainly wouldnt be upset if this were true - never liked James and I never will
  • Christian CageChristian Cage Posts: 6,239
    Forum Member
    scout2006 wrote: »
    That's a real shame :( Like him or loathe him at least James has a personality, which can't be said for most of the recent additions.

Totally agree. You need pros like James and Brendan who have a bit of fiery personality. If all the pros were like Kevin, Aljaz and Pasha (Who I like by the way) it would be a pretty bland show IMO.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was old news that James and Ola are not going to return .

All I hope is that they bring Natalie back . SCD definitely needs a tall female pro as there are far to many tiny female pros now in SCD and the pairing of some of these partnerships look ridiculous .