Adults learning to drive

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How old where you when you learned to drive?

Can you drive now?

I'm 35 and my life is being turned upside down, inside out, so pretty much everything is a fresh start. I'd like to learn, but I must admit, being a learner at this age, I wonder if I'd ever be confident enough to drive on motorways, or does every driver have that issue at first?

Comments

• scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to be a saying years ago that you need 1 lesson for every year of your age, don't know if that still applies, if it does you'd need 35/36.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be fine. Go for it. I was 27 when I first embarked on the driving gig, you can pick it up at any time. It's a skill and if you've got the confidence, if you learn your manoeuvres and to observe traffic correctly you're fit to drive. :)
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 17/18 when I learnt to drive.

But you should go for it! Why not?

My one tip? Just remember, you're learning to pass a test. After that, THEN you start learning to drive :)
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River 07 wrote: »

Can you drive now?

I'm 35 and my life is being turned upside down, inside out, so pretty much everything is a fresh start. I'd like to learn, but I must admit, being a learner at this age, I wonder if I'd ever be confident enough to drive on motorways, or does every driver have that issue at first?

Not every driver has that. Only the sensible ones.

But most of the young bits of kids who think they're Sebastien Vettel the minute they pass their test will soon realise the error of their ways. Hopefully before they do themselves or anyone else any real damage.

Give it a go. While it is true that there certainly are folk who will never pass their test and never should, there are loads of people who earn to drive when their teenage years are far behind them.

I was 22 when I learnt to drive. The way I saw it was that there was no point in taking lessons before I could afford a car to drive. As for your other question - yep, I can still drive now. I can't think why anyone who'd ever learnt to drive would not still be able to drive, unless they'd been banned, I suppose
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should do away with the driving test.

In this time when educational qualifications are based less on a final exam and more on coursework and continuous assessment why can't they apply that to driving?

Your instructor knows how you are doing and after x amount of lessons will be in a position to pass you as competent at the sets of manoeuvres etc. needed to pass. That would avoid the stress of an all-or-nothing exam from someone you've never met before who will make you feel nervous and more likely to make mistakes.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I was 38, I had to learn as there was no other way of getting to work

Four lessons with an instructor and driving to and from work with my hubby next to me

took me six weeks from start to finish, passed first time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can you drive now?

I passed when I was 18, I can still drive, but as I have been without a car for a couple of years recently, I will be taking 'refresher' lessons when I get my next car. I'm in my mid 20s.

I was, and still am nervous of motorways, I think that will go away with practise and confidence. I know one of my friends parents drove on a motorway for the second time over 20 years after passing their test as he avoided them.

You will do fine, it night take longer than it would have at a younger age, but it will be worth it.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister's in her early 50s and is presently taking driving lessons.
  • Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Treble wrote: »
    I passed when I was 18, I can still drive, but as I have been without a car for a couple of years recently, I will be taking 'refresher' lessons when I get my next car. I'm in my mid 20s.

I was, and still am nervous of motorways, I think that will go away with practise and confidence. I know one of my friends parents drove on a motorway for the second time over 20 years after passing their test as he avoided them.

You will do fine, it night take longer than it would have at a younger age, but it will be worth it.

I was mildly nervous of motorways... until I got on one and realised they are the easiest roads to drive on. Now I go mildly out of my way to get on one for the ease of the drive :D
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learned when I was twenty six.

My grandmother learned when she was in her fifties.

Go for it, and don't worry too much.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the encouragement.

I can actually drive. I am used to driving on my own drive which is pretty long, and various places I've worked, driving in the yards.
    I can 'off-road' too, but I know that's all very different to actually driving on a road, especially putting others in danger.

It will be a wee while, but I think I will go for it in a month or two when I get settled. :)
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    17, passed at 18.

Stever7 wrote: »
    I was 17/18 when I learnt to drive.

But you should go for it! Why not?

My one tip? Just remember, you're learning to pass a test. After that, THEN you start learning to drive :)

Spot on.

I feel sorry for adults who go on an a quick intensive course, pass their test because their job demands it and immedietly have to drive hundreds of miles per day/week before learning the roads. Milage is always good behind the wheel but the stress involved diving in at the deep end must kill the enjoyment of driving.
  • N3dSt4rkN3dSt4rk Posts: 132
    Forum Member

Can you drive now?

I am 45 and I have no licence. I want one. However lessons are expensive (20 quid). Most kids nowadays are given lessons as a present from their parents or in USA it is part of your curriculum. Unfortunately I am not American and my parents sucked :). About 3 years ago I had took 16 lessons, drove on motorways and loved. I was ready to take my test. However other financial obligations got in the way.

Once you get used to gear changing and coming to a stop on a hill you are sorted.
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 and got my license at 16. If you don't drive around here you'd never get anywhere unless you have nice friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N3dSt4rk wrote: »
    I am 45 and I have no licence. I want one. However lessons are expensive (20 quid). Most kids nowadays are given lessons as a present from their parents or in USA it is part of your curriculum. Unfortunately I am not American and my parents sucked :). About 3 years ago I had took 16 lessons, drove on motorways and loved. I was ready to take my test. However other financial obligations got in the way.

Once you get used to gear changing and coming to a stop on a hill you are sorted.

Are you in the U.K?
    I didn't think you were allowed on the motorway without a full licence. :)
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww I think it's great that you're learning how to drive! Age doesn't make much of a difference at all. It's not difficult to learn, it's one of those things that you need to practice at it.
    I was 16 when I started learning and 17 when I got my licence.

If you were 98 and now learning how to drive I'd be like, chillax grandma and go drink some tea.

However, you're not - so it's perfectly fine! :p
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was 23. Took a few years to get to a decent standard but i'm an alright driver now. Motorways are a gift, you don't have to do anything except go straight! Go for it, I found getting my license was a massive boost to my self confidence.
  • N3dSt4rkN3dSt4rk Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Are you in the U.K?
    I didn't think you were allowed on the motorway without a full licence. :)

Very true. It was an A Road but seemed like a motorway to me :D
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Is a 17/18 year old not an adult then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N3dSt4rk wrote: »
    Very true. It was an A Road but seemed like a motorway to me :D

Lol... I know what you mean.

:D
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was 18/19 when i learned to drive. Must admit i wouldnt want to learn to drive now, its a lot of hassle and very expensive (esp the insurance when you get your first car) compared with my era.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 17 when I passed, everyone did in my neck of the woods as there was no public transport to speak of really so we didn't have much choice.

There was a largecar park put aside at my school for 6th formers only and it was always full.

My OH on the other hand lived in Newcastle growing up and didn't know a single person who had bothered to take their test at his school or in later years quite a few at his work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stever7 wrote: »
    I was mildly nervous of motorways... until I got on one and realised they are the easiest roads to drive on. Now I go mildly out of my way to get on one for the ease of the drive :D

I'm nervous of the thought of going onto one and getting back off one. Worried that I might make somesort of error. I do think once on it would be easy though.

Must say, I've never driven on one myself. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I think they should do away with the driving test.

In this time when educational qualifications are based less on a final exam and more on coursework and continuous assessment why can't they apply that to driving?

Your instructor knows how you are doing and after x amount of lessons will be in a position to pass you as competent at the sets of manoeuvres etc. needed to pass. That would avoid the stress of an all-or-nothing exam from someone you've never met before who will make you feel nervous and more likely to make mistakes.

I completely agree with you. I've failed 4 times but on thr practice lesson before the test, I've driven like I was born with a steering wheel in my hand and made no mistakes. Come the test and I fall apart due to nerves. I think the theory and hazard perception should stay.

OP, I was 33 when I properly learned.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a bit of a negative post, but is my opinion;

My parents bought me driving lessons for my 17th birthday but the instructor was a complete cock, (not just my opinion, a family friend had booked lessons with the same guy and eventually refused to get in the car with him)

I was never really into cars and the whole driving thing, and it knocked my confidence a bit, but at 19 I gave it another go and the instructor was great. Still took me three attempts to pass.

As things go, I ended up in a job where I did lots of miles, but I have always hated driving, with my current job I just drive to the railway station and sit on a train for most of the trip.

I haven't owned a car for 15 years, they have all been provided by my employer, if the bus links were a bit better I wouldn't drive at all.

Then I could have a couple of tinnies on the train back from work:p

But OP, don't let me put you off, give it a go. You may take to it like a duck to water, and be zooming about all over the place, wondering why you didn't learn years ago.

Good luck.:)