Options

Spay dog before or after 1st season?

willowwolfwillowwolf Posts: 1,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My vet says to spay before, but I've done a bit of research and don't want bone growth issues from getting it done too early. What do you think? I was thinking of letting her have one season and then getting her spayed, but I am not sure. I want whatever is best for the dog and her health.

Comments

• Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Risk of breast cancer or tumors goes to almost zero if spaying is done prior to first heat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,449
    Forum Member
    Wen were advised to spay befor first season. So we did and ended up with a bitch who has grown massively oversize and has joint problems from this.
  • Options
    tomp94tomp94 Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    I got my dogs done before her first season. When she was 8 months old.
    She's now 25 months old and no problems relating to the surgery
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    unless your dog is a large breed...then the answer would be no otherwise yes I would get her spayed prior to her first season
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine unless there is a medical reason refuses to do a pre first season spay, he likes to see they are mature enough in their bodies before operating. An approach I endorse but obviously just my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Mine unless there is a medical reason refuses to do a pre first season spay, he likes to see they are mature enough in their bodies before operating. An approach I endorse but obviously just my opinion.

Thanks Molliepops. I think this is my thinking too. I would rather be sure that she has matured enough ( if you think about it we wouldn't give a pre-pubescent teen a hysterectomy, so why on earth should we inflict that on our pets?) I understand it's mainly recommended by vets to reduce unwanted litters, but I'm going to keep a very close eye on my dog and will make sure nothing happens while she's in heat. Anyway, thanks everyone for your contributions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsOggy wrote: »
    Wen were advised to spay befor first season. So we did and ended up with a bitch who has grown massively oversize and has joint problems from this.

Mrs Oggy, I'm so sorry about your dog and this is why I want to wait, just to be sure she has developed enough.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my little pooch from Dogs Trust at 9 weeks old and they spay/neuter them all as a matter of course, at 6 months. Earlier than I had previously had any dog done, but still we went along with it and am really glad we did. She never had a season, and at 10 months she seems fine. Am certain she bounced back quicker, post op than my other dogs have done in the past. It's always a tough call, whatever decision you take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They won't tell you this but ... other than in large breed dogs where bone maturation is a legitimate concern, SOME vets won't spay until the first heat because cat and dog girl bits can be hard to visualise until they've been thru a cycle and they don't like the hassle factor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a bit unfair to say hassle, my vet would hate to put any more risks than already exists when he operates, and trying to see immature sex organs is one risk we can easily cure just by waiting until the dog is mature enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work in a clinic. I also did shelter work.It was back in the day when early spaying was being debated. Consequently I worked with and spoke with, a number of vets. Hassle factor (their words) as in whether an extra couple of seconds visualising organs, was a factor for some vets in spaying, especially when it came to shelter dogs. (Which they did for free.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll have to agree to differ on that as I know when Betty was done we had to wait to get her to a certain weight to have her done as it was safer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There can be issues with young animals and anesthesia. Actually, having assisted with surgery, that would be my greater concern if I was weighing options.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting debate, thanks! My dog is a small breed so the anaesthetic concern is there as is the ease of finding immature organs. I think, all things considered, I will still wait until after her first season. Thank you for your input.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    We waited until after our dogs first season too, as having read up about it all and the risks involved, we felt that was the option that was best for her. She is a Golden Retriever so a large breed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck Willowwolf with whatever you do, it's a worry when they depend on us to do the right thing for them and all that conflicting information out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even routine surgery is a risk. It's good that you're weighing and assessing those that could affect your pet. I hope she has an uneventful spay and an easy recovery.