Options

If you have a problem with gay marriage – you’re an IDIOT

Comments

• Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a religious person? Why does that give you any more validity than someone quoting Goldilocks?

It doesn't and so is invalid until such time that religion is validated.

You are making a statement like it has some weight, validity or relevance where it in fact has none.

I should forego equality because of a dusty old book you want to play make-believe with?

Meanwhile back on planet earth............
    Dud he say that it gave him more validity. He is raising it as it is relevant as it is the context relating to his viewpoint.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    .............I disagree that racism is ever justified as the fact of being justified means that it is not racism.

If it were justified then it wouldn't be irrational. Would it?

I can envisage situations where someone might be racist because of an incident with one or two people, in the past, which deeply affected them. Whether such a thing would justify racism is a different matter completely.

The best I can say is that there might be a set of circumstances which justified racism, but they would be extremely rare.
  • Options
    LifeOfBryanLifeOfBryan Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dud he say that it gave him more validity. He is raising it as it is relevant as it is the context relating to his viewpoint.

More valid? Using a fictitious God as an excuse for any view has NO validity unless the person can validate their God first.

I know it's their whole gameplan to state like a fact what they merely think is reality and then carry straight on from that deeply flawed viewpoint without blinking, but they have no validity whatsoever.

So in the end, rather pointless posting what they think as it's is meaningless. When some of them then take action based on such nonsense and try and impose that nonsense on everyone, then that can not and should not be tolerated ever!

Or in black and white: Using a fictitious God as an excuse to stop people's equality is an invalid argument. (Not to mention outright disgusting!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    If it were justified then it wouldn't be irrational. Would it?

I can envisage situations where someone might be racist because of an incident with one or two people, in the past, which deeply affected them. Whether such a thing would justify racism is a different matter completely.

The best I can say is that there might be a set of circumstances which justified racism, but they would be extremely rare.

If it were justified it wouldn't be racism by definition.

If it was racism it would not be justified. Racism may be to a degree understandable because of past experience but that wouldn't make it justifiable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More valid? Using a fictitious God as an excuse for any view has NO validity unless the person can validate their God first.

I know it's their whole gameplan to state like a fact what they merely think is reality and then carry straight on from that deeply flawed viewpoint without blinking, but they have no validity whatsoever.

So in the end, rather pointless posting what they think as it's is meaningless. When some of them then take action based on such nonsense and try and impose that nonsense on everyone, then that can not and should not be tolerated ever!

Or in black and white: Using a fictitious God as an excuse to stop people's equality is an invalid argument. (Not to mention outright disgusting!)

He doesn't have to validate his God. He didn't say that his believes made his view more valid that anyone else which makes your asking him why he thought it did rather strange.

Repeatedly posting what we think is what we are allowed to do on a discussion forum.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    He doesn't have to validate his God. He didn't say that his believes made his view more valid that anyone else which makes your asking him why he thought it did rather strange.

Repeatedly posting what we think is what we are allowed to do on a discussion forum.

That's how the homophobes operate, they think their god overrules everyone and everything else, they don't need facts, logic or rationality when they have a bible
  • Options
    N3dSt4rkN3dSt4rk Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm 'The sanctity of marriage? considering 50% of marriages fail and the majority of those failures are due to infidelity that argument does not stand up. If the gays wanna get married more fool them.
  • Options
    zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's how the homophobes operate, they think their god overrules everyone and everything else, they don't need facts, logic or rationality when they have a bible

Maybe, like me ,they believe that God exists and that the Bible is logical and rational.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zackai48 wrote: »
    Maybe, like me ,they believe that God exists and that the Bible is logical and rational.

Insane people think they are logical and rational, it doesn't make them so.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Damn evolution. That Charles Darwin fella was full of sh*t :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then if you think that you can back it up then or not be taken seriously. Which is what is happening.

Religion has had more than enough time to come up with the goods and failed to do so.

People are getting sick of being told that how they are and what they do is an abomination and that just because of what someone thinks in their head, they should not have equal rights.

Religion has a lot to answer for and people will not take not answering for an answer.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Rick Ross wrote: »
    First off I'm a heterosexual guy and I know this has probably been done to death on this site but after a lively debate with a couple uni mates earlier I just wanted to go into 3 types of people against gay marriage.

Typically when one is making an indepth inquisition into the validity of someone else’s intrinsic ideology, the dissertation should be done with grandiloquence, intellectual consideration and a spirit open to intelligent discourse. The PROBLEM with this debate is that the anti-gay marriage people’s argument is so devoid of base logic, I can’t help but abandon any attempt at eloquence and just write this in ultra-layman's terms: If you have a problem with same-sex marriage you are STUPID.

I would like to take a minute to address all of you – and let you know that you should be banned from attempting to make an intellectual point in public ever again. Especially:

1) The sanctity of marriage idiots

These people’s argument is that allowing gay-people to get married would “devalue the sanctity of marriage” which is one of the most misused arguments I’ve ever heard in my LIFE. The ONLY time I ever hear this brought up is around Gay Marriage – but I remember being in the U.S and seeing: Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire or Who Wants To Marry A Midget, as long as everyone was straight, it was OK to turn marriage into a carnival sideshow. You have NO credible argument – you are just a musty bastard POSING as a righteous figure to cover up your homophobia.

2) The badman crowd

Being from the Caribbean myself this saddens me, there are many lovely islands and I advise any of you to go wherever and see for yourself, however as with everywhere there are some backward people “Battybwoy ah get married? Gunshot Fi dem!” If you've uttered this phrase you are a damn MORON. These will be the same guys with 6 kids by 5 women who feel like THEY are in some position to take MORAL authority over people who want nothing more than to have their genuine love for another person recognised just like everyone else. What’s “gay” is concerning yourself so deeply with what another man does in the privacy of his bedroom, that you feel the need to espouse your ignorance to all your 'bredgins' – right before you run a train on some hoodrat in the same basement like THAT’S the pinnacle of heterosexuality!

3) The religious zealots

Ah, you ultra religious looseballs never cease to amaze me with your extreme levels of HYPOCRISY & IGNORANCE. Stop citing Leviticus 20:13 and all that BS, PLEASE. Do you wanna know why you should NEVER cite the bible as a tool for making a point against gay marriage? Because it’s the same book that has been used [in correct context I might add] to promote slavery, racism and misogyny. Are you REALLY going to skim to the “man shouldn’t lie with another man” part and SKIP over the rest of the BULLSH*T in the other pages? You would be a FOOL to do that.

And the WORST part is that Religious people are starting to SULK and act like THEY are the ones being oppressed with society becoming more “gay-friendly” but they are missing the CRUX of the issue. Regardless of your religious sect, all you IDIOTS can get married to the person you love and live the life you always envisioned with them – in the VAST majority of places in this world, gay people can NOT. The fact that you would even try to frame yourselves as the UNDERDOGS in this fight of basic and decent RIGHTS is DISGUSTING.

.... and breathe, rant over and thanks for your time (if you managed to read this far :D )

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    As opposed to one or two who want to redefine homophobia as "anyone who disagrees with me, or criticises me or any gay person"?

I believe we do need some agreed (we'll be lucky) definition of the word, just to serve as a baseline.

Indeed. A couple of years ago I could see no need for same-sex marriage (which is not the same as being against it), until I had an exchange of posts with jswift909 (where's he now?) which completely changed my point of view.

That, surely is the point of a discussion, to see each others' views, not just hurl meaningless abuse at each other?

Even acceptng a change in meaning, the problem starts when you try to include both thought and action in a definition. There's also an inbuilt assumption in threads that there's something shameful about being homophobic, when, so far as thoughts and opinions are concerned, there's no reason why there should be.

While I wouldn't expect someone in a pub on Canal St to suddenly announce in a loud voice "I'm a homophobe, and proud of it", if someone is, they are, and there's probably nothing they can do about it.

Of course they can change their mind, as you did on equal marriage. Prejudice is not an unchanging part of a person's nature. People indulge it.
  • Options
    morbidangel101morbidangel101 Posts: 274
    Forum Member

You still haven't told us why gay and straight people 'obviously aren't equal'.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot believe something to be rational. It's either rational or it isn't. You cannot look at a blade of grass and say 'but I believe it to be a carrot'
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were justified it wouldn't be racism by definition.................

Which I meant to add as a logical result of my first sentence, but forgot to.
    BomoLad wrote: »
    You cannot believe something to be rational. It's either rational or it isn't. You cannot look at a blade of grass and say 'but I believe it to be a carrot'

Is there an objective test of whether a belief is rational? If not, then It's only an opinion, which as far as I'm concerned means the same as a belief. As distinct from knowledge.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no opinion on gay marriage one way or the other. The only thing I have a problem with are the idiots who insist on calling anyone who dares to disagree with them an idiot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What gets me why is a straight guy ranting about the subject matter? I am a straight guy and I am not interested in what gays want to achieve. I am not opposed to it but I do not care. What bothers me is the chip on the shoulder. The religious nuts are bothered but how valid is their opinion? This is what bothers me about gayness that fact that you have to tell me what bothers you about being gay. I don't care. Shag a Fu***n goat for all I care but don't tell me about it.

Most people do not care if another person is black, White, gay or otherwise but crappy threads like this just reinforce the stereotype
  • Options
    Forum Member
    N3dSt4rk wrote: »
    What gets me why is a straight guy ranting about the subject matter? I am a straight guy and I am not interested in what gays want to achieve. I am not opposed to it but I do not care. What bothers me is the chip on the shoulder. The religious nuts are bothered but how valid is their opinion? This is what bothers me about gayness that fact that you have to tell me what bothers you about being gay. I don't care. Shag a Fu***n goat for all I care but don't tell me about it.

Most people do not care if another person is black, White, gay or otherwise but crappy threads like this just reinforce the stereotype
    You mean the op? There are straights who seek equality for everyone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N3dSt4rk wrote: »

We will shut up when we have the same as you!

That was the part you didn't/don't understand.

Why should any straight person care> Because they are not selfish and have a very bad attitude of 'if it don't affect me. why should I care'.

As a total atheist why should I care that jesaya can't get married in her church even when they wish to be allowed to marry her? Answer: Because she is being stopped from doing so and equal to what others can do. So I fully support her campaign to be allowed to do so.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the part you didn't/don't understand.

And the part you don't understand is that you don't have the right to label everyone who disagrees with your views as being an idiot.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    And the part you don't understand is that you don't have the right to label everyone who disagrees with your views as being an idiot.

You'd have to be an idiot to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »

Disagrees or is homophobic? which do you mean?
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    25 pages on this?

I cannot envisage the day that I have the time to even bother with an opinion on a subject as trivial who somebody chooses to go to bed with.
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how people are really taking offence to the word idiot on here... Personally the people that don't want to allow gay marriage and have issues with it, I would use a much harsher word. Idiot to me is probably the least offensive term I'd use.

Gay marriage will be passed. That is what one of the Lib Dem members said at Pride yesterday. He said that there is no turning back, IT WILL be passed because as he said "Gay people deserve to be just as equal as everyone else and they should be allowed to express their love"

There was a massive roar of applause to which I loved. He was actually quite passionate about equal rights for gay bi lesbian trans people... But then he is a gay man also :-)