They told me where to go effectively.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the letter today.

Phoned up.

They told me where to go effectively.

I assume you rang Retentions as suggested?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I assume you rang Retentions as suggested?

Got straight though using options as stated above. Gave me this bollo.x that I was already on the best deal etc.

Yeah right! I'm 5 months into an 18 month contract paying £23.65/month at the moment. That goes up to £28.65 next month & then £32/month in Feb 15

I will hand in my notice in December & find another provider. EE pay up to a £100 to buy you out of your contract. Will research if others do the same
  • Options
    Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got straight though using options as stated above. Gave me this bollo.x that I was already on the best deal etc.

Yeah right! I'm 5 months into an 18 month contract paying £23.65/month at the moment. That goes up to £28.65 next month & then £32/month in Feb 15

I will hand in my notice in December & find another provider. EE pay up to a £100 to buy you out of your contract. Will research if others do the same

That's not a lot of money is it just one service you are getting?
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm amazed you thought they could do anything, given that you are still in the first six months of an 18 month contract when the payments are very low.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Ahh yes. The old "they must be lying because....well.. I think they are." defence. >:(

You were put on the best possible deal they had at the time; ie 5 months ago. This price rise will allow you out of that contract.

Let's say they decided to drop your price rise, just to keep your custom. What are the chances that won't get out onto the internet so they're held over a barrel by a load of other customers. Is that good business?

Or, to put it another way....

What Ernie said ;)

Plus, why is your price going up next month and February? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus, why is your price going up next month and February? :confused:

£5 increase after 6 months

I only have landline & Broadband with them. No TV
  • Options
    CiderMonsterCiderMonster Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, i'm currently paying £56 a month for the pleasure of purely TV XL and Broadband (no phone) and not looking forward to paying over £60 for it ......

... what are others paying for similar services?
  • Options
    Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    FKToo wrote: »
    Well, i'm currently paying £56 a month for the pleasure of purely TV XL and Broadband (no phone) and not looking forward to paying over £60 for it ......

... what are others paying for similar services?

The BK package which is TV XL and 152mb broadband is currently £45 a month, telephone line rental is of course on top.
  • Options
    CiderMonsterCiderMonster Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fletch10 wrote: »
    The BK package which is TV XL and 152mb broadband is currently £45 a month, telephone line rental is of course on top.

Cheers Fletch, i'll have a nag at their phoneline / webchat later today ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    150 then 1 then 3

That's the only way to talk to retentions. No-one else can get you an "existing customer" deal.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a go today & didn't really get anywhere. They offered me half price sports & movies for 6 months at £89 then increasing to £106, which is what I will be paying anyway. I've priced up Sky, with fibre broadband & its coming out just short of £92. I pointed this out, but didn't get anywhere. I left it & said I would think about it, but would probably be leaving.
    Does anyone think I might get a better deal if I actually put my cancellation in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They can't always offer you a big discount. Perhaps, like me, you have most of what they've got so there's no "movement" available with.

Sometimes it might be best to lose a customer if you're not going to make much on them because they've got such a big discount.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't always offer you a big discount. Perhaps, like me, you have most of what they've got so there's no "movement" available with.

Sometimes it might be best to lose a customer if you're not going to make much on them because they've got such a big discount.

I was happy at first, £82 for 6 months & then £98, then she said she'd left off the HD charge & upped the figures. If they'd have waived that, I'd probably have agreed.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    £122 I pay

but that's because I have Big Kahuna, Sky Sports, Sky Movies, Premium Sky HD, 152meg broadband, basic phone and line rental. Oh and two boxes, both TiVo.

I can't fault the service. So happy to pay that amount.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    I was happy at first, £82 for 6 months & then £98, then she said she'd left off the HD charge & upped the figures. If they'd have waived that, I'd probably have agreed.
    This was for the Sky Movies channels I assume. If so then, had she waived the charge, VM would have basically been £84 out-of-pocket on the deal as they are forced to charge that by Sky and don't make anything out of it.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think some people here are being transparent, if you're getting a reduced rate for 6 months as part of a deal and then the rate increases as planned in the contract, and knowingly what you agreed to from the outset, that isn't a price rise.

Yes there is 1 price rise, but not 2 as one of those was just an already agreed reduced price for you.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after getting me letter about my 11.5% price increase had a look about virgins new prices are defiantly out. £17.50 for broadband is top end not as expensive as skys £20 a month for fibre but second most expensive. will ring them and i want £4 off a month or im off.

shame really i was happy with there service but this is the last straw its gone up a combined 21% in the last 2 years they're quite happily pricing them selves out of the market
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the other hand, if you want a top product you tend to have to pay a top price for it :)
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair a 21% price rise is 2 years is very OTT. If everything increased at that rate I am sure that would cause major issues.

many folks will only have had a fairly modest pay rise if they are lucky over the past 2 years and inflation is only at about 3% over pas 2 years, so 21% is ridiculous
  • Options
    tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were are our Law makers ?
    There's laws which now stop mobile phone companies from increasing your bills when you have a contract SO why not the same in TV platforms too...?
    Any new prices should never be put on the customers that already have services it should be on new customers only as the old customers are why the company is still in business and if the company needs to raise money then cut management wages 1st as an 1% pay rise to them is about 50% for those that do the real work in fixing and putting new customers online. ...
  • Options
    b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    countyboy wrote: »
    I have just done that, and spoke to a very helpful young lady. Explained politely that I have been with Telewest/Virgin for 20 years, and unhappy about not being automatically offered new bundles avaiable to new customers (at a lower price)....and the price increase to us, as pensioners, is the final straw.

She was able to offer me a Tivo box, 6 months Netflix, an upgraded router, and 150 meg alongside the comparable TVXL package and Talk Unlimited for £8 less than I am currently paying.

I am happy with that.

how do you know she was young
  • Options
    HelixHelix Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    Were are our Law makers ?
    There's laws which now stop mobile phone companies from increasing your bills when you have a contract SO why not the same in TV platforms too...?
    Any new prices should never be put on the customers that already have services it should be on new customers only as the old customers are why the company is still in business and if the company needs to raise money then cut management wages 1st as an 1% pay rise to them is about 50% for those that do the real work in fixing and putting new customers online. ...

They let you get out of the contract early if you don't like the price increases.

What the mobile networks were doing was different. They were trying to lock you into a contract if they put the price up, as long as the price increase was less than the rate of inflation. Now they have to be upfront about the fact this will happen when you take out the contract or not do it.
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have VIP package with extra TiVo. Anyone have an idea how much my price will increase by please?

Have just taken out LRS at £144 (just in time) but have 14 days to cancel that so might have to end my relationship with VM if too much as my offer deal ends in April (had 12 months half price excl. line rental) so sadly will be too expensive I'm thinking.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they'll rejig the packages for new customers and allow existing to sign-up for them if you sign for a new contract.