Is Five & Friends still happening?

Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Evening all! :D

I recall that Five were intending to launch Five & Friends (or whatever title they decide on) presumably as some sort of competition for the BBC "The One Show".

Seems to have all gone quiet though, so I wonder if they are having second thoughts, or are having trouble getting suitable presenters. Weren't they trying to persuade Natasha Kaplinsky to present it?

And would they really be able to make any inroads into the audience watching The One Show, if that is who they were aiming it against?

Comments

• DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Maybe will launch november time
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    If it's happening it probably won't be until Q4 at the earliest, maybe Q1 2010 now.

The Wright Stuff is returning in a few weeks with Matthew still hosting so that likely rules him out if he's sticking with the show for another year.

I should point out there's been no official word that I've seen since the news broke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I heard a rumour on another forum (which I can remember...sorry) that instead of the Kaplunskksksky they were lining up Isla Traquair instead.

Would be a great alternative to The Chiles Show.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natasha Kaplinsky agreed to half her pay in order for her just to do the 5pm news, so she wont be hosting it.
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

To be honest I'm not sure how Five could make their show that much different from TOS. Other than it might be running for an hour. Five will always be considered a bit of a minority station by some.

Isla could be a good choice for the female presenter though, she's lovely. Would be interesting to see who people prefer between the two - Isla or Christine.

Viewing figures would tend towards the BBC I would think.

Would depend on the variety & depth of the stories (if F&F comes to pass) & as I say, I cannot see how much different they could be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still happening, there was something in The Guardian about it a few weeks ago. Matthew Wright and Kaplinsky are not involved with it anymore though. The latest names attached to it are Ian Wright and Melinda Messenger :eek:
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still happening, there was something in The Guardian about it a few weeks ago. Matthew Wright and Kaplinsky are not involved with it anymore though. The latest names attached to it are Ian Wright and Melinda Messenger :eek:

Unless Ian Wright quits his radio show on Talksport which finishes at 7pm weekdays, I can't see that one happening either.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    :eek: In this instance, The Guardian is reporting something you'd expect to read in The Sun or Daily Star - red top rumours, which prove to be not true. Thought the Guardian didn't do showbiz gossip anyway, it's supposed to be a "broadsheet" paper.
    Forum Member
    I personally think that this could work really well for Five. With the right presenters, good mix of items and a good set I think it would get some respectable ratings for Five.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found the article I mentioned earlier in the thread...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2009/jul/21/richard-woolfe-five-fox-and-friends-monkey

It's also worth noting Big Breakfast replacement RI:SE was also based on 'Fox & Friends'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well whoever is doing the Five & Friends gig, it won't be Isla, as just read she will leave Five in the autumn.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamies90 wrote: »
    I personally think that this could work really well for Five. With the right presenters, good mix of items and a good set I think it would get some respectable ratings for Five.

Just sounds like more mind-numbing gunk to clog up the schedules.

Last time Ian Wright's shouting demeanour (that's how it seemed to me. Always looked like he should calm down a bit) and Melinda's teeth and fake breasts clogged up the schedules it felt like they'd never go away. I hope they don't return.
    Forum Member
    Maybe Jenni Falconer would be perfect for it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL! Maybe - could The Falcon clip Ian Wright Wright Wright's wings??
    Forum Member
    That would make captivating viewing!
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Emma Crosby should quit GMTV to host Five & Friends (since I'll never watch it) and then that'll pave the way for Fiona Phillips to return - yay! :)
    Forum Member
    Couldn't think of anyone worse than the Falcon!! Those shoulders distract me!

I think Melinda would do well - but seing as that Guardian article suggests a pretty large casting list it could be anyone that ends up hosting it!
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Ian Wright, Melinda Messenger and now Kate Walsh from the Apprentice. :eek:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2578749/Sir-Alans-runner-up-Kate-Walsh-gets-new-show.html
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I think Emma Crosby should quit GMTV to host Five & Friends (since I'll never watch it) and then that'll pave the way for Fiona Phillips to return - yay! :)

Never! The Queef will never take the Crosby's place! Never!
    Forum Member
    Ian Wright, Melinda Messenger and now Kate Walsh from the Apprentice. :eek:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2578749/Sir-Alans-runner-up-Kate-Walsh-gets-new-show.html

ok, i like kate but purrrleasse
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er.... have they not got the wrong Wright? What happened to Matthew as host?

There are tons of excellent presenters up and down the satellite channels, why not take a risk and put in fresh talent.
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Ian Wright?!?! Guess I won't be watching this then
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    flutegirl wrote: »
    Er.... have they not got the wrong Wright? What happened to Matthew as host?
    Probably. As already mentioned, Ian can't do it becasue of his radio show.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a demand for a non-soap/non-news lightweight tat at 7pm show, as the BBC have showed.

But they have a certain demographic (the pebble mill demo) while I think there is an opportunity for a younger audience.

A sort of 7pm "Big Breakfast" show, whether they are going to do it that way remains to be seen.