Options

I Claudius

ocoxocox Posts: 2,606
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am currently watching I Claudius on UKTV History. This is the first time that I have seen this, missed it first time round (got married in 76 so was a bit pre-occupied). Must admit I am really enjoying it. Some great acting (& some not so great) especially by Brian Blessed, he is THE MAN.

Oh & by the way “GORDANS ALIVE”.

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocox wrote: »
    Oh & by the way “GORDANS ALIVE”.

[pedant]"Gordon’s alive".[/pedant]
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [pedant too] I, Clavdivs [/pedant too]!

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to dvdr it when it was on bbc4 a while back. Damn DVD is still too expensive. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I can elbow my way through the pedants :D I'll add my praise to I, Claudius.
    I saw it the first time round as well.
    Brilliant.
    I've been a fan of Derek Jacobi ever since.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/I/htmlI/iclaudius/iclaudius.htm
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it the first time, and have loved Sir Derek ever since too.

Such a fabulous cast. Sian Phillips, George Baker, Ian Ogilvy, Patrick Stewart with hair, Chris Biggins, John Hurt etc etc.

Yes Brian does OVERACT, but I couldn't imagine anyone else playing it though.

A masterpiece.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Hern wrote: »
    Managed to dvdr it when it was on bbc4 a while back. Damn DVD is still too expensive. :(

Depends where you shop. I got my DVD set for 20 pounds in WHSMITH.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends where you shop. I got my DVD set for 20 pounds in WHSMITH.

Canny price that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hern wrote: »

£17.99 on DVD.co.uk
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it on DVD recently for the first time since it was first broadcast... I was struck by
    1) how cheap it looked - borderline soap-opera levels of production values, and
    2) how nasty it was - lots of scenes had me going "ooh, that must hurt..."

Absolutely brilliant though - a great story, well told and brilliantly acted. Somebody please remind me why we can't do this anymore...?
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it on DVD recently for the first time since it was first broadcast... I was struck by
    1) how cheap it looked - borderline soap-opera levels of production values, and
    2) how nasty it was - lots of scenes had me going "ooh, that must hurt..."

Absolutely brilliant though - a great story, well told and brilliantly acted. Somebody please remind me why we can't do this anymore...?

All studio based TV looked like that in those days, it does not mean it was cheaply made. There was no "filmic" process to ruin things either back then. I prefer the "as recorded" video look as it is TV's native format and looks closest to real life when seen on TV. Film is intended for projection on a large scale.

I Claudius is superb TV. It was the blockbuster TV series of that year, highly exceptional quality even for those times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Claudius and have been watching it for decades:eek: since it was first broadcast. It has worn as well as I have and worth many a repeat viewing.:D
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love I Claudius, it's genius. It was repeated last year sometime, which was the first time I'd watched it as an adult, and I loved it. I had seen some of it as a child though - I have never forgotten seeing the bit with Caligula and his sister. I don't know what my mother was thinking of, letting me watch it, because I can't have been older than seven or so, but I remember finding the baby-eating bit fascinating.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Claudius is one of the greatest dramas in tv history. Its compelling stuff. Derek Jacobi and John Hurt are especially well worth watching-there is an accompanying documentary on the DVD set where it says that the whole crew burst into applause after a scene John Hurt did in one take as the mad Caligula. Also-Brian Blessed keeping his eyes open and motionless for ........well longer than most I would guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved I Clavdivs :D Watched it in the 70s. How far in to the series are we on UKTV History?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a rumour a few years back that Brian Blessed nearly took over Dr Who from Tom Baker......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

K

What about I Clavdiv's (the greengrocer's version)? :D
  • Options
    HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the theme tune too. :D
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love I Claudius ... I wasn't born when it was first shown, but bought the DVDs last year and was struck by it. Great acting, and a brilliant adaption of two very good novels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocox wrote: »
    £17.99 on DVD.co.uk

Thanks for that, will order tonight.:)
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    On again huh?

Any excuse to put Christopher Biggins on our screens. :mad:
  • Options
    clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    I remember watching it back in the 1970's and I too have been a great fan of Derek Jacobi ever since. "I Claudius" was the subject of the series Drama Connections. Brian Blessed said he found it difficult to know how to play Augustus - until he thought of the Mafia. Derek Jacobi said that the director was getting annoyed with him and John Hurt because they were laughing so much in the scene where Caligula had had Claudius thrown into the river. If you look at Jacobi's eyes you can see he is trying not to laugh.

When you watch it, you realise that it is completely studio based with no intrusive background music. Although the ageing make-up has improved a lot, the drama relied on a good script and brilliant acting. It is still as good today as it was 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tizzy wrote: »
    Loved I Clavdivs :D Watched it in the 70s. How far in to the series are we on UKTV History?

The next episode is number 5.
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

K

[PAEDAGOGUS III] I CLAVDIVS [/PAEDAGOGUS III]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant drama based on two brilliant novels. I particularly enjoyed the episodes dealing with the downfall of Sejanus (in the television version that is, there are just too many good parts to choose from in the novels).
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭