Options

Android update buggered up my tablet.

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
Using Asus nexus 7. Got a notification about upgrading yesterday so did.
Now it seems to be running even slower than before ! (And it had already got pretty slow!)
Pages seem to crash on the browser quite a bit (chrome)
And Facebook keeps disappearing while im browsing it! Just randomly goes back to the home screen.
What can I do ?

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try wiping the cache partition

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/337072-guide-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

This doesn't delete any user data just the temporary files.

I also got the 5.0.2 update for my 2012 3G Nexus 7 last night. It went a bit ape initially but seems to have settled down now after a cache wipe and reboot.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with another similar thread, you have to go through a process of elimination:

First thing to try is to power down tablet completely and switch on again.

On affected apps, delete data and cache, an reboot tablet ((you may need to renter passwords etc).

If that doesn't work, try completely un-installing and re-installing affected apps.

If that doesn't work, backup any important data, and reset tablet to factory conditions and reinstall apps - won't affect firmware update but may need to update all apps from playstore.

The majority of issues are normally solved by above,

If the above do not work, then you may have
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    We ended up having to do a factory reset, unfortunately. And I deleted the Yahoo app which was causing some grief!
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    We ended up having to do a factory reset, unfortunately. And I deleted the Yahoo app which was causing some grief!

Is it OK now?
  • Options
    hedsashedhedsashed Posts: 2,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the exact same problem as the OP.

Done a cache clearance with no luck, then went a did a full factory reset and still there's gremlins inside it playing silly buggers :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hedsashed wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem as the OP.

Done a cache clearance with no luck, then went a did a full factory reset and still there's gremlins inside it playing silly buggers :confused:

Oh no :( deleting cache has not worked for me .
    It's so annoying I feel like throwing it at a wall ! :o

it seems to be all apps requiring the internet which is causing problems.
    will a factory reset really solve it ?
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Backup your files & do a full system reset, if you have a custom recovery installed then use that to wipe the data partition as that will clear out all the crud. You can also use Wug's nexus toolkit to flash the stock 5.0.2 system image & then root & install custom recovery if you wish.

It's a bit like windows in that a clean fresh install is always better than installing over the top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I shall try doing a system reset, but the 'gallery' launcher for my photos has disappeared ! :o now I can't back up the files .
  • Options
    hedsashedhedsashed Posts: 2,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that works better for you than it did me, i'll admit to not being an IT genius but things really shouldn't this difficult.

It's simply a tablet that should be a easy to use and get round.

Please let us know how you get on the the factory reset.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    I shall try doing a system reset, but the 'gallery' launcher for my photos has disappeared ! :o now I can't back up the files .

The Gallery app has been retired. Your photos are now under the more sensibly named Photos app.

http://www.androidcentral.com/where-did-gallery-go-after-lollipop-update
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    The Gallery app has been retired. Your photos are now under the more sensibly named Photos app.

http://www.androidcentral.com/where-did-gallery-go-after-lollipop-update

i cant find this said app :confused:>:(
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you want a load of hassle, don't install the android updates.