Options

I feel as if I am one of a kind in my town...

Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
I have been in Weston-super-Mare since November 2012 with my partner to be near my family.

I just feel very alone. I feel me and my partner are the only gays in the town. Yes there is a gay club but it's mainly lesbian and transgendered/vestite bar. I see these good looking men, and they are on the arm of some dumpy woman, The nearest gay community groups are in Bristol but I can't keep paying £7 all the time in fares and Exeter miles away.

Neither of us drink, neither of us like clubbing which sadly most of the lads in my town are obsessed with. Adding to that, I have left-wing political views which are incomptiable with the rest of the town (mainly Tory area). Yes I joined the Labour Party in the town, but it's a small group and our 2015 candidate has a full-time day job. I don't like latching on to trends such as this twatty hipster thing. I'm mad on football, but most people are glory hunter Man U/Chelski/Liverpool supporters.

It shouldn't get me down but it does. What can I do? I feel like giving up and moving to Bristol, but can't afford to all the time.

Comments

• Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    I have been in Weston-super-Mare since November 2012 with my partner to be near my family.

I just feel very alone. I feel me and my partner are the only gays in the town. Yes there is a gay club but it's mainly lesbian and transgendered/vestite bar. I see these good looking men, and they are on the arm of some dumpy woman, The nearest gay community groups are in Bristol but I can't keep paying £7 all the time in fares and Exeter miles away.

Neither of us drink, neither of us like clubbing which sadly most of the lads in my town are obsessed with. Adding to that, I have left-wing political views which are incomptiable with the rest of the town (mainly Tory area). Yes I joined the Labour Party in the town, but it's a small group and our 2015 candidate has a full-time day job. I don't like latching on to trends such as this twatty hipster thing. I'm mad on football, but most people are glory hunter Man U/Chelski/Liverpool supporters.

It shouldn't get me down but it does. What can I do? I feel like giving up and moving to Bristol, but can't afford to all the time.

Just Googled gay bars in Weston There seems to be a club called the Edge.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You may have to lower your standards.

Don't know Weston Super Mare but it cant be any different to any other big town in the country. Just get out there, you're not going to find it moping on here! Its also only a short train ride from Bristol, which I am sure has a gay community.

A bit confused by the BIB though, sounds more like your looking to go dating than just getting into a community.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weston Super Mare is a seaside resort, but it is full of Night Clubs etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You ever been to the town? I hate the clubs. Police are forever called in. Too many ***** who can't handle their drink. Avoid!!!!

That gay bar is the mainly lesbian/trans one. Its mainly older like 50 plus gay guys (Im nearly 30).

I'm not looking for threesomes or a sly shag on the side but it seems gays are virtually invisible in the town. Lots of lesbians.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You ever been to the town? I hate the clubs. Police are forever called in. Too many ***** who can't handle their drink. Avoid!!!!

That gay bar is the mainly lesbian/trans one. Its mainly older like 50 plus gay guys (Im nearly 30).

I'm not looking for threesomes or a sly shag on the side but it seems gays are virtually invisible in the town. Lots of lesbians.

I'm in Bristol, visit Weston about once a month, but only during the days, I have no idea about night life
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straight people make good mates too ! !
    I couldn't cope with all gay mates, to be honest I enjoy being the only gay couple when we go out with some of my friends.

Ive never needed to surround myself with gay mates unless they are people Ive known for years, I find new gay mates are usually looking for a shag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    browncube wrote: »
    Straight people make good mates too ! !
    I couldn't cope with all gay mates, to be honest I enjoy being the only gay couple when we go out with some of my friends.

Ive never needed to surround myself with gay mates unless they are people Ive known for years, I find new gay mates are usually looking for a shag.

Very good points made.

I'm straight but would have absolutely no reservations about going for a night out with gay friends and have done, I've even been the only straight in the group. You'll find a lot of straight people out there are completely comfortable with their sexuality with which you can forge relationships.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Very good points made.

I'm straight but would have absolutely no reservations about going for a night out with gay friends and have done, I've even been the only straight in the group. You'll find a lot of straight people out there are completely comfortable with their sexuality with which you can forge relationships.

It doesn't bother me straight or gay, but for some reason I am one of wanting to be in need of my own community group lately. I've made a tonne of online friends form a Football/Sports Group and 99pc of them are straight (wish some of the fitties were gay but more chance of a Yugoslavia reunification). There was one other gay fan but he isn't active and to be fair he was a bit scene and promiscious sort of man. Kind of upset me as I have been in stable relationship for four years, and he threw one he had on and off for five years cos he kept thinking with his bits.

Thing in my town, the guys only want to fight, get drunk and well shag anything. There is a macho culture and it probably stems with the area being rural and neighbouring rural areas. I am the polar opposite,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't bother me straight or gay, but for some reason I am one of wanting to be in need of my own community group lately. I've made a tonne of online friends form a Football/Sports Group and 99pc of them are straight (wish some of the fitties were gay but more chance of a Yugoslavia reunification). There was one other gay fan but he isn't active and to be fair he was a bit scene and promiscious sort of man. Kind of upset me as I have been in stable relationship for four years, and he threw one he had on and off for five years cos he kept thinking with his bits.

Thing in my town, the guys only want to fight, get drunk and well shag anything. There is a macho culture and it probably stems with the area being rural and neighbouring rural areas. I am the polar opposite,

I'm really confused by your desire for the 'fitties' to be gay! Why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm really confused by your desire for the 'fitties' to be gay! Why?

It's just me jesting, but I do wonder why do these hot fit guys have such "plain" girlfriends.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just me jesting, but I do wonder why do these hot fit guys have such "plain" girlfriends.

Because they're not shallow?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    are you sure you don't live in Llanddewi Brefi ;-):p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could try http://www.outdoorlads.com/ if you're not in to drinking/clubbing, i'm sure there are other gay groups that don't focus on drink/clubbing/sleeping with men.
    Unless you have a big sign saying gays live here i don't think you'll find gay mates by not going out and doing something
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So let me get this straight, you have a problem with men you view as attractive being with women you (for obvious reasons) don't find attractive. You have a problem with people's politics. You have a problem with 'this twatty hipster thing'. You have a problem with people supporting the 'wrong' football team.

The people in your town are probably glad you're one of a kind, if you're that selective and rude about people. That kind of attitude comes off a person like a bad smell and it will put people right off being friendly with you. The attractive men (whose girlfriends are probably perfectly attractive, but you don't fancy them because you don't fancy women) probably don't want to hang around with a guy who sneers at their girlfriends. As a non-football supporter, I can confirm that United/Liverpool etc supporters gas on about football as much as those who support other teams. My boyfriend is a 'twatty hipster' in your opinion probably, but he has plenty of gay friends and gets on like a house on fire with them. I know a few Tories, and so does everyone probably because they got the most votes at election, and in spite of being liberal myself, I don't spontaneously combust when I talk to them.

My advice? Stop looking for someone to tick a few neat little boxes that suit your 'ideal friend' list and go out and engage properly with people face to face as real human beings.

Incidentally, I have no idea why you're so keen for attractive guys to be gay. If nothing's going to happen, it doesn't matter where they stick their genitals. You seem to value looks over substance in a person though, which might be where you're going wrong in looking for friends.

EDIT - By the way, in case you found this ocerly critical, I've been guilty of this myself. I have trouble making friends with people who have different tastes to me or are less intelligent. I've found that sittitng around with a face like a smacked arse judging people has done nothing for my social life though, so I made some changes to my attitude!
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    So let me get this straight, you have a problem with men you view as attractive being with women you (for obvious reasons) don't find attractive. You have a problem with people's politics. You have a problem with 'this twatty hipster thing'. You have a problem with people supporting the 'wrong' football team.

The people in your town are probably glad you're one of a kind, if you're that selective and rude about people. That kind of attitude comes off a person like a bad smell and it will put people right off being friendly with you. The attractive men (whose girlfriends are probably perfectly attractive, but you don't fancy them because you don't fancy women) probably don't want to hang around with a guy who sneers at their girlfriends. As a non-football supporter, I can confirm that United/Liverpool etc supporters gas on about football as much as those who support other teams. My boyfriend is a 'twatty hipster' in your opinion probably, but he has plenty of gay friends and gets on like a house on fire with them. I know a few Tories, and so does everyone probably because they got the most votes at election, and in spite of being liberal myself, I don't spontaneously combust when I talk to them.

My advice? Stop looking for someone to tick a few neat little boxes that suit your 'ideal friend' list and go out and engage properly with people face to face as real human beings.

Incidentally, I have no idea why you're so keen for attractive guys to be gay. If nothing's going to happen, it doesn't matter where they stick their genitals. You seem to value looks over substance in a person though, which might be where you're going wrong in looking for friends.

EDIT - By the way, in case you found this ocerly critical, I've been guilty of this myself. I have trouble making friends with people who have different tastes to me or are less intelligent. I've found that sittitng around with a face like a smacked arse judging people has done nothing for my social life though, so I made some changes to my attitude!

to summise you come across as a t*t, but yeah what they said ^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i suppose this is what we all thinking really.
  • Options
    UndefinedUndefined Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    There is a macho culture and it probably stems with the area being rural and neighbouring rural areas.

Is anyone else confused by this? I find people are more laid back in rural areas!
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said, I agree.

I think the poster should look at himself rather than blaming other people for all the things he sees in them he doesn't like. Perhaps even appreciate some of the good things he does have in his life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Undefined wrote: »
    Is anyone else confused by this? I find people are more laid back in rural areas!

I'm finding the OPs whole approach a bit confusing tbh
  • Options
    UndefinedUndefined Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I'm finding the OPs whole approach a bit confusing tbh

True! :D