The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the soaps are such a machine it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The obvious example is that siege on 'stEnders when it went three times a week when the producer went mad and the episodes were far too violent to be shown before the watershed, so they had to cut loads out of it right at the last minute and put loads of stuff from the following episodes in its place. They did it, though they ended up losing an episode a few weeks later while they stockpiled enough material.
    I didn't know that. I'd always thought it odd they introduced the Monday episode in April 1994, and then took it off for one Monday in May!
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    BBC One airs Child of our Time on Wed/Thurs that week.

Mayday looks set to air during the first week of March. Will it be stripped?

Oh good I thought they had axed it. The kids will be 12 going 13 now. I've watched it since the start. Very interesting program.

I presume it rates badly. does anyone know it's viewing figures? Probably not.

Ken
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Little to report from Channel 5's Week 10 release in terms of new additions. But Cowboy Builders will be back, hopefully in an 8pm slot where it can be more competitive than it has been of late at 9pm. There'll also be a documentary on the Munich air disaster. And Crank 2: High Voltage is the week's film premiere.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    That's a big old drop for The Big Reunion. What happened there I wonder?
    No surprise considering it centred around Bewitched and The Honeyz. Why they lumped the two weaker acts together in one episode god knows.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know that. I'd always thought it odd they introduced the Monday episode in April 1994, and then took it off for one Monday in May!

Well, that's just a guess, because as you say they didn't show it on the May Day Bank Holiday and the Beeb said, oh, it's a Bank Holiday, they're different - but Will Wyatt's book said they lost the equivalent of an entire episode when they had to do their re-edit of the siege, so they must have just run out of material and used that as an excuse to catch up.

In Wyatt's book he says it was the producer's last shows before retirement and he had "taken leave of his senses" and produced programmes that couldn't be shown in the usual slot, and it was a question of either cutting them to buggery or showing them after the watershed which would have made them look stupid (as had been the case with the Casualty episode the previous year).
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Oh good I thought they had axed it. The kids will be 12 going 13 now. I've watched it since the start. Very interesting program.

Well, the last time it was on was in 2010. I dunno what kind of audience it gets, fairly middling I suppose for what it is. Doesn't hurt to stick it out on a quiet night, BBC1 doesn't need to get eight million every night.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the last time it was on was in 2010. I dunno what kind of audience it gets, fairly middling I suppose for what it is. Doesn't hurt to stick it out on a quiet night, BBC1 doesn't need to get eight million every night.

Good point. It's good PSB stuff as well. Really fascinating the last programs were.

Ken
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    BBC One are indeed striping Mayday across one week.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a459213/bbc-one-to-strip-new-drama-mayday-across-one-week.html

Good decision. It looks good to me. BBC One very rarely do this so it's nice to see them do it.

Torchwood must have been the last striped drama.

Ken

I expected it to be stripped but I'm surprised they're showing it so soon, especially since they've already advertising Prisoners' Wives which I guess will now be starting the following Tuesday. I thought the first week in May was the obvious place for it given when it's set, but it will rate better in March.

The first episode should do well at least, with a Call the Midwife lead in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    NCIS got 1.5m without +1.

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    I was only half-way through watching when I posted, so I eventually did hear her closing voice-over, yes - it was even funnier than the introduction! And she wonders aloud on Twitter why she gets grief from fans...

It was a cracking episode, ironically given it was the first one to be dumped at 11pm, with a brilliant ending which will definitely have me watching next week.

:D

23.4 million watching in the 8pm hour; 23.5m for 9pm (includes same-day timeshift). Somewhat low for a winter Wednesday perhaps but not hugely low. Multichannel had roughly half of viewing in each hour.

NCIS had 1.56m (6.6%) / 1.71m (7.25%) exc/inc +1.

The soaps saved ITV from a catastrophe: 13.9% / 14.6% in primetime. Across the whole day it had 15.2% / 15.9%.

Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmets (8pm, BBC2): 2.10m (9.0%) inc HD
    The One Show (7pm, BBC1): 4.21m (18.1%)
    BBC News at Ten (10pm, BBC1): 5.15m (27.0%)
    Killers Behind Bars: The Untold Story (8pm, C5): 1.00m (4.3%) / 1.09m (4.7%) exc/inc +1 :)

Thanks for the NCIS rating. Looks good. Surprised to see Killers Behind Bars repeats so high although series like that always rate well for 5. They are known for anything crime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little to report from Channel 5's Week 10 release in terms of new additions. But Cowboy Builders will be back, hopefully in an 8pm slot where it can be more competitive than it has been of late at 9pm. There'll also be a documentary on the Munich air disaster. And Crank 2: High Voltage is the week's film premiere.

Yeah agree with that, the last series which was stupidly scheduled didn't do well in the ratings if I remember.
    That documentary could do well depending on the competition for that night.
    Good to see NCIS improving btw, 1.71 apparently with +1, surely that's up atleast 500k on the season opener!!!
    How do you predict Beat the Ancestors will rate on Sunday?
    Do you know when and i dont watch this but it seems like Channel 5 are falling behind on episodes, but Castle hasn't been on for a while. With The Mentalist returning on Friday 22 Feb, I thought the usual combo of Mentalist then Castle at 9pm and 10pm respectively would come into play however the schedules haven't got Castle scheduled. Have Channel 5 lost their rights or something and how many seasons did they buy? Thanks :)
    Forum Member
    eterry21 wrote: »
    How do you predict Beat the Ancestors will rate on Sunday?
    No clue. It's incredibly rare for them to schedule a promising new factual series there so have no idea what to expect. But it's in keeping with other shows that have found an audience in that kind of slot on other channels, so hopefully it will go well. Weirdly it means the repeat on Monday night is going out in a better slot than the first showing !
    Do you know when and i dont watch this but it seems like Channel 5 are falling behind on episodes, but Castle hasn't been on for a while. With The Mentalist returning on Friday 22 Feb, I thought the usual combo of Mentalist then Castle at 9pm and 10pm respectively would come into play however the schedules haven't got Castle scheduled. Have Channel 5 lost their rights or something and how many seasons did they buy? Thanks :)
    They only had the rights to Seasons 1 and 2 and AFAIK they haven't picked up the rights to Season 3 yet. That may be that for Castle IMO as it didn't do as well as expected coming out of a very compatible show in The Mentalist. Chances are the CSI reruns which take over that slot will probably do about the same, if not better, than Castle. So it'd be hard to make a strong case for keeping it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I did read AI's ratings have fallen 47 pc from its peak. Maybe this show, which is even older than TXF, is in its twilight and could be gone. Also ratings on Five Star over here suggest interest in Britain has mostly gone.

yeah it has but to be fair AI always premieres high and then drops to steadier realistic numbers after a few weeks, but this season it is doing 3s and 4s which isnt great. Its definately in its twilight but its still rating bigger than x factor and is still fox's biggest show so it wont be gone just yet, also i assume it costs less to make than x factor. Uunfortunately for fox is AI is its biggest performer still by a long way but is no longer dominating like it used to, the race for 2nd place for the networks is therefore going to be very interesting. I think NBC could possibly snatch it if the voice comes back well and helps NBC to monday and tuesday wins as it was doing last season
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expected it to be stripped but I'm surprised they're showing it so soon, especially since they've already advertising Prisoners' Wives which I guess will now be starting the following Tuesday. I thought the first week in May was the obvious place for it given when it's set, but it will rate better in March.

The first episode should do well at least, with a Call the Midwife lead in.

Perhaps that's their thinking. A Call The Midwife/Top Gear lead-in.

But running it Sunday to Thursday leaves Friday open to another possible New Tricks repeat. (Suddenly New Tricks repeats have become the lowest form of television.:D) Although, as that's the Friday before Comic Relief, maybe they'll have a Comic Relief documentary that night. Perhaps a documentary about the Amazon challenge that some celebrities have embarked on.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spent this afternoon and early evening round at my parents' house, and in true Royle Family style the telly was on throughout regardless of whether anyone was actually sat in the living room, and naturally, it was on "number 3" (as they always have, and still, call it).

One thing that did occur to me - does ITV advertise anything other than Payday UK and Wonga 2000% APR loans? Every single ad break today.

Watching ITV is like walking down some grotty high street that has fallen on hard times - all charity shops and Poundland variants.

Then again, that's probably a good metaphor for ITV these days....

Anyway, coupled with my almost solitary viewing of the heart donor appeal the other night (ironic that me, Robbie Sykes, should have been there for the channel at the lowest point in its history :D) and today's viewing, I must have watched twice as much ITV1 as BBC1 this week. In fact, I think the only BBC1 I've seen since Monday morning is last night's News and Question TIme. What do people think of that then?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No clue. It's incredibly rare for them to schedule a promising new factual series there so have no idea what to expect. But it's in keeping with other shows that have found an audience in that kind of slot on other channels, so hopefully it will go well. Weirdly it means the repeat on Monday night is going out in a better slot than the first showing !

They only had the rights to Seasons 1 and 2 and AFAIK they haven't picked up the rights to Season 3 yet. That may be that for Castle IMO as it didn't do as well as expected coming out of a very compatible show in The Mentalist. Chances are the CSI reruns which take over that slot will probably do about the same, if not better, than Castle. So it'd be hard to make a strong case for keeping it.

When does the Monday repeat screen then ?!

And Okay thanks. I don't see why they should keep it then either.

Just saw Season 13 Premiere for CSI, looks really good.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Perhaps that's their thinking. A Call The Midwife/Top Gear lead-in.

But running it Sunday to Thursday leaves Friday open to another possible New Tricks repeat. (Suddenly New Tricks repeats have become the lowest form of television.:D) Although, as that's the Friday before Comic Relief, maybe they'll have a Comic Relief documentary that night. Perhaps a documentary about the Amazon challenge that some celebrities have embarked on.

Maybe they could do a bit of public service broadcasting and offer to repeat ITV's Have a Heart or whatever it was called, and see if they can improve on the 1.1m audience? :D
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

These are the overnight figures for Child in Our Time from 2006 onwards:

Series 6 (four Sundays at 8-9pm in Jan/Feb 2006)
    * Started with 5.33m (20.3%), ended with 4.035m (15.9%), averaging 4.57m (17.6%)

Series 7 (three Sundays at 7-8pm in Aug/Sep 2007)
    * Started at 3.30m (16.1%), ended with 3.03m (14.75%), averaging 2.81m (14.8%)

Series 8 (three Wednesdays at 8-9pm in May 2008)
    * Started at 2.87m (14.1%), ended with 2.40m (10.3%), averaging 2.84m (13.3%)

Series 9
    * This was "The Big Personality Test", broadcast on Sun 30 and Mon 31 May 2010 at 9pm. The two parts achieved 2.74m (12.3%) and 2.40m (9.4%), averaging 2.57m (10.8%)
    Forum Member
    When does the Monday repeat screen then ?!
    7pm. I'm not sure about these repeats so soon after the first showing, but there you go.

I just hope it finds an audience as I really liked what I saw of it. Haven't seen episodes 2 or 3 yet, will wait for them to go out on telly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7pm. I'm not sure about these repeats so soon after the first showing, but there you go.

I just hope it finds an audience as I really liked what I saw of it. Haven't seen episodes 2 or 3 yet, will wait for them to go out on telly.

Thanks, guess I should've guessed though.
    Channel 5 seem to tactically repeat their primetime shows in the 7pm weekday slot now. For instance, Winter Road Rescue airs 9pm Thursdays then repeats itself 7pm Fridays (which is an ideal lead in to Ice Road Truckers anyway I suppose). They seem to be using this with a lot of their shows.

This means viewers cannot miss out what with the first run, +1, on Demand and a repeat the following day!

Just out of interest, what is Channel 5's average in the 7pm slot?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    These are the overnight figures for Child in Our Time from 2006 onwards:

Series 9
    * This was "The Big Personality Test", broadcast on Sun 30 and Mon 31 May 2010 at 9pm. The two parts achieved 2.74m (12.3%) and 2.40m (9.4%), averaging 2.57m (10.8%)

Was that a Bank Holiday? FFS!:mad::mad::mad:. I guess BGT was on the other side, but still.....:mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, coupled with my almost solitary viewing of the heart donor appeal the other night (ironic that me, Robbie Sykes, should have been there for the channel at the lowest point in its history :D) and today's viewing, I must have watched twice as much ITV1 as BBC1 this week. In fact, I think the only BBC1 I've seen since Monday morning is last night's News and Question TIme. What do people think of that then?!

I think you should chillax and learn to love Death In Paradise.
    Forum Member
    What's it like on other Valentines Days? Kind of irritates me when people use valentines days, bonfire nights etc etc as excuses for ratings being down without Y-O-Y comparisons. I can't see an archive anywhere on the thread?

There didn't seem to be much in the way of a Valentine's Day effect last year:

Tue 7 Feb 2012 - Average primetime TV audience: 21.4m, 9pm hour: 23.2m
    Tue 14 Feb 2012 - Average primetime TV audience: 21.8m, 9pm hour: 24.2m
    Tue 21 Feb 2012 - Average primetime TV audience: 21.2m, 9pm hour: 25.2m

So perhaps the appeal of programmes on offer is more significant than a higher proportion of the audience than usual being out.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Was that a Bank Holiday? FFS!:mad::mad::mad:. I guess BGT was on the other side, but still.....:mad::mad:

Yes, it had a thankless slot up against Corrie during "Siege Week" at 9pm (9.98m) and BGT's first semi-final results show (9.75m) at 9.30pm.

The Sunday edition lost out to a Lewis series finale which had over 6m.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie yet again thinking ths thread is a 'catch all ITV bashing thread'.

All the rest of commercial tv was presumably showing upmarket adverts at 3pm I presume. Don't bother responding as it isn't on topic.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the good news for Channel 5, is that its crime dramas are back, CSI, NCIS & The Mentalist will all be airing new episodes soon, this is where the channels strength is, and it should not be messing around with reality trash.
This discussion has been closed.