BT Fibre optic BB

crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone here got this? Had a call from BT tonight saying they'll put us on it for just £1 more a month and it'll be much faster. Think he said 10X or more. We often suffer from "contention" now in the evening ie lots of people online in our area so we get slower speeds. down from 6 meg daytime to 1 meg evenings. Wondering if I've done right though as I hate change for anything. ;) Will he get us online for all our computers whilst he's here as I don't understand anything tecnical whatsoever? :confused: We have one PC with wired BB, to the hub, and then a desktop and two laptops all connected wirelessly.

Think he said there's one charge of £6.95 for the new Hub.

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its brilliant. There are already loads of threads here about infinity.

I went from 5.5mb (8mb max) to 36mb on infinity, but now on infinity 2, i'm getting 76 down.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its brilliant. There are already loads of threads here about infinity.

I went from 5.5mb (8mb max) to 36mb on infinity, but now on infinity 2, i'm getting 76 down.

Oh thanks, didn't realise it was called Infinity as he never used that word, just kept saying Fibre-optic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wife watches live Filipino TV via the Net, on our telly, with a cable in to the BT hub but some evenings it won't work, keeps buffering due to the slow Net speed. The BT guy said she'll have no problems once we're on Fibre-optic though.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wife watches live Filipino TV via the Net, on our telly, with a cable in to the BT hub but some evenings it won't work, keeps buffering due to the slow Net speed. The BT guy said she'll have no problems once we're on Fibre-optic though.

maybe, if she is watching it on some dodgy site then the problem is likely to be at the server end.

What speed are you currently getting ?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    maybe, if she is watching it on some dodgy site then the problem is likely to be at the server end.

That's truer than many people realise, even worse for many foreigh servers.

Speeds from sites outside the UK drop off even more rapidly on Infinity than on ADSL (because they start off so high). From the Far East (if that's where the Filipino channel is served from) they'd be lucky to get even 2 or 3 megabytes of bandwidth and even that would be variable, even if the site itself is fast enough (and it's probably even slower). If that's where it is, Infinity is unlikely to give any improvement at all over ADSL.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone here got this? Had a call from BT tonight saying they'll put us on it for just £1 more a month and it'll be much faster. Think he said 10X or more. We often suffer from "contention" now in the evening ie lots of people online in our area so we get slower speeds. down from 6 meg daytime to 1 meg evenings. Wondering if I've done right though as I hate change for anything. ;) Will he get us online for all our computers whilst he's here as I don't understand anything tecnical whatsoever? :confused: We have one PC with wired BB, to the hub, and then a desktop and two laptops all connected wirelessly.

Think he said there's one charge of £6.95 for the new Hub.

That phone call sounds strange, did he say he was from BT?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    That phone call sounds strange, did he say he was from BT?

Yes...
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this talk of how fast Infinity is, I'm beginning to wonder if I should go back to BT or not. o2 seems to be very slow with getting a fibre connection for its customers. Hmm... I dunno.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

About 6meg all day but only 1-2 meg fom 7pm to midnight with what they say is contention.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 6meg all day but only 1-2 meg fom 7pm to midnight with what they say is contention.

Thats BT for you. Get on to a good network like Sky and you wont have evening slowdown. You just have to make sure the product is Sky Unlimited. Sky also do a fibre product which while it is a slower headline product than BT (sure to change asap) it works fast all day and night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    Thats BT for you. Get on to a good network like Sky and you wont have evening slowdown. You just have to make sure the product is Sky Unlimited. Sky also do a fibre product which while it is a slower headline product than BT (sure to change asap) it works fast all day and night.

I've never had slowdown in the evening on BT's 21CN ADSL2 network (which is the same network Infinity connects into at the exchange). I had 19Mbit, and that's the speed I got at all times.

Now I'm on Infinity I get 76Mbit all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I've never had slowdown in the evening on BT's 21CN ADSL2 network (which is the same network Infinity connects into at the exchange). I had 19Mbit, and that's the speed I got at all times.

Now I'm on Infinity I get 76Mbit all the time.

Ah, but do you download anything heavy at peak times? Anyone just surfing websites on their old ADSL connection would have had maximum speed all the way through peak time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes...

Fair enough, I just thought it was a bit strange not mentioning Infinity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulker wrote: »

Well even though we'll still be with BT it'll be much faster with Fibre-optic surely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's all on my online My BT page now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He honestly never did, just FO all the time.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been 98%/99% happy with BT Infinity in the 14 months I have had the service.
    I get a steady just over 36mb download. I have seen my download speed drop to 29mb once in a while in the evening but that dont happen to offen.
    I dont get disconected very offen just once in a while and its usally only for a min or two like what happen to me a few hours ago.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No she doesn't watch it on any such sites. She pays for a TFC box (The Filipino Channel )and their service but she plugs it in to the BT Hub and chooses what to watch on an on-screen menu on the TV, from the box. She has a set-top box and pays £19.99 a month. They have live shows, news, dramas etc and ones shown in Philippines previous days too. So she's not actually watching from a website. Am I explaining it a bit clearer now? So if th Net's slow she gets it constantly buffering. TFC say it needs at least 1.5 mg and we drop to just 1 meg some evenings.
  • PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my BT Infinity. I've had great service from BT and no disconnects since I joined in February. Recently they upgraded the speeds too so I now get 74Mbps download and 16Mbps upload.

Can't find a fault and I would highly recommend the service. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilT1808 wrote: »
    I love my BT Infinity. I've had great service from BT and no disconnects since I joined in February. Recently they upgraded the speeds too so I now get 74Mbps download and 16Mbps upload.

Can't find a fault and I would highly recommend the service. :D

I bet torrent speeds are insane! Unless you don't use torrents that is.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I bet torrent speeds are insane! Unless you don't use torrents that is.
    Torrents are throttled at most times of the day with BT!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Ah, but do you download anything heavy at peak times? Anyone just surfing websites on their old ADSL connection would have had maximum speed all the way through peak time.

I download entire games on steam at full time, stream youtube/iplayer, and download usenet at peak times.

So yes i do, never had any throttling problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He honestly never did, just FO all the time.

Strange.

There was a couple of BT open reach vans up by the cabinet as I go to work, they was putting some yellow tubing under the ground. According to the engineer it was for the fibre to go down, so it looks like Bt is starting to do something here. there is a bridge there and all pipes and cables go along the side of the bridge on a platform type of thing, gas, water, electric, phone, it is scary really so many cables and pipes close to each other.

i still can't see it happening until another 12 months, even if they say we will have it in June., putting tubing down means nothing.

Lad at work was pretty interested as he is waiting for Fibre since he can only get 2 megabits if he is lucky and he said with a family of teenagers that is not fast enough.

no doubt some people will find the extra speed useful if they want to pay for it.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    Torrents are throttled at most times of the day with BT!

Be that as it may, Usenet isn't. I downloaded a DVD from it at 69.7Mbps the other evening! Was irritated that it wouldn't quite hit 70Mbps. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Be that as it may, Usenet isn't. I downloaded a DVD from it at 69.7Mbps the other evening! Was irritated that it wouldn't quite hit 70Mbps. :D

That must have only took about 9 minutes according to Google's calculations. This is for a single layer DVD.