BBC HD Sound drop out

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Only went in the post last night BUT as of all day to day no problems at all with the digital sound on any of the HD channels. Incidentally even ITV HD now has some sort of digital sound according to my AV receiver.

Can't have been my letter already - just a happy co-incidence.

Interesting, I shall carry out some checks.
    Buy the way are you still connected via HDMI?
  • brightonjohnbrightonjohn Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    techifan wrote: »
    Interesting, I shall carry out some checks.
    Buy the way are you still connected via HDMI?

No - I am using the optical connection - just waiting for the AV receiver to go through all of its switching when I wanted to hop between radio, CD and TV was a bit of a pain. Might go back to it some time though.
    Forum Member
    Having said that things were better yesterday ITV HD and some of the others BUT NOT MtvHD or BBC HD seem to be having a whole pile of problems this morning. Is it the weather?
    Forum Member
    Now testing through HDMI - The earlier problems today with HD channels had been resolved it seems and were all wroking fine through the optical connection.
    They all seem to be working equally well through HDMI and AV REC is happily indicating when I have a 2.0 and 5.1 source material.

Happy bunny for the moment.:D
    Forum Member
    Now testing through HDMI - The earlier problems today with HD channels had been resolved it seems and were all wroking fine through the optical connection.
    They all seem to be working equally well through HDMI and AV REC is happily indicating when I have a 2.0 and 5.1 source material.

Unfortunately still have problems.
    Just been viewing MTV HD/BBC HD Preview (12.10) and it is still happening. :(
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately still have problems.
    Just been viewing MTV HD/BBC HD Preview (12.10) and it is still happening. :(

What's your location Techifan? Maybe this is a local/regional issue.
    Forum Member

Hi Brightonjohn.
    My location is Coventry.
    Just switched to BBC HD for the match and I still get very brief breaks in audio.
    The thing is that they are very short breaks less than a second and sometimes not very noticeable but the give away is that the display on my amp blinks and flashes up with the audio format. (DD 2.0 or DD 3/2.1)
    Pleased that you appear to be sorted.
    Forum Member

Brightonjohn could you please do me a favour. Could you go to settings, Technical Stuff and on page 2 give me your SNR and AGC readings and on page 3 your Return Power reading. Just trying to figure out if levels play a part in this issue.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had digital TV from before day one on DTT, Sky, Telewest/VIRGIN & Freesat and have found that sound and vision can be different or out of sink, and have found that if you switch channels or power off and it fixes it self most times.

I have found that weather can make a sound and vision break apart at times and also that if work on cable down the street can make it happen too.

As it's down to so many items on our end and there ends too, there may be always a time when sound is out of sink with the vision.

Or may be we should have better signal put to our TV's & boxes so that if there is a some drop in signal it does not matter to the chips and software on our end.???
    Forum Member
    Brightonjohn could you please do me a favour. Could you go to settings, Technical Stuff and on page 2 give me your SNR and AGC readings and on page 3 your Return Power reading. Just trying to figure out if levels play a part in this issue.

SNR = 33.0dB
    AGC = 34
    Return Power = 50dBmv

Sorry I wasn't on line earlier for you.
    Forum Member
    SNR = 33.0dB
    AGC = 34
    Return Power = 50dBmv

Sorry I wasn't on line earlier for you.

Thanks for that.
    Update on my situation.
    I find that the problem appears to get worse the longer the Box is on.
    After several days the sound drop outs occur every couple of minutes but if you switch the box off (reset) the drop outs only occur about once every hour or so. This I can live with but as I say it then get progressively worse the longer you leave the box switched on. Strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member

I'm in Hove but had this problem for ages. Its still there on HD channels - a momentary sound drop out every 20 mins or so. Notice it more on the football as there is a constant drone from the vevuzelas!

I connect to my AV amp via HDMI. Not tried via optical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I actually found that the Samsung box works in reverse to the SA box in this respect (weird). If you choose the HDMI option you only get linear sound through the amp, if you choose HDMI overide, the HDMI outputs DD sound even though it shouldn't. Could this be a manufacturing defect or a programming fault, I wonder?

I noticed that - thought it was just me!
    Forum Member
    blenky wrote: »
    I'm in Hove but had this problem for ages. Its still there on HD channels - a momentary sound drop out every 20 mins or so. Notice it more on the football as there is a constant drone from the vevuzelas!

I connect to my AV amp via HDMI. Not tried via optical.

Hi,
    FYI, This problem is also being discussed in this thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media/1259219-samsung-v-dd-sound-glitch.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I've got low sound on BBC HD after retuning to get HD bbc1. Ok on ther channels. Now announcer is loud and program quite!
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the sounds is just too low on the BBC HD channel completely. Its fine on ITV1 HD but this channel I have to turn the sound up about 5 positions more than on normal channel. The box volume is on full and we turn up through our tv only. Have a v+ box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    For me the sounds is just too low on the BBC HD channel completely. Its fine on ITV1 HD but this channel I have to turn the sound up about 5 positions more than on normal channel. The box volume is on full and we turn up through our tv only. Have a v+ box.

This is an old problem and there's little that can be done other than turn up the volume. BBC HD brodcasts a DD signal, making 5.1 surround possible, which is at a lower volume than ITV HD which broadcasts a standard PCM signal with no surround but is the same level as other channels.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is an old problem and there's little that can be done other than turn up the volume. BBC HD brodcasts a DD signal, making 5.1 surround possible, which is at a lower volume than ITV HD which broadcasts a standard PCM signal with no surround but is the same level as other channels.

i don't know how Virgin get their ITV1 HD signals, but on Sky there are four regions. Granada and Central broadcast in PCM and London, Meridian in DD.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me. I wondered why it wasnt quieter on all hd channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    i don't know how Virgin get their ITV1 HD signals, but on Sky there are four regions. Granada and Central broadcast in PCM and London, Meridian in DD.
    On Virgin, at least in the Soth East, the ITV1 signal is London but the sound is PCM with no option to choose. On Satellite FTA (which we also have) you can actually switch between PCM or DD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Just been reading thread. Has this issue been solved yet. Have Samsung V+ Box. Using HDMI to a yamaha YSP-600.

Watching channel 5hd tonight and its quite bad. Have also noticed it on other hd channels.