the champions

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
i used to love watching this when i was a lot younger, just watched an episode on itv4 and what bad acting there is anyone else watch this now or used to.????/

Comments

• kinetic747kinetic747 Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love it when I was younger as I had a bit of a crush on Alexandra Bastedo. :D
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes she looks nice in the tv series, i heard she not a bad looker now still.:D
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    The Champions is FANTASTIC!

Yes, the acting may be wooden ( MsBastedo particularly), but its great fun , her hair looks like a living hell to maintain, and the colours are quite trippy. But its so much fun! I love the way they recycle the same set over and over , and had two or three episodes in submarines just to save money on the sets.

Complete nonsense, highly entertaining and with the best theme tune EVER in TV history ( other than Starsky and Hutch).
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read an article about Alexandra Bastido a couple of weeks ago. Something to do with the goats she kept in an animal sanctuary getting stoned on magic mushrooms :D Nice to know she's still around though.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes she looks nice in the tv series, i heard she not a bad looker now still.:D

she actually pops up in Batman Begins , she's at wayne's party and introduces him to Ras Al Ghul .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved all those 60s ITV series - the Champions, Jason King, Department S, Randall and Hopkirk, the Persuaders, the Saint et al.
  • curlybaggiecurlybaggie Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    kinetic747 wrote: »
    I used to love it when I was younger as I had a bit of a crush on Alexandra Bastedo. :D

who didn't? lol.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.abcanimalsanctuary.co.uk/

The best plots were the preposterous ones. My fave Champions ep was the one with the completely fake police station .......

Also miss Jason King

http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/2/3/Celebrity-Image-Peter-Wyngarde-237578.jpg
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    I loved all those 60s ITV series - the Champions, Jason King, Department S, Randall and Hopkirk, the Persuaders, the Saint et al.

Lew Grade!

"From its inception, Grade wanted ITC to provide fare that could be used to crack the lucrative American market, which he did so successfully that ATV won the Queen's Award to Industry for Export Achievement three times. Eventually Grade became almost as well known as his projects, renowned for his prodigious office hours (from 6 AM to 7.30 PM), dancing the Charleston at his sumptuous press junkets, his gargantuan Havana cigars and Samuel Goldwyn-like witticisms (asked how much two plus two make, he apparently replied, "Are you buying or selling?"), most of which were doubtless apocryphal."

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/people/id/482705/
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My cousin Sharon is so named because of Ms Bastedo's character. My uncle was a bit keen on her, apparantly.
  • unopenedboxunopenedbox Posts: 133
    Forum Member

Just to be pedantic , The Persuaders and Jason King are both 1970's shows ;)

But I agree , the ITC shows of the 60's and 70's were the best thing on tv back then and thats why they are still on more than 40 years after production despite ITV's best attempts to bury most of them when they were first screened and even moreso when they were repeated.

They've certainly fared better than any of the ITV peaktime dross that was screened at the time and we've already got 2 on Bluray - The Prisoner and Space 1999 so let's hope The Champions is next

There is an excellent dvd boxset of The Champions which includes a documentary reuniting the 3 leads for the first time since they made the show.

Worth buying just for that .
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    ITV should have kept making these cult classics. Never been anything decent on since.
    Whole family could enjoy them. Its all police stuff on telly these days
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    also struck on space 1999 much later of course..
  • curlybaggiecurlybaggie Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    there was also

the protectors
    man in a suitcase
    the baron
    the zoo gang
    anyone remember any more?
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    ITV should have kept making these cult classics. Never been anything decent on since.
    Whole family could enjoy them. Its all police stuff on telly these days

ITV were not interested in them really and buried them when they could.
    ITC made them predominantly for international sales and while The Saint was a hit none of the others really made any impact on the key US market.
    So ITC made them as long as they could .
    The Persuaders actually went to real foreign locations instead of back projection and it cost a fortune but although it was popular all over the world it didn't work in the vital US market which is why there was never a second season.

Once the action adventure boom died out ITC made Space 1999 as a co-production with Italian tv .
    After Space they had one last go at action adventure with Return of the Saint , again in collaboration with Italian tv but it didn't work and being forced to film in the boring towns and countryside of Italy for some episodes certainly didn't help.

Back then the IBA frowned upon using ITV money to boost the coffers of individuals like Lew Grade and ITC and it was this blatant pandering to the US market that was part of the reason that the IBA forced all the changes at ATV that resulted in Grade being kicked out and ATV morphing into Central.
    It was the next step down from taking the franchise away - something they didn't have the balls to do at the time with any of the network companies.
    also struck on space 1999 much later of course..

Only 5 years.
    Although Space didn't appear until 1975 production started in 1973 and despite being the most expensive UK tv series ever made at the time ITV wasted it and refused to network the show with some regions taking the ludicrous decision to screen it directly opposite Dr Who.
    The second series was treated even worse.
    After it became apparent that the appointment of US producer Fred Freiberger had lead to the show being almost a live action cartoon with silly monsters it got dumped .
    A couple of regions refused to show it at all and those regions only ever got to see it for the first time 20 years later when it was shown on BBC2.
    Most regions aired it on weekend mornings or afternoons .
    Parent company ATV showed it in kids hour on Thursdays at 4.45 - if only kids shows had that budget these days.
    Seemingly at a loss to know where to put it Yorkshire tv showed a run of some episodes in an 11pm weeknight slot.
    Forum Member
    there was also

the protectors
    man in a suitcase
    the baron
    the zoo gang
    anyone remember any more?

Danger Man 1960
    Danger Man 1964
    Gideons Way
    The Saint B&W
    The Saint colour
    Randall & Hopkirk
    Department S
    The Adventurer
    Jason King
    The Persuaders
    Return of the Saint

ITC did make several other filmed series but they were less well known and in B&W so like Gideons Way had all but vanished by 1970.

ITC also made all the Gerry Anderson shows from Supercar to Space 1999 with the exception of Into Infinity that was made for US tv in between the 2 seasons of Space 1999 and with largely the same crew as season 2
  • Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member

ITC were a fantastic TV company and highly underrated for their achievements of so many smash hit shows.

They knew how to make a show where the edits and bad effect didn't matter as it was the show that gripped you. Nowadays it's great special effects, shame about the story and characters.
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't my favourite but I used to watch it. All the above comments re Alexandra are entirely justified - one of the most stunning women ever. She looked even better in The Aphrodite Inheritance which I have such fond memories of watching, back in 1979. It STILL hasn't been released on DVD after all these years. :mad: