How to transfer movies/programmes on to iPad3?

kikifikikifi Posts: 326
Forum Member
Hi,

Just got the iPad3, and would like to put some TV programmes on to it from my laptop, but when I try and drag the files into iTunes it wont let me. Do I need to convert the files? And if so what format? Or is there a simpler way?

Many thanks

Kikifi

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    If you want to play them in the videos App, they need to be m4v.

However you can try 3rd party apps. I recommend 'Player X HD', plays just about anything, plus you can transfer files via WiFi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Another great one is avplayer HD
    Wifi transfer and plays almost any format

A quick vid here showing how easy it is to transfer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jrKjmPo1Dk

Or another one to consider is OplayerHD
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother, iPad4 coming soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Another great one is avplayer HD
    Wifi transfer and plays almost any format

A quick vid here showing how easy it is to transfer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jrKjmPo1Dk

Or another one to consider is OplayerHD

I was gonna suggest 'AV player', but it has disappeared from the AppStore, just like 'VLC player' did years ago
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Don't bother, iPad4 coming soon.

you can take the ipad 3 back to a apple store & they will exchange it for a new ipad 4 if less than 4 weeks old & has no damage
  • kikifikikifi Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    you can take the ipad 3 back to a apple store & they will exchange it for a new ipad 4 if less than 4 weeks old & has no damage

Just spoke to carphone warehouse baout this, and they pratically laughed me off the phone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use Handbrake. Easily the best conversion software. And converts very fast too.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was gonna suggest 'AV player', but it has disappeared from the AppStore, just like 'VLC player' did years ago

Yeah, I don't know what happened to AVPlayerHD :confused:

I always recommend that to people, but it's vanished.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google and co do not like useful software, especially video players and converters because they allow users to use what they have already without buying new stuff.

Openly of course they will not admit that, so they say it is to prevent copyright breaches and illegality. It will be the same here. Mention of some software and your post will be deleted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does Google have to do with anything, and why are you talking about posts being deleted? :confused:

Google has nothing to do with trying to view iTunes unfriendly videos on an iPad, and AFAIK no posts have been deleted (and I don't see why any would be).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Exchange it to a shining new iPad 4.:p
    To transfer the video files from laptop to the tablet, you can install a 3rd party transfer software such as Leawo iTransfer or something like that.:D
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just download CinexplayerHD from the app store well worth the couple of quid it costs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Just download CinexplayerHD from the app store well worth the couple of quid it costs

Thats a nice find and a great replacement for avplayer
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kikifi wrote: »
    Just spoke to carphone warehouse baout this, and they pratically laughed me off the phone

How about calling Apple?
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < no posts have been deleted (and I don't see why any would be). >

You don't huh? Well you see, you can do things that are illegal using some software. In fact the whole of a filesharing site has been blocked by search engines and ISPs. Google make a tablet, and a computer called a chromebook, I think, and run a google app store, from which they make their money - they don't from computer sales. But if people who have a film and books can give them to their friends to view and read on their google gadget, google won't make money. That is not perhaps illegal but some things are and google and the like act against software that can do what they don't want customers to do, pretending that they are doing it for legal reasons.

If you post a message explaining how to do something illegal, it will probably be deleted. DS do not want to go the way of the Pirfate Bay.

I was explain ing why some software vanishes, which people here were asking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google is irrelevant to this thread because it is about the iPad... which is made by Apple.

There is nothing illegal about providing, downloading, using or mentioning software that plays xvid or mkv files.

One particular video playback app (AVPlayer / AVPlayerHD) has vanished from the iTunes (not Google) App Store...

However, if Apple decided that xvid and mkv playback was illegal (which it isn't) or just didn't like the concept of it, it wouldn't have approved AVPlayer / AVPlayerHD in the first place, and would not continue to offer OPlayer / OPlayerHD, CineXPlayer / CineXPlayerHD, AirVideo, AirPlayer, and other video playback apps for download from the iTunes App Store... All of which are apps whose only function is playback of media not supported by iOS, and all of which are apps that Apple happily approved and made available for people to download.

As for posts being deleted... DS would not delete posts about playback software (not illegal) or conversion software (not illegal). There are regular threads at DS about playback of videos and conversion of videos. Hell, there are even regular threads about RIPPING of CDs and DVDs... They carry on quite happily, with links to software, without being deleted.

What DS would take issue with (and has in the past) would be posts with links and instructions on how to carry out copyright infringement, e.g. links to torrent or nzb sites.