The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    Me too. What happened there? Did Guy ever say anything about why they abandoned BBC Introducing for an open selection?

Why bother searching when they can come to us was probably their lazy mindset.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Actually think it would be a good thing if that happened.
    I am not sure the BBC could withstand the pressure from the press to withdraw if we finished last or get 0 points. Even the culture committee in parliament I could see suggesting withdrawal arguing a waste of license fee money. Therefore a very low placing would not be a good result at all.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think if Molly had made the top 10 last year then we would have had a completely different entry this year
  • da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    A new 'rockier' version of the Portuguese entry was submitted to the Heads of Delegation meeting:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.escportugal.pt/2015/03/esc2015-versao-final-da-cancao-de.html&prev=search

Not sure if that will affect any of your rankings :p
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure Guy has as much free reign as he did last year after Molly's relative flop. The "Eurovision panel" probably consists of Guy and a load of Terry Wogans and Katie Taylors making most of the decisions.
  • stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I for one think it's a good song, regardless of which Country sent it. I really don't understand the "hideous intent" behind the writers and artist??
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gdrx78 wrote: »
    Hey-I'd normally agree-but in this occasion I'll happily make an exception.

Gagarina is a big star-not some poor sap put in an uncomfortable position by some propagandist.

She spent a great part of her youth in Greece-a country that historically stands for everything Russia currently doesn't (OK-apart from their wars! Erk!)

She knows exactly what she is singing-and knows exactly how untrue the message of Russian Peace and Love truly is! We have no Ukraine this year, due to the situation in their country being so devastating. Because of State Sanctioned Russian Military Muscle.

I'm shocked that so many people have actually rated this song so highly, and have a 'oh it's got a great production, and a great tune-even if the lyrics are a bit cheeky)

I Listened ONCE-and it genuinely horrified me! I don't care about the tune, I don't care about the production. I DO worry about the lyrics-and the hideous intent behind them.

I care about the people who have been oppressed and murdered by the nation having the audacity to present themselves as peace and love. And i worry for every citizen in every other former USSR nation-because the message we can send at Eurovision could show them they will have our love and support when Putin decides he wants their land and homes, and they're not in a position to fight back.

I don't know what's happened to me since i've started posting here. I'm honestly not this kinda nightmare in real life!!!! HONEST!!!! LOL!

I just think it's about the song. I'm sure Putin has nothing to do with it, just like Cameron has nothing to do with our entry (or maybe that explains it).

Many would argue that the UK has had dubious dealings in the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    I am not sure the BBC could withstand the pressure from the press to withdraw if we finished last or get 0 points. Even the culture committee in parliament I could see suggesting withdrawal arguing a waste of license fee money. Therefore a very low placing would not be a good result at all.

That was more true if the 00s. In recent years the blame has shifted more towards the BBC from the press.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    da33431 wrote: »
    A new 'rockier' version of the Portuguese entry was submitted to the Heads of Delegation meeting:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.escportugal.pt/2015/03/esc2015-versao-final-da-cancao-de.html&prev=search

Not sure if that will affect any of your rankings :p

Possible that they could escape my zone of doom if it breaths a bit of life in the entry, but I would be more certain of that if they submitted a new singer too
  • gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Me too. What happened there? Did Guy ever say anything about why they abandoned BBC Introducing for an open selection?

I can only imagine after the poor showing of the UK last year, as well as the shoddy treatment Molly got from the UK media, put quite a few folk off wanting to represent us.

It may well be an audience of 200+ million-but that's an awful lot of folk to feel yourself branded a flop in front of for some people wanting to create a career in Music!

Barring Jade have any of our post 2000 entries had a successful Music career? Thats a genuine question btw-not a rhetorical one! lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure we wouldn't withdraw. Secretly I think is Brits love a good moan and don't know what to do with ourselves when we do well!

I remember rumblings of "oh we only won because tony Blair came into power" in 97 for instance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was more true if the 00s. In recent years the blame has shifted more towards the BBC from the press.

The government could never argue that it was a waste of money because the BBC would get the facts and figures out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can only imagine after the poor showing of the UK last year, as well as the shoddy treatment Molly got from the UK media, put quite a few folk off wanting to represent us.

It may well be an audience of 200+ million-but that's an awful lot of folk to feel yourself branded a flop in front of for some people wanting to create a career in Music!

Barring Jade have any of our post 2000 entries had a successful Music career? Thats a genuine question btw-not a rhetorical one! lol

True. But a winner may well be looked at like a god lol
  • ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very pleased to see Romania will be singing in English and Romania :D
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    I'm sure we wouldn't withdraw. Secretly I think is Brits love a good moan and don't know what to do with ourselves when we do well!

I remember rumblings of "oh we only won because tony Blair came into power" in 97 for instance.
    Haha! :D

Enthusiasm is seen as a negative trait in this country, which doesn't help our approach to the contest a lot of the time.
  • AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    I can't really remember but did Katrina and the Waves really get anything out of winning career wise? I know Gina G had some success for a while, but it's been years of flops for our Eurovision entrants- music career wise. Even second placed Imaani got absolutely zilch out of it.
  • gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    DamienS wrote: »
    I just think it's about the song. I'm sure Putin has nothing to do with it, just like Cameron has nothing to do with our entry (or maybe that explains it).

Many would argue that the UK has had dubious dealings in the world.

But we have never EVER sent a song like this-not when we as country were invading for oil or anything.

I wouldn't even mind so much if Russia had entered with any other song 'message'-this is just crass, insulting and twisted! Calculated propaganda, that will be seen by their politicians as a support for their country when it does well-because everyone will 'vote for the song'
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member

Yeah I think you're right. I also do wonder if the BBC Introducing team weren't happy to be associated with Eurovision? Just like the record companies, really.

I do feel a really bad atmosphere in the air this year, re: our entry. The press were out for blood more than ever after the reveal, and I think after the relative high of Molly last year, the majority of UK fans were more critical than usual (myself included).

I think the backlash from the public & press will be more brutal than usual if we don't do well, and it will be aimed at the BBC rather than the usual "Europe hates us". Another excuse for the anti-BBC brigade to rant against them, basically.

I hope I'm wrong on all counts, though!
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think you're right. I also do wonder if the BBC Introducing team weren't happy to be associated with Eurovision? Just like the record companies, really.

I do feel a really bad atmosphere in the air this year, re: our entry. The press were out for blood more than ever after the reveal, and I think after the relative high of Molly last year, the majority of UK fans were more critical than usual (myself included).

I think the backlash from the public & press will be more brutal than usual if we don't do well, and it will be aimed at the BBC rather than the usual "Europe hates us". Another excuse for the anti-BBC brigade to rant against them, basically.

I hope I'm wrong on all counts, though!
    The general public seem to like out entry as they think its what Eurovision is about. I suspect the Europe hates us message will be much stronger if Russia, Estonia or Slovenia win it than if Sweden or Italy win.
    A nil point for the UK and a Russian win will create extremely negative reactions in the press
  • stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calculated propaganda, that will be seen by their politicians as a support for their country when it does well-because everyone will 'vote for the song'

Good, I hope everyone does vote for the song, and not for the politics of it. As for the politicians, I'm sure a song will not change the views they already hold.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

!

Probably not. The BBC have a habit of doing this. Look at 2009/10. 2009 and 2010 were selected in much the same way. 2009 was successful, so they did it again. 2010 flopped so they abandoned the idea. This is what they did last year - it wasn't successful so dropped it straight away.

It's a shame
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alicey wrote: »
    I can't really remember but did Katrina and the Waves really get anything out of winning career wise? I know Gina G had some success for a while, but it's been years of flops for our Eurovision entrants- music career wise. Even second placed Imaani got absolutely zilch out of it.

It comes back to the BBC selecting 'Never will be's.' 'Past its beyond reviving' or 'BBC lovies' they've done it for 60 years more or less. Problem is the BBC used to know how to make those restrictions work. In the televoting era that will never work. Nobody expects a listers but there will always be somebody some what relevant willing to do it. if Australia can come up with a good new song in 48 hours so can a country like the UK but the BBC must be proactive.
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought I'd defend Russia but I think after last year's debacle I feel kind of strangely protective over these artists who go and represent Russia. While the intent last year was to boo Russia for political reasons the fact that it done so in relation to two 16 year old girls really made me uncomfortable at how bad the reaction was, and marred the entire show for me. How many times can I defend the notion that Eurovision is not 'political' and yet that occurs?

These artists represent their country, not their government nor do they represent the viewpoint of every member of their nation. Let's not forget that most of the channels that are part of the EBU are publicly funded. Calling Russia out for propaganda via the government and peace messages is a bit hypocritical imo, when last year the UK sent a song in the same vein from a channel that is overseen by our government and an artist found via a programme funded in part through public contributions.

The fact is, all these countries do some dodgy things, Russia has a marred past and continues to have 'issues' shall we say, but these artists do not. If the exec for Eurovision wants Russia want to send these types of messages when selecting their artists fair enough. It might be nauseating but they're not wrong to do so, and if it's a well crafted song, it's just that. They're not trying to brainwash anyone.

/rantover :p
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    The general public seem to like out entry as they think its what Eurovision is about. I suspect the Europe hates us message will be much stronger if Russia, Estonia or Slovenia win it than if Sweden or Italy win.
    A nil point for the UK and a Russian win will create extremely negative reactions in the press

I agree, which is exactly why I suspect we'll have a worse backlash than usual - if the general public think our entry is perfect for Eurovision, then if we do badly, the moaning is going to be LOUD. Ugh, I shall be avoiding all social media after the final!

I don't even want to contemplate Russia winning. That would create a huge mess.
  • Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.