Single and Album after AI

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone know how long they get on their single and album after they win. Is it like X-factor when they have a song ready to be recorded ? Will they try and make the winner family friendly for the AI audience ?

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The single comes out virtually straight away - both finalists perform their version of it in the final.

The album - depends. Some take longer than others. David Cook didn't release his album until November, but he did a lot of writing. Also, I would assume the AI tour makes it hard to get an album out quick.

As for will they try to make them family friendly - well, they'll want them to appeal to the greatest audience possible. The winners single will be virtually guaranteed pop pap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then I hope Adam comes second . He'll get signed but will get to do his own stuff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    Yes, the usual time for the album release is October/November, and they record most of it during the tour and their 50 stops, being flown back and forth during their days off.
    Winning AI means very little sleep sleep for 4 months, at least..
    The runners-up do less promotions, but they still release in autumn and record during the tour.
    I think that the amount of creative freedom depends. David Cook co-wrote most of his songs, but I still think that he was advised to make them as commercial as possible, and the final song selection was determined by the label.
    David Archuleta didn't have much creative freedom from what I understand. I don't think that making a pop record was what he wanted.
    I think that unless he doesn't get signed by Sony, there will be a certain amount of clamp down on his OTTness and creativity. But, if he didn't want it, he wouldn't carry on with OTT performances on AI. He doesn't, he has toned down, which indicates to me that he wants to go as far as possible and win.
    Considering the judges comments, I believe that he is deemed marketable by TPTB, but I have been wondering what they have in store for him. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I don't think he has toned it down too much. I think he should go like Brandon Flowers fom the killers has . Manly but still over the top and a disco trashy eltro sound would be good for Adam
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Chi regarding Adam. He's certainly toned down some of his performances giving an indication that he understands that he needs to show that softer side to widen his fanbase.

I think like with David Cook last year, these guys are at an age where they realise that they've tried to get success their own way and it hasn't really worked out.

They are mature and savvy enough to recognise the implications and limitations winning AI will bring but have reached the stage where they are prepared to make that compromise at the very least in the short-term to reach their goal.

I'm sure once the decision to enter the competition is made, the goal will be to win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I think he's got the talent. I just think he's a more UK and Europe kind of pop star
    Forum Member
    He looks like someone who wants to stay in the competition to me, not someone who wants to flaunt it.
    Electro dance pop is a possibility, but I don't know if this is what the label will go for, and I am convinced that they will decide.
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    I agree with Chi regarding Adam. He's certainly toned down some of his performances giving an indication that he understands that he needs to show that softer side to widen his fanbase.

I think like with David Cook last year, these guys are at an age where they realise that they've tried to get success their own way and it hasn't really worked out.

They are mature and savvy enough to recognise the implications and limitations winning AI will bring but have reached the stage where they are prepared to make that compromise at the very least in the short-term to reach their goal.

I'm sure once the decision to enter the competition is made, the goal will be to win.
    I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think it would be stupid to make him sing the same kind of pop as everyone else. If Lady GAGA gets on AI why can't a winner on the show get to record music like she does which seems to sell
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alastair_r wrote: »
    But I don't think he has toned it down too much. I think he should go like Brandon Flowers fom the killers has . Manly but still over the top and a disco trashy eltro sound would be good for Adam

If you check out the clips on youtube most of the OTT dressing etc has been done as part of theatrical productions ad not as part of his normal gigs ... The Zodiac Show where most of the dressing up and lycra outfits appear, was a theatrical production, not one of Adam's normal singing gigs.

If you look at the Upright Cabaret stuff he's dressed quite conservatively with the addition of the guyliner and the nail varnish.

So I feel that he's thinking that when he's on Idol he's showcasing his voice and himself as a recording artist and not as a theatre performer.

Perhaps the feathers and boas will appear post idol during concerts as part of a show but I don't think he needs to bring them out on Idol where it's more about showcasing what he can do vocally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not disputing that he's talented. I don't know much about his background but I know he's from a performing background. I just think he's presumably tried other means to get really far with his talent and hasn't succeeded as well as he'd like.

I think there is always a debate with a performer who is out of the usual Idol box as to whether or not it would be better if they won.

I don't know the definitive answer but I suspect the contestants will accept that they have better chances of success if they win (not in every case of course).

I think the worst thing for the winner, if it is someone like Adam, is the traditional rubbish that is the winners' single but I reckon if he won, he'd get over it!

Edit: Chi, I'm glad you and I are so agreeable today!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they don't make him too bland. They will have to give him really good songs
    Forum Member
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Chi, I'm glad you and I are so agreeable today!:)
    You have lost me, Jewels :confused:
    As long as they don't make him too bland. They will have to give him really good songs
    I hope as well. I would hate it if he released an album that I don't like.. but as long as he his happy with what is happening to him, it's fine by me.
    I think that he worked very very hard to get the vocal and performing control that he has and he deserves his break. As long as he gets it, I'll be happy..
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the singles are as big a deal on Idol as on The X Factor. But they do still have them and they're released shortly after the win.

Album Releases:
    Ruben - 9th December
    Fantasia - 23rd November
    Carrie - 15th November
    Taylor - 12th December
    Jordin - 20th November
    David - 18th November

This years winners album will either be the 17th or 24th of November or the 1st or 8th of December. I'd go for one of the 2 middle dates. It's generally just over 6 months between winning and releasing which is quite a tight squeeze. Alexandra Burke will probably get 10 months.

There was one occasion with a runner-up (Katherine McPhee) where they didn't get it out in time for Christmas and was out on 30th January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    You have lost me, Jewels :confused:

Sorry - it wasn't a hint about past disagreements. It was just I started my post with "I agree ...(with Chi)" and you then quoted me saying "I agree".

Nothing important!:)
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think it's strange that the winners single for like the past 2 or 3 years hasn't gotten to No.1? Like in X-Factor it's a cert that you'll go to no.1.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Does anyone else think it's strange that the winners single for like the past 2 or 3 years hasn't gotten to No.1? Like in X-Factor it's a cert that you'll go to no.1.

The US singles chart is partly based on radio airplay which explains that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Well, the winner's song is usually rather weak so it doesn't get much radio airplay and doesn't get enough sales/downloads to debut at Number 1. In fact the only winners to reach #1 with the winning song are Kelly Clarkson (1), Fantasia (3), Carrie Underwood (4), and Taylor Hicks (5).

In Season 2 Clay and Ruben both released their single the same week--Clay debuted at #1, Ruben at #2. While Jordin Sparks (6) has had a couple top 10 hits, her initial song only reached #15. David Cook's winning song debuted and peaked at #3 (Archuleta's first song peaked at #2).

Kelly Clarkson's first album wasn't released until April 2003 (but the first series finale was in early September because AI was a summer series for its first run),
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Then I hope Adam comes second . He'll get signed but will get to do his own stuff

:D How many times are you going to post this? We get the message. Not all of us agree with you though.
    But I think he's got the talent. I just think he's a more UK and Europe kind of pop star

I don't dispute that he has the potential to be big in the UK and Europe and beyond but do you think the record company are going to spend as much marketing him across the globe as AI runner-up (or third place or whatever) as they would as AI winner? They've had a few very good winners in the past, a couple of who have eventually had international success and one who has had huge success in America, but this is their first chance to have a winner with genuine Leona-like potential. Do you think they will be in a hurry to blow that? And why shouldn't Adam have all the opportunity without having to toe the line as the good little runner-up?
    I still think it would be stupid to make him sing the same kind of pop as everyone else. If Lady GAGA gets on AI why can't a winner on the show get to record music like she does which seems to sell

But is David's album like Jordin's? Is Carrie's album like Reuben's? Is Taylor's album like Fantasia's?

The winning single will be a one size fits all because they commission it with a few contestants in mind, all of who are likely to be different, but that's the nature of the beast. People know by now what to expect. I really don't care about the first single. Adam could sing The Birdy Song and make it sound like Nights in White Satin or Shaddap Ya Face and make it sound like Stairway to Heaven.
    diamond1 wrote: »
    If you check out the clips on youtube most of the OTT dressing etc has been done as part of theatrical productions ad not as part of his normal gigs ... The Zodiac Show where most of the dressing up and lycra outfits appear, was a theatrical production, not one of Adam's normal singing gigs.

If you look at the Upright Cabaret stuff he's dressed quite conservatively with the addition of the guyliner and the nail varnish.

So I feel that he's thinking that when he's on Idol he's showcasing his voice and himself as a recording artist and not as a theatre performer.

Perhaps the feathers and boas will appear post idol during concerts as part of a show but I don't think he needs to bring them out on Idol where it's more about showcasing what he can do vocally.

I totally agree.

To be honest, it was his UC performances that sealed the deal for me with Adam, after being hugely impressed from his first audition, and not so much the theatrical ones.