Options

Prometheus - Ridley Scotts Alien Prequel

Comments

• Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this looks amazing - was already super excited for this film, then I watched the new trailers
    Wow, just wow.

Cant wait
  • Options
    K2rayK2ray Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    We are assuming that the ship seen in Prometheus is the same one as that found on LV426.

It may simply be of the same design.

Certainly - in the trailer, the landscape where the ship crashes doesn't look like LV426.

100% Not the same planet.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    K2ray wrote: »
    Apparently the lead writer tweeted seeing a rough cut of the film as said it was brutal. Looking good!

This 'rough cut' is likely to be the one we may see on DVD as opposed to in cinemas! :cool: There's no way the studio will accept anything other than a 12A/PG-13.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This 'rough cut' is likely to be the one we may see on DVD as opposed to in cinemas! :cool: There's no way the studio will accept anything other than a 12A/PG-13.

I would say currently its 50/50 amongst studio execs. They'd be foolish not to take into consideration the reaction from the fans (plus look at past mistakes, i.e giving AVP a 12A/PG13 rating then see it tank at the box office).
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% Not the same planet.

I think it is.

From the trailer, is the humanoid in the alien skin the main antagonist?
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I either read or heard that with regard to certification they were consciously keeping their options open, I guess a decision will be made very soon if it hasn't been made already. I know for sure there is some heavy duty stuff in there, so beyond a shadow of a doubt there will eventually be an R / unrated version. It's a tough call, actually - obviously the hardcore adult fans will want that, but it's already clear to see that the premise would be really intriguing to a slightly younger audience. I think they'll go for the R myself, but they'll want a 15 in the UK, so there could be be trims to either version.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the Alien films have been re-rated down to 15's now, so just because it's a 15 doesn't mean it'll be tame and with not much violence/gore.

Of course, I could certainly see 20th Century Fox insisting on a 12A/PG-13 release and leaving the full uncut film to DVD/BluRay. They've done it before and no doubt will do it again. :mad:
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the full trailer and it reminded me of an episode of Star Trek Next Gen, they all meet on a planet and get a holographic message about seeding the galaxy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is.

From the trailer, is the humanoid in the alien skin the main antagonist?

LV-426 (planet in Alien) did not have waterfall/water but of course this is 39 years after the Prometheus expedition.

My hunch is that this film takes place on a planet/moon near LV-426.
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LV-426 (planet in Alien) did not have waterfall/water but of course this is 39 years after the Prometheus expedition.

My hunch is that this film takes place on a planet/moon near LV-426.

It didn't have any water that we saw in "Alien / Aliens" but who knows what might have changed in that time?. I think it too much of a coincidence that the Derelict craft from those movies is shown in the trailer crashing and falling back down onto its side.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We only saw a tiny fraction of the planet in Alien. I don't think Aliens is canon, and even if it is, we only saw another fraction. Both times the weather and visibility was poor. Perhaps those two films visited in winter and Prometheus is in summer. There could easily be a waterfall 5 or 10 miles away from the action in either film.
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aliens is actually on E4 at 10pm tonight, not sure if its the special edition though.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that water fall is definately Iceland from your article - but those rock formations where instantly recognisable from the Isle of Skye
    http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/filming-location-roundup/
    http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/photos-from-the-isle-of-skye-pickups/
    Moony wrote: »
    We are assuming that the ship seen in Prometheus is the same one as that found on LV426.

It may simply be of the same design.

Certainly - in the trailer, the landscape where the ship crashes doesn't look like LV426.

good point that :o:o:o:D:D
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing this is a kind of prequel to Alien, I'll add my own take on the footage we've seen so far & what Ridley has said so far. Here goes!

Ridley has stated that the film offers clues/questions to how we originated. There is a scene where Noomi discovers an ancient drawing which I believe is a clue to where the planetoid is, hence the mission to the planetoid.

In the egg chamber, there is clearly a humanoid face. The eggs appear to infect some of the expedition crew to the chamber (one scene shows an egg releasing some kind of spore/phosphurous goo at someones head NOT a facehugger!)

It looks like some kind of supernatural /elemental force follows the expedition crew back to the Prometheus. The infected crew turn on the others. I believe that the android (fasbinder) is also infected,but with wildly differing results.

I think somehow, he becomes the Space jockey. I also think the planetoid itself is/becomes biomechanical, (scenes show Noomi jumping over opening gaps on the surface, which appears 'mechanised')

I think the waterfall scene is actually earth at an early point, not the planetoid. And the humanoid is 'man' at his creation point.

Ridley has hinted that the film offers clues to mankinds origin/end. Somehow the Prometheus expedition is linked to our creation & demise.
    Anyway, theories/schmeoories!:p;)
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    We only saw a tiny fraction of the planet in Alien. I don't think Aliens is canon, and even if it is, we only saw another fraction. Both times the weather and visibility was poor. Perhaps those two films visited in winter and Prometheus is in summer. There could easily be a waterfall 5 or 10 miles away from the action in either film.

It's a bigger problem that that though re Aliens. The entire premise of the movie is that they were terraforming the planet - ie it was uninhabitable. I suppose you could still argue it has a non-breathable atmosphere though, and the storms aren't permanent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Seeing this is a kind of prequel to Alien, I'll add my own take on the footage we've seen so far & what Ridley has said so far. Here goes!

Ridley has stated that the film offers clues/questions to how we originated. There is a scene where Noomi discovers an ancient drawing which I believe is a clue to where the planetoid is, hence the mission to the planetoid.

In the egg chamber, there is clearly a humanoid face. The eggs appear to infect some of the expedition crew to the chamber (one scene shows an egg releasing some kind of spore/phosphurous goo at someones head NOT a facehugger!)

It looks like some kind of supernatural /elemental force follows the expedition crew back to the Prometheus. The infected crew turn on the others. I believe that the android (fasbinder) is also infected,but with wildly differing results.

I think somehow, he becomes the Space jockey. I also think the planetoid itself is/becomes biomechanical, (scenes show Noomi jumping over opening gaps on the surface, which appears 'mechanised')

I think the waterfall scene is actually earth at an early point, not the planetoid. And the humanoid is 'man' at his creation point.

Ridley has hinted that the film offers clues to mankinds origin/end. Somehow the Prometheus expedition is linked to our creation & demise.
    Anyway, theories/schmeoories!:p;)

Interesting. I think FOX will regret giving Paul W Anderson the go ahead to make AVP because I have a strong feeling the two stories will not match (in Anderson's movie Aliens have already visited earth hundreds of years ago and reappear in modern day).
  • Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aliens is actually on E4 at 10pm tonight, not sure if its the special edition though.
    It was definitely an extended version, not sure if that means it's the special edition. Had to watch it even though I've seen it so many times and I have it on DVD :)
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tremse wrote: »
    It was definitely an extended version, not sure if that means it's the special edition. Had to watch it even though I've seen it so many times and I have it on DVD :)

Yeah it was the special edition with the extra 17mins :) - I just couldn't resist watching it again.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    http://youtu.be/mmijV8NtaCU

(Contains Spoilers)
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alien Resurrection is on E4 now, +1 if you missed it. Enjoyable installment, don't really count 3 & 4 as part of the series, 1 & 2 are just too good.

Love Ron Pearlman in this, Earth - I'd rather stay here with the things, man. :D
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching Aliens at a cinema in Edinburgh next week :D:D

Alien was on last month but i missed it :(
  • Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They played the trailer last weekend at my local Cineworld and the usual chatter of the audience stopped, I heard some approving comments afterwards - meanwhile I was thinking ...oh yesssss!!! Can't wait until June :)
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Alien Resurrection is on E4 now, +1 if you missed it. Enjoyable installment, don't really count 3 & 4 as part of the series, 1 & 2 are just too good.

Love Ron Pearlman in this, Earth - I'd rather stay here with the things, man. :D
    I think 1, 2 and 3 are excellent films. It's 4 I don't count as part of the franchise. I can't wait to see Prometheus in June though. :D
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they don't put a kid in a main acting role

"Newt" in Aliens was the only time I could deal with a kid in a sci-fi that wasn't aimed at the kids.

Just My humble opinion.

As a 45 yo I was just a bit too young to see Alien in the cinema when it came out in 79.

However I did read the book and watched it as the 1st VHS video I saw.

I was brought up with this franchise and hope it doesn't disappoint.

Alien was great
    Aliens was great
    Alien3 mheeee
    Alien Ressurection I have learnt to enjoy

AvP and AvP Requiem (should be burnt) and not spoken of again, in this or any thread.
  • Options
    shining666shining666 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person not looking forward to this? Ridley Scott hasn't made a decent movie in quite some time.