The Pillars of the Earth (Canada / US Pace)

Comments

• boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I think it's a double

Awesome:)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Just completed the series. Highly enjoyed that! Fantastic story and a great production. Hope Starz continue their trend of churning out quality series like this.

My only criticism is that personally I would have liked it to have aired as a 4 part mini series with 2 hour episodes, in the vein of the great mini series that populated PrimeTime TV in the 80s and early 90s. But that's just a personal like for the traditional format mini series.

Anyone know whether the continuation novel will be adapted by Starz too? Hopefully they will, and will also look at padapting other good historical novels.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    Hope Starz continue their trend of churning out quality series like this.

Starz didn't make it, they just imported it to the US. The show was a Canadian-German co-production that I first read about a long time ago on the TV Eh? website. Starz just bought US rights to the show in March of this year.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, thoroughly enjoyed that. Just the right length (as opposed to The Tudors, which for me has gone on too long!).

K
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the OH has enjoyed this and he normally hates "period drama's"
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah was thoroughly enjoyable, well-acted and with a truly epic feel, and span. Think I preferred it to the book in a way.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Starz didn't make it, they just imported it to the US. The show was a Canadian-German co-production that I first read about a long time ago on the TV Eh? website. Starz just bought US rights to the show in March of this year.

In which case how come it's branded as a Starz Original? I take it that just means that Starz bought the rights to show the show from the production companies that filmed it?

I thought it was very entertaining. Some of the characters could have been developed a bit more to make them less one-dimensional but other than that it was pretty gripping. I look forward to the next book they're doing.

I did like seeing some properly large scale battle scenes done. One of the things that has disappointed about other period dramas is how they skip over the fighting (Rome I'm looking in your direction...)
    Forum Member
    Spacedone wrote: »
    In which case how come it's branded as a Starz Original? I take it that just means that Starz bought the rights to show the show from the production companies that filmed it?

Starz bought AMERICAN transmission rights from the Canadian and German companies that filmed it.

As for why Starz would brand it a "Starz Original," I'm afraid that happens all the time when American channels are showing an imported show. Case in point: Last September, an obscure American channel called Ion showed a Canadian drama called Durham County, the first season of which had aired in 2007 in Canada. It was still billed as an "Ion Original" when it aired in the US. I have seen the same thing happen with shows imported from Britain. All the Americans care about is whether something has been shown in America before. If it is new to America, then it's "original.":)
    Forum Member
    Well, that was fantastic. I've been caught off giuard by how much I enjoyed it:) I'm a proper fuss-pot when it comes to telly and I've watched three things in the last few months that have really suprised me. This, Spartacus, and Deadwood (late to the party on that one I know.) It was Ian Mcshane that stopped me watching Deadwood for so long and it was Ian McShane that made me watch Pillars. I had him all wrong:D Deadwood blew me away and changed my opinion of him. I always wonder about people who can play such b******s with such ease! Regardless, he's great entertainment in Deadwood and Pillars, and it was great seeing him get his just desserts.

Interesting that this and Person's unknown have finished at he same time. PE is right up my street, concept wise, and when I first read on here about a programme about a cathedral being built, I thought meh, and yet at the end of both, Pillars will stay in mind for a long time with a warm fondness everytime I recall it, whereas I doubt I'll talk about PE further than the chat to a mate who's been watching to agree on what a let down it was.

Thanks Spaintv I very much doubt I'd have seen this is it wasn't for this thread:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to echo the thanks to spaintv. Never would have tried it if it hadn't been for this thread. Still to start on "This is not my life" - that's up next!

K
    Forum Member
    boxx wrote: »
    It was Ian Mcshane that stopped me watching Deadwood for so long and it was Ian McShane that made me watch Pillars. I had him all wrong:D Deadwood blew me away and changed my opinion of him. I always wonder about people who can play such b******s with such ease! Regardless, he's great entertainment in Deadwood and Pillars, and it was great seeing him get his just desserts.

Do you have a DVD player that can play Region 1 DVD's from America? If you do, I would recommend obtaining the American DVD of a series starring McShane that the UK never imported and likely never will. The series is called Kings, and was outstanding but never got good ratings, so its 13-episode first season is its only season.
    Forum Member
    I'll look it up, thanks:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really really enjoyed the finale, just watch the last 4 eps back to back.

I've always been interested in cathedral architecture, I think we forget how lucky we are to have these amazing buildings in this country. Such history.

The ending was such a joy and what a great idea to end seeing the cathedral today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a DVD player that can play Region 1 DVD's from America? If you do, I would recommend obtaining the American DVD of a series starring McShane that the UK never imported and likely never will. The series is called Kings, and was outstanding but never got good ratings, so its 13-episode first season is its only season.

The whole series is available to download, just checked. So if you have the means.................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched the first 6 eps of Kings. A curious combination of modern and ancient. I feel it "shoehorned" the biblical name references unnecessarily as the basic story is good enough to stand on its own merit. The use of ancient names just stops me from getting totally immersed in the plot (although "David Shepherd" works rather well!!!).

K
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    I feel it "shoehorned" the biblical name references unnecessarily as the basic story is good enough to stand on its own merit.

But that is making it sound like the Biblical names and references are just there to be cute. The whole point of the show was to tell the story of the Old Testament David in a modern setting -- without letting people forget that it IS an Old Testament story they are watching unfold. I mean, consider the BBC series Sherlock. I suppose it would have been possible to tell the story of a brilliant "consulting detective" and his partner with all the names and references from the Conan Doyle stories changed, but the point of the show was to take Conan Doyle's stuff and put it in a new era, notwithstanding that certain purists would hate that idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that is making it sound like the Biblical names and references are just there to be cute. The whole point of the show was to tell the story of the Old Testament David in a modern setting -- without letting people forget that it IS an Old Testament story they are watching unfold. I mean, consider the BBC series Sherlock. I suppose it would have been possible to tell the story of a brilliant "consulting detective" and his partner with all the names and references from the Conan Doyle stories changed, but the point of the show was to take Conan Doyle's stuff and put it in a new era, notwithstanding that certain purists would hate that idea.
    Yes, but they haven't honoured the names in their entirety. Why change Saul to Silas, or Jonathan to Jack, for example? Either don't bother changing the names at all (in a similar way to "modern" versions of Shakesperean plays) or just completely ignore them and make up new characters names to hang the story on. And, I don't know if I'm wrong, but I don't remember there being any butterflies mentioned in any version of the Bible!

Don't get me wrong, I do quite enjoy it but just find myself "taken out of the story" when wondering which character is supposed to be which (especially with Jack/Jonathan).

K
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Yes, but they haven't honoured the names in their entirety. Why change Saul to Silas, or Jonathan to Jack, for example? Either don't bother changing the names at all (in a similar way to "modern" versions of Shakesperean plays) or just completely ignore them and make up new characters names to hang the story on. And, I don't know if I'm wrong, but I don't remember there being any butterflies mentioned in any version of the Bible!

Don't get me wrong, I do quite enjoy it but just find myself "taken out of the story" when wondering which character is supposed to be which (especially with Jack/Jonathan).

K

My own theory on the Saul/Silas thing is that Saul is such an obviously Jewish name that making a Saul a villain in a TV show would make some crazy people in America accuse the show of anti-Semitism. Believe me, such crazies exist.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad, but true!

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, finished "Kings". Not bad. Rather a shame there aren't any more series, as I was getting to rather enjoy it. Perhaps, had it been a cable show, it might have been given time and room to grow.

K
    Forum Member

Spanish Media are today reporting that Starz has given the go ahead for the production of the Pillars sequel, World Without End.

The news has broken in Spain following the conclusion of Pillars of the Earth on Spanish commercial broadcaster Cuatro. With Pillars having been the most successful import to ever air on the channel, Cuatro has been quick to announce that they will also be screening the sequel, which as yet has not received a production start date or air date.

Spanish language link I'm afraid:
    http://vertele.com/noticias/28817/pilares-tierra-mundo-fin-cuatro
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spanish Media are today reporting that Starz has given the go ahead for the production of the Pillars sequel, World Without End.

The news has broken in Spain following the conclusion of Pillars of the Earth on Spanish commercial broadcaster Cuatro. With Pillars having been the most successful import to ever air on the channel, Cuatro has been quick to announce that they will also be screening the sequel, which as yet has not received a production start date or air date.

Spanish language link I'm afraid:
    http://vertele.com/noticias/28817/pilares-tierra-mundo-fin-cuatro

Oh I've not read that one yet, have got it here on my "to read" list. Not sure if I'll watch the show first, and then read the book, for a bit of a contrast to the first one.
    Forum Member
    Oh I've not read that one yet, have got it here on my "to read" list. Not sure if I'll watch the show first, and then read the book, for a bit of a contrast to the first one.

There's probably time :) Spanish news reports are stating that although Starz has greenlit the production, it is yet to establish a time frame for production / broadcast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's probably time :) Spanish news reports are stating that although Starz has greenlit the production, it is yet to establish a time frame for production / broadcast.

Yep. Nice to know Starz are going to do more of this type of quality stuff, but it will take plenty of time to do right.