Options

Can anyone tell me why the programme isn't working for me this year?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    They've got more attractive as well over the series, that might have something to do with it, attractive people don't have to develop personalities.

You just might have a point d&g.

Maybe there is an agency out there in tv land, a "Contestants R us" that supplied this bunch.
  • Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    They've got more attractive as well over the series, that might have something to do with it, attractive people don't have to develop personalities.

This lot aren't - as least not the ones that survived long.
  • Options
    carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they have not done that - indeed most people seem to think they have too few TV characters to get a good laugh or dramatic story out of them.

What they have done is possibly mirror a problem with the British economy. They don't have the corporate high flyers this series or the bankers or the lawyers or the great presenters or sales people or the Private Walker types or the people with economics or business degrees. What they do have is competent people who have set up shops or small businesses - or could set up one doing what they now do for someone else. They are competent - but hit neither extreme of ability found in past years.There's no Helen or Kate or Liz or Ruth or Debra and no Syed, Tre, Stuart, Alexa or Paul or Edna . Even last series Susan came with a far more interesting back story, Jim was boardroom gold. Melody was a mystery. This mirrors reality where the most able candidates just don't set up their own businesses and the joke candidates can't be expected to produce anything at the end.

Ironically, the only past winner who I can see offering a successful winning plan would be Michelle - who had set up her own company before doing the Apprentice and actually runs the type of groupon like site which the apprentices had trouble finding offers for last week.

thenetworkbabe - consistently hitting the nail on the head since the days when Big Brother was worth watching and the BB forum was busy.
  • Options
    don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    penelopesimpson asked:

Can anyone tell me why the programme isn't working for me this year?

Perhaps you could tell us which programmes you actually like as you seem to spend a lot of time denigrating The Voice and now it seems you have problems with The Apprentice? Maybe you should give up on TV and try some other form of entertainment. On the other hand maybe you find moaning entertaining? ;)
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I agree with don roberto. In my honest opinion, although not many will agree, this has been one of the best series alongside the likes of Series 3. IMO, this year beats last year any day. Lat year certainly wasn't the best.
  • Options
    hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Also,I think a celebrity version would be UNBEARABLE! Celebrties are obnoxious, or the majority are at least.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps you could tell us which programmes you actually like as you seem to spend a lot of time denigrating The Voice and now it seems you have problems with The Apprentice? Maybe you should give up on TV and try some other form of entertainment. On the other hand maybe you find moaning entertaining? ;)

You may not know it but Digitalspy is a forum for critiquing. I adore many programmes and give my views accordingly - but perhaps they are not programmes you watch. Thank you for your interest.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I completely lost interest in The Apprentice this series and for the last couple of weeks have been watching Lewis instead.

The contestants just aren't interesting enough, there doesn't seem to be much tension between them and, to be honest, I think the format has just become boring.

They have decided to discontinue the Irish version of The Apprentice and I really think they should do the same with the UK version. It's had its day and is looking very tired.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I more or less agree with your rationale - however I would argue that anyone who believes The Apprentice is ultimately a serious business programme is as deluded as those who complain about the likes of Ann Widdecombe and John Sargeant surviving in Strictly Come Dancing because it's ultimately a serious dance competition. If either of these things were true, the former would be relegated to the depths of BBC 2 and the latter would drop the "Strictly" from its name.

The Apprentice is primarily a light entertainment programme. If the production company lose sight of that again, with dull and repetitive tasks and casting a collection of terminally boring individuals (and a virtual android like Tom) the show will eventually die on it's ar*e.

:D
    The Apprentice is usually must-see TV for me every year but this year has been the worst. It's all gone flat IMO & maybe the format needs changing.

But please, no Celeb Apprentice!!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have decided to discontinue the Irish version of The Apprentice and I really think they should do the same with the UK version. It's had its day and is looking very tired.

They made the same format change (Dragon's Den style) to the Irish version last year and it had much the same effect. Sad to see that one go mind, even with the entrepreneurs rather than salesmen it still made better telly. I think because Bill Cullen is a bit scary

The problem for me with this year is I need a hero and a villian to root for and against, this year I couldn't care either way. I am still looking forward to is Claude demolishing the lot of them.

Maybe if Claude took over from Lord Alan I'd watch again next year but unless they do something that radical they might as well can it for me.
  • Options
    don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by penelopesimpson

You may not know it but Digitalspy is a forum for critiquing. I adore many programmes and give my views accordingly - but perhaps they are not programmes you watch. Thank you for your interest.

Well I never knew that because, after reading so many of your negative posts I had rather concluded it was a forum for whingers! I can't wait to read a post about one of the TV programmes you adore. Go on, make my day!;)