Unrealistic reactions in soaps

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I the only viewer appalled by the reactions of various characters in soaps when a big drama or tragedy strikes? some characters act like they couldn't give a monkeys when someone dies or there is a big crisis, even if it's happening to someone they know well! Equally, people seem to get over things ridiculously fast!

Case in point: Freddie's 'death' in Corrie: Er, Steve, fancy getting some feelings any time soon, and preferably ones that live above your belt? Claire was a long-term employee and some-time friend of his; her baby is burned to death and he barely turns a hair. One mention to Michelle in the whole 2 episodes last night, and that was token before they started getting down to business in the cab office. Equally Lloyd didn't seem to give a flying one, again, a colleague of Claires! And why did Roy and Hayley care so much in comparison? Are they really that obsessed with kiddies that they have to become involved every time one is around? :rolleyes:

Case in point: EE, the crash. Where was Pat, or 'Nanna' Pat as Peter and Lucy call her?! Maybe she had more pressing issues to hand than being overtly concerned by her pseudo-grandson's life hanging in the balance? And how did Peter get better so quickly?! He should've been tucked up in bed, exhausted and at least vaguely decrepit, not jumping round the living room!

While we're at it, whose paying 150 smackers to be seen with Mickey for an evening? with that receding mullet and stumpy legs, you'd have to pay me £150 to be seen dead with him!

Comments

• ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    Am I the only viewer appalled by the reactions of various characters in soaps when a big drama or tragedy strikes? some characters act like they couldn't give a monkeys when someone dies or there is a big crisis, even if it's happening to someone they know well! Equally, people seem to get over things ridiculously fast!

Case in point: Freddie's 'death' in Corrie: Er, Steve, fancy getting some feelings any time soon, and preferably ones that live above your belt? Claire was a long-term employee and some-time friend of his; her baby is burned to death and he barely turns a hair. One mention to Michelle in the whole 2 episodes last night, and that was token before they started getting down to business in the cab office. Equally Lloyd didn't seem to give a flying one, again, a colleague of Claires! And why did Roy and Hayley care so much in comparison? Are they really that obsessed with kiddies that they have to become involved every time one is around? :rolleyes:

Case in point: EE, the crash. Where was Pat, or 'Nanna' Pat as Peter and Lucy call her?! Maybe she had more pressing issues to hand than being overtly concerned by her pseudo-grandson's life hanging in the balance? And how did Peter get better so quickly?! He should've been tucked up in bed, exhausted and at least vaguely decrepit, not jumping round the living room!

While we're at it, whose paying 150 smackers to be seen with Mickey for an evening? with that receding mullet and stumpy legs, you'd have to pay me £150 to be seen dead with him!

:D excellent post - agree on all observations!
  • actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    i agree, i though Steve was heartless yesterday, especially when he wasn't impressed that Eileen wasn't coming into work, she'd spent the whole night at the hospital with a colleague who believed her baby had burned to death, with Eileen being the last one to see him alive (as she thought at the time)

Then you have Deirdre, Roy and Hayley all hysterical about it all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on OP! :D

It really makes me laugh hen stuff like this happens. Like when they have funerals and the parents or siblings have left the series and they don't even turn up for the funeral! Or even get a mention. Why wouldn't Michelle have come back for Paulines funeral!!?
    Forum Member
    Fred Elliot's funeral was a disgrace, there was hardly anyone there, everyone turned up for the wedding which was unrealistic because you wouldnt invite the whole street to your wedding but hardly anyone went to the funeral

Don't even get me started on Fowler / Beale funerals
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, I don't know how many episodes of Emmerdale I've missed since Len's death (I assume just Friday), but no one seems to give one about his recent demise either! Wasn't Betty vaguely in with the Pensioner Posse? They all drink in the same bloody pub anyway, if a regular at my local passed away unexpectedly we'd all be upset and commiserating, not earwigging the young-'uns' conversation and congratulating Andy on his forthcoming nuptials with a big beaming chesire cat across my chops!

Where is the humanity?! :D
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    Also, I don't know how many episodes of Emmerdale I've missed since Len's death (I assume just Friday), but no one seems to give one about his recent demise either! Wasn't Betty vaguely in with the Pensioner Posse? They all drink in the same bloody pub anyway, if a regular at my local passed away unexpectedly we'd all be upset and commiserating, not earwigging the two young-'uns' conversation and congratulating Andy on his forthcoming nuptials with a big beaming chesire cat across her chops!

Where is the humanity?! :D

The man's not even been buried and they've got 'Viv's 50' plastered across the Woolpack. Hardly sensitive!
    Forum Member
    I remember when a death in a soap was a huge thing, nowadays they happen so often the characters dont seem to care, and to be honest most of the viewers dont

If Mike Baldwin had died in the 90's, there would have been national mourning but when he died last year it was over and done with in 2 episodes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I keep bumping my own thread here, but the examples just keep coming to me!

Hollyoaks: the fire in the Dog is a classic example of unrealistic reactions in soap. Not only does Russ very quickly recover from the death of his girlfriend (who he was cheating on no less! Hello life-long guilt? Are you there?), but also did he give a toss about Russ perishing? They were best buds for years! Again barely an eyelid batted. Likewise Rhys for Olivia (they were sh*gging for some unfathomable reason, what a terrible pairing), not a tear shed. Equally terrible was Kris' treatment of Jess, picking on her non-stop whilst she guiltily grieved for her friend after treating her badly before her death. As if anyone would be so heartless and cruel, even if you don't like someone you don't berate them mercilessly whilst they are grieving for a loved one, that's bordering on sociopathic!

I have decided to forgive Kris on the grounds of being a massive fittie, but I've still got my eye on you, m'laddo :D
    Forum Member
    I know I keep bumping my own thread here, but the examples just keep coming to me!

Hollyoaks: the fire in the Dog is a classic example of unrealistic reactions in soap. Not only does Russ very quickly recover from the death of his girlfriend (who he was cheating on no less! Hello life-long guilt? Are you there?), but also did he give a toss about Russ perishing? They were best buds for years! :D

do you mean Joe?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally do mean Joe, cheers bud :)

I guess it was wishful thinking that Russ had fallen off his perch :D
    Forum Member
    I totally do mean Joe, cheers bud :)

I guess it was wishful thinking that Russ had fallen off his perch :D

we can all live in hope
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we can all live in hope
    Well there are spoilers that he splits up with Mercerdes and does leave the village

I'm sorry for going off topic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are spoilers that he splits up with Mercerdes and does leave the village

I'm sorry for going off topic.

come on Soap Gods, make it so! I've been praying for it for long enough! Maybe they can do a storyline where Russ goes off to acting school, as he clearly flunked the first time round :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    It annoyed me that Deidre got the last line in that fire episode. "goodnight freddie."

Did she have that much to do with him in the first place? I'm sick of her whining and that line should have been Eileens or somebody else's
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does Demi never come visit her dad and twin brother in Eastenders?
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Demi visits on a Saturday:D If would be nice for them to mention she visited but not seen on screen.

I think the whole Steve/Claire thing was rushed and insensitive because of the whole rearranging of the plot
  • LlamaKingLlamaKing Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBF, Roy is Freddie's godfather and they are generally caring people. Hayley helped out at the Underworld fire because she could, now she's just helping her feloow neighbour.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I totally agree. I was quite surprised that more people on the Street weren't upset, even remarking on the fire would have been something. Steve and Michelle and Liam and Leanne acted as if it was just another day. Cilla's crass behaviour I can forgive as she has never shown an ounce of feeling for anyone else and traumatic episodes do need an injection of light relief.

But soap funerals are a different matter. At the end of the day it is a job for actors, and they leave and get involved with something else, so you can't possibly have all the family that should be at a funeral in attendance. I think the mistake soaps make is actually trying to excuse someon's absence. They should just not refer to the person at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe Pat came to visit off screen (or maybe I'm coming up with a useless answer :p:D) Didn't a weekend go past until Peter came home? I guess the Mickey thing is a matter of taste in men :p:D I'm sure there are many teenage girls who would pay thousands for a bit of Mickey (or maybe not :D)
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the reactions to the stunt in EE were very poor. No one in the Square didn't care apart from the families themselves, also Peter made a pretty quick recovery.

Also i remember the plane crash in Neighbours. They focused too much on who planted the bomb? than us seeing the residents mourn for the people who lost their lives in the crash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree deaths in general are being badly handled late.y

Usually they get an ep then they are forgotten about. Even by friends!! It's quite sad, I know people don't want to JUST see people crying all the time but life doesn't have to go on two minutes after a good friend has died, surely?