Options

Systematic sexual violence used as a weapon of war

RiuRiu Posts: 186
Forum Member
It is strange how something so truly and utterly devastating to the lives of so many people is so silent and unreported here as it is silent and unreported in so many other places.

There is a summit today in London that seeks to address the issue of systematic sexual violence used in war as a weapon on a population.

Not unsubstantiated claims or reporting - but factual.

A verbal tanslated account of one persons experience will stay with me for a long time.

It is simple, short, stark, factual, imeadiate and encapsulates within the words the experience of many.

'' ... my daughter asks me who is her father. I cannot tell her. I don't want her to know and there were so many. I never saw their faces. How could I identify them. How can you see faces when they hit you in your eyes. When there is a gun in my mouth. And a man between my legs. and he goes and another one is there and another and another ... ''

War in and of itself is a brutal thing.

When it is waged on those of a population that are innocent of anything other than living in a place where war passes through it is brutal, brutish and dehumanising.

The aim of the conference is to bring together countries to try to find a way to halt the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war.

I hope with all my heart that something will be achieved.

https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/sexual-violence-in-conflict
https://www.gov.uk/government/topical-events/sexual-violence-in-conflict/about

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Yes, this was featured on Woman's Hour this morning. Appalling of course but nothing new.

The trouble with this kind of well-meaning conference is that all the civilised nations will agree that systematic rape is a terrible thing and commit to doing all they can to prevent it whilst the truly savage armies of Africa and the Far East will carry on as they always have. Exactly the same thing happened with banning landmines.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not silent and unreported. The fact that rape - against women and men - has been used as part of war and torture for centuries is largely ignored.

I first learnt about this from a WWII documentary that features a male veteran who was a POW in Italy. It was used to humiliate him enough to break him (they suspected him as the ringleader of an attempted breakout), but he was tough enough to endure it all. I have since found out that rape is very much part of all types of war. Not just against soldiers, but also people who're suspected of helping the enemy or being collaborators, e.g. villagers. I think some Vietnam-war films highlight this.
  • Options
    IyahIyah Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    So Riu we only care about Africans if it's comic relief .

Let us know when it's happening in a place we have a vested interest in....
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it ever thus, sadly. The old Norse Vikings were well known for it, and not a lot has changed in the intervening years. :(
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not unreported, they won't stop talking about it on Radio 4.
    It makes me turn over to somewhere women are really repected, like the rappers on Radio 1
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard some harrowing stories on 5 live in the last few days. One particularly where a woman(all the while trying to protect her own son) saw her sister gang raped and then shot dead.

There appears only a thin veneer between order and chaos and there are always men for whom it takes just the flick of a switch to pass from one to the other.

To be honest Im ashamed of my own gender sometimes.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about Weapon Of War .

Weapon Of Terror maybe.
    The mass raping of an opposing army is not a attacking strategy I've read about much in the annals of warfare.

If it's anything it's the subjugation and punishment of non combatants by an occupying force.

The invading Russians did it against the German civilians in 1945 as revenge for the German invasion of Russia.
    The invading Japanese did it to the Chinese civilians in 1937 just because they regarded them as sub-human.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iyah wrote: »
    So Riu we only care about Africans if it's comic relief .

Yes basically. Our population is one that doesn't like the thought of UK soldiers dying in war, and crimes "bring back our troops" if less than ten are killed in one day. Imagine the hysteria that would be generated if the Battle of the Somme happened today!
    Our people are also very selfish. They say wars that are happening in other countries are none of our business.

What this all means is that a thousand women could be raped every day in the DRC but we will not do anything to stop the wars there.

We're in afghhanistan but we daren't be as brutal as is necessary to defeat the Taliban, so they execute women frequently. Our population says we should get out of Afghanistan. Then more women will die.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    What does go unreported is that almost as many men are raped during conflict as women.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/jul/17/the-rape-of-men

(May be uncomfortable reading.)
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    There's as much chance of banning war altogether I think.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    There's as much chance of banning war altogether I think.

This is the hard truth.

The fact is that this has always been the case, since the beginning of time, it's not something that is restricted by geography or gender or century.

Well meaning as this conference I am finding it slightly annoying as a) I don't think it will achieve much and b) it's as though the people involved have only just realised it is one of many unpleasant facts of conflict.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll join the list of those other 'forgotten' women's things that the media never stop yapping about. Like breast cancer or sweets on tills.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It'll join the list of those other 'forgotten' women's things that the media never stop yapping about. Like breast cancer or sweets on tills.

LOL sweets on tills??? That's a women's thing? :o:D
  • Options
    wychwych Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, this was featured on Woman's Hour this morning. Appalling of course but nothing new.

The trouble with this kind of well-meaning conference is that all the civilised nations will agree that systematic rape is a terrible thing and commit to doing all they can to prevent it whilst the truly savage armies of Africa and the Far East will carry on as they always have. Exactly the same thing happened with banning landmines.

Since 1945, which "truly savage" armies of the Far East have perpetrated systematic rape?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    cba

<filler>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I have heard some harrowing stories on 5 live in the last few days. One particularly where a woman(all the while trying to protect her own son) saw her sister gang raped and then shot dead.

There appears only a thin veneer between order and chaos and there are always men for whom it takes just the flick of a switch to pass from one to the other.

To be honest Im ashamed of my own gender sometimes.

don't be.

There are many, many people diametrically opposed to those who sanction, order or enact such actions on women, men and children. A lot of those people are male. Gender alone does not make a person culpable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I don't know about Weapon Of War .

Weapon Of Terror maybe.
    The mass raping of an opposing army is not a attacking strategy I've read about much in the annals of warfare.

If it's anything it's the subjugation and punishment of non combatants by an occupying force.

The invading Russians did it against the German civilians in 1945 as revenge for the German invasion of Russia.
    The invading Japanese did it to the Chinese civilians in 1937 just because they regarded them as sub-human.

It is a weapon.
    It is used in these circumstances as a strategy of war. It is intended to affect a population to bring about calculated result
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    What does go unreported is that almost as many men are raped during conflict as women.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/jul/17/the-rape-of-men

(May be uncomfortable reading.)

Systematic sexual violence is not gender specific. The ratio of male to female vilolations documented does not diminish the effect on either sex and is not relevenat - the act being committed on them is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    This is the hard truth.

The fact is that this has always been the case, since the beginning of time, it's not something that is restricted by geography or gender or century.

Well meaning as this conference I am finding it slightly annoying as a) I don't think it will achieve much and b) it's as though the people involved have only just realised it is one of many unpleasant facts of conflict.

It is to try to end impunity for sex crimes committed in war zones.

... "It's an immense and complex problem but it's progress that 123 governments have sent their representatives here to talk about something that many of them would not have talked about at all two years ago." ...

Everything has to have a begining somewhere.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Thing that rather puzzles me is why we're supposed to be concerned about this.

Perhaps it'd be more useful if Angelina Jolie and her colleagues spent a bit more time in Kampala or Kabul, getting the message across there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are those who do not attempt to derail, belittle or trivialise and there are those that do. Thank you for taking the time to post you comments.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I fear whilst there is war there will always be violence, humiliation, torture and rape - and there will always be war, and there will always be little we can do about it.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I fear whilst there is war there will always be violence...

No shit Sherlock? :o:p
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Perhaps it'd be more useful if Angelina Jolie and her colleagues spent a bit more time in Kampala or Kabul, getting the message across there?

Precisely, they should go to Africa and tell them, but I doubt if the third world savage militants would take any notice.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Yes basically. Our population is one that doesn't like the thought of UK soldiers dying in war, and crimes "bring back our troops" if less than ten are killed in one day. Imagine the hysteria that would be generated if the Battle of the Somme happened today!
    Our people are also very selfish. They say wars that are happening in other countries are none of our business.

What this all means is that a thousand women could be raped every day in the DRC but we will not do anything to stop the wars there.

We're in afghhanistan but we daren't be as brutal as is necessary to defeat the Taliban, so they execute women frequently. Our population says we should get out of Afghanistan. Then more women will die.

You nearly seem to be lamenting the fact that something like the Somme wouldn't be tolerated by the population of Britain today.

We daren't be as brutal as necessary? Seems like your answer to this particular issue is for us to bring MORE VIOLENCE. Somewhat counter-productive one would think.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Jesus...