Hardly seem to be watching any soaps these days...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can't be bothered to articulate too much (Friday afternoon slump!) but I watch Corrie once in a blue moon these days. It's a shame, it was my absolute favourite soap by a country mile just a couple of years ago.

I've also stopped watching Emmerdale as it has become too pants, and very rarely dip in to EE anymore, as I hate nearly all the characters and it always seems to have either the insufferable Sean, or the insufferable Tanya, or the insufferable Roxy/Ronnie on screen whenever I happen to switch it on. The only soap I regularly watch is H'Oaks, and if they don't get rid of this ridiculous Newt storyline and the Max and Steph snore-fest sharpish I can't say I'll be watching that for much longer either.

Has this happened to anyone else? I used to faithfully watch 'the big 3' and H'oaks every time they were on, particularly EE and Corrie, but now I almost feel dread when I watch, as I know I will be bored sh*tless within minutes.

Can anyone else relate? BTW, I'm not looking for any "Well what are you doing in the soaps forum then?!" or "Some people are never satisfied" smart-arse replies, I genuinely want to know if I am alone in this view.

Comments

• Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, what are you doing in a soap forum then?

some people are never satisified.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arf. You comedian!
  • Official DivaOfficial Diva Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    I have to say only soap I watch now is EastEnders. I used to watch Corrie and Hollyoaks. Never been into Emmerdale but dipped in for big episodes every now and again. I went off Corrie last year. I also dropped out from Hollyoaks about 5 months ago and haven't bothered it since. Not to say both are no good, I wouldn't know.

I just find I have more things to do thesedays. I think being a viewer of all soaps really damages your health actually! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's not great spending around 2 hours a night watching soaps, but I miss watching at least 1/2 regularly and really looking forward to them when they come on, I know it sounds sad but when you're knackered from work and need something a bit mindless to watch there's nothing better, soaps always used to fill that hole for me. Now most of them set my teeth on edge with the bad acting and either far-fetched or seen-it-a-million-times-before storylines.

At Uni I used to watch all the UK and Oz soaps... upholding the time-honoured tradition of all students being lazy b*stards!
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I still love Easties and Hollyoaks. Most of the characters in these two soaps are really good and they have interesting storylines.

But Coronation Street is really poor at the moment and has no good storylines. The show has been ruined by the Connors. It's going to take a big effort to get the show back to how it used to be.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    I used to watch Corrie, EE, Neighbours, Home and Away, Emmerdale.

H&A from 1988 till 92/93
    Emmerdale from 1989 till 94/95
    Neighbours 1987 till 1998
    Eastenders 1985 till 2003/04
    Corrie 1980 - ????. The only decent soap left
  • Muckle FluggaMuckle Flugga Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be bothered to articulate too much (Friday afternoon slump!) but I watch Corrie once in a blue moon these days. It's a shame, it was my absolute favourite soap by a country mile just a couple of years ago.

I've also stopped watching Emmerdale as it has become too pants, and very rarely dip in to EE anymore, as I hate nearly all the characters and it always seems to have either the insufferable Sean, or the insufferable Tanya, or the insufferable Roxy/Ronnie on screen whenever I happen to switch it on. The only soap I regularly watch is H'Oaks, and if they don't get rid of this ridiculous Newt storyline and the Max and Steph snore-fest sharpish I can't say I'll be watching that for much longer either.

Has this happened to anyone else? I used to faithfully watch 'the big 3' and H'oaks every time they were on, particularly EE and Corrie, but now I almost feel dread when I watch, as I know I will be bored sh*tless within minutes.

Can anyone else relate? BTW, I'm not looking for any "Well what are you doing in the soaps forum then?!" or "Some people are never satisfied" smart-arse replies, I genuinely want to know if I am alone in this view.

Emmerdale got so bad a few months ago that I gave up watching, Coronation St isn't much better at the moment, but Eastenders is currently the only soap that I wouldn't want to miss :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Back in 04/05 I think I was actually watching all the big 3 -even Corrie which I never really watched... but now I don't. I used to watch Sons & Daughters and Prisoner (AUssie soaps) and even Dynasty in its day, but now I watch far less "soaps".

I was glued to the set watching EE 05, but now I really struggle to watch it - though I really want to, as I've watched it from the beginning and so have invested ALOT of time viewing nearly ever episode from 85-2005, the first 20 years. That's a long time. But Harwood ruined it for me in 06, and it hasn't felt like EE since then.

Sigh.

I keep watching hoping that one day it will feel like EE again.

But no soap atm has really grabbed my attention (and from the people I talk too I'm not alone in that sentiment). The last time a soap felt like must-see TV was during Sharon, Chrissie, and Den's time in EE. Since then I think everything has gone downhill. :(
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,211
    Forum Member
    I have gone off HO a bit, because it seems to be about JP all the bloody time and his love life :yawn:

But I never miss EE! I luv it! and Tanya is not insufferable! She is one of the best characters in EE!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone else relate?

Yes me. I never really even come onthe soap forum anymore, i mostly use the apprentice forum but i decided to pop in tonight and seeing this thread i totally relate to it.

The only soap i can tolerate now is Corrie and even then i find it hard to get into it. I don't watch much of it now. Not watched Emmerdale EastEnders or Home & Away since about 2004 and if i do catch a bit of them i am really not interested in watching it anymore. I stopped watching Neighbours a few months before it moved to 5. Ned and his son were irritating me and i was just fed up with the show really. Never watched Hollyoaks.

I have all 692 episodes of prisoner cell block h on dvd:rolleyes: [90 smackers on ebay and pretty good quality for bootlegs] sometimes i put it on but i get bored of it pretty quickly. I also had the 1980's corrie boxset which i sold on ebay recently.

I think Soaps have had their day really
  • glitta17glitta17 Posts: 2,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch corrie, hollyoaks and eastenders, rarely watch corrie gotten really boring, stopped watching hollyoaks because i got bored and eastenders is good at the moment maybe ill watch hollyoaks at the moment seems good!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who don't keep up with the Big 3 soaps need to get a life:rolleyes:
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    I used to watch all the soaps but the last 2 years I just stick with Eastenders and Hollyoaks. I also watch Neighbours now and again if I'm home from work on time. It's just a habit I come home and put it on I don't actually enjoy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i watch corrie, ee, emmerdale and out of the blue, sometimes i dip into ho but that is it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    I only watch Neighbours now.
    Used to watch Oaks and Enders as well but Oaks lost me with it's Maria rubbish and Enders just became far too predictable and borin for my liking.
    Neighbours consistently rules!
  • glow_wormglow_worm Posts: 2,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only one I watch religously is EastEnders. Have since day one so probably won't ever give it up.

Corrie I watch regularly but not every episode. And I find myself tuning in to the ITV2 episodes more and more these days. It's just not something I can be bothered with of an evening at the moment so I watch the next day instead.

It's much better than it was a few months ago so it's nothing to do with the quality but I just don't want to give up too much of my evening to soaps.

Hollyoaks is the only other soap I ever dip into from time to time. It's perfect 'watch while yer having yer tea' fodder. I usually find that you can stop watching for about 3 months and tune back in to find the same storylines going on. And sometimes the characters disappear for literally months in the middle of a storyline so that can get a little annoying for me.

Emmerdale I gave up watching when Steph left and haven't missed it since. The general consensus and ratings indicate it's gone downhill anyway so I'm sure I'm not missing much.

The others I have never watched. Overall I am watching less than I used to - I always watched the big three religously on first showing for years and years. I do agree that soaps can be very predictable but after so many years of watching you're going to get that. I bet for new viewers who discover soaps they'll be less formulaic to them and what we liked about soaps so much in the beginning will capture them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch EastEnders.

Used to watch Emmerdale, Corrie and Hollyoaks until earlier this year. Lost interest in all three of them especially Emmerdale, what the hell happened to it? Oh yeah - Anita Turner!