Options

Should The Battle Of Trenzalore been longer?

dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
Forum Member
For So Long Trenzalore was built up as the doctors final battle that he would die amongst millions it battle i cant help feel that it was totally disregarded and just a plot device for smiths regeneration Surely they should of Done a two parter with the Battle taking Place in the 2nd episode rather then 3 minutes of the doctor blasting the Daleks away

was anyone else Disappointed by the 'Battle of Trenzalore' ?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, another couple of hundred years of standoff would have made all the difference

:D
  • Options
    dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    Yeah, another couple of hundred years of standoff would have made all the difference

:D

i know it was over 1000s of years but we never actually seen some huge epic battle like it was built up to be
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    The fans would most likely never be happy with the end result. There's probably also budget constraints to take into consideration.
    Some of these things are best left to the imagination or you may risk being disappointed.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the reality we all have to accept as Doctor Who fans. It wasn't fairly small scale because Moffat wanted it that way. Its because he has to work with a limited budget and still he doesn't shy away from stretching it and thinking big. Of course in his mind Moffat would have envisioned something with the grand and epic sweep of a Helms Deep with legions of the Doctors enemies fighting battle after battle. Alas they just don't have the money. With that in mind I think they do a grand job of working around the budget limitations.

Considering what they have to work with I think the show often produces wonders. At the same time it does often cross my mind what a writer like Moffat and the talented team he works with could do with the kind of money that gets thrown at utter lowest common denominator hacks who make Transformers and that sort of thing. Sadly we are unlikely to ever find out.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the reality we all have to accept as Doctor Who fans. It wasn't fairly small scale because Moffat wanted it that way. Its because he has to work with a limited budget and still he doesn't shy away from stretching it and thinking big. Of course in his mind Moffat would have envisioned something with the grand and epic sweep of a Helms Deep with legions of the Doctors enemies fighting battle after battle. Alas they just don't have the money. With that in mind I think they do a grand job of working around the budget limitations.

Considering what they have to work with I think the show often produces wonders. At the same time it does often cross my mind what a writer like Moffat and the talented team he works with could do with the kind of money that gets thrown at utter lowest common denominator hacks who make Transformers and that sort of thing. Sadly we are unlikely to ever find out.

Basically we are talking the difference between a film with a big budget and a TV program!
    A big film like Lord of the Rings took about 6-7 years for 10.5 hours screen time and we get an entire Doctor Who series thats 9.75 hours (if you take 13 episodes at 45 min each and some are often a little longer), completed in 9 months with lots of CGI and all in HD with 5.1 sound and a sound score that would rival any major movie!

Heck the produces, cast and crew of Dr Who are better than their counter parts in Hollywood!
    If they had the budget of a blockbuster film just imagine what we could have on Who!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    For So Long Trenzalore was built up as the doctors final battle that he would die amongst millions it battle i cant help feel that it was totally disregarded and just a plot device for smiths regeneration Surely they should of Done a two parter with the Battle taking Place in the 2nd episode rather then 3 minutes of the doctor blasting the Daleks away

I was. As you mentioned, the battle was really built up and then sort of fizzled out.

I think the same thing happened with the Hurt Doctor. The ending of "The Name of the Doctor" gave the strong impression that there was going to be this great conflict between the Hurt Doctor and the 11th Doctor but nothing came of that. Instead the 3 Doctors traded witty quips with each other (which I did enjoy) but the confrontation that "Name" implied didn't happen.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    I think the same thing happened with the Hurt Doctor. The ending of "The Name of the Doctor" gave the strong impression that there was going to be this great conflict between the Hurt Doctor and the 11th Doctor but nothing came of that. Instead the 3 Doctors traded witty quips with each other (which I did enjoy) but the confrontation that "Name" implied didn't happen.

Hmm. I never really got that impression. I could see how it could have gone that way, but I don't think anything clearly pointed to it.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fortunately, there's a book coming out at the end of February based on the Trenzalore battles. :D
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the Doctor still buried there or has the timeline altered?
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Nah, I think we saw more than enough to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Is the Doctor still buried there or has the timeline altered?

Timeline was altered when the Time Lords intervened so he's no longer buried there. Then again, maybe when he does die he will be. Who knows.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timeline was altered when the Time Lords intervened so he's no longer buried there. Then again, maybe when he does die he will be. Who knows.

Suddenly it's become his home, where he's spent more time than anywhere else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any thoughts?

It was disapointing and suffered from probably lack of budget and more so from bad execution from a story point of view.

I know some some will say that its "just a tv show" and "limited budget" but this was not only the xmas ep but also a regenertion ep as well so the BBC would be hungry for the ratings and open to giving the show a little extra cash.

Shows like Stargate and Star Trek managed to pull off some pretty amazing visuals and they were both tv shows.

Dont get me wrong as I liked the concept of the Dr staying around to protect a village from the bad guys but you have to ask how many people lived there and despite the Dr defending them, how many died.

I would argue that even with the Dr's protection at best the village would have held a 90 years.
    It could be that Tasha Lem was assisting the Dr and supplying food/medical supplies etc.

Loved the idea of a helms deep style fortress with the Dr defending it from the various hordes of bad guys.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOTD was a bit confusing turns out there wasn't an "endless bitter war". It only took 300 years for the doctor to "die" of old age. If Kovarian and her mates really wanted to get rid of him and revent Trenzalore tehy could have just locked him in a cell and left him to age and rot. Plus the idea that Tasha Lem was another one of his exes. Wouldn't that mean she would have been jealous of River ?. Dr does seem to have an addiction to wedding cake. He "married" Elizaabeth 1,Marilyn Monroe and River of course but not Tasha.He also had affairs with Rennete,Joan and something happened with Cleopatra that she thought was worth mentioning.Yet he is still akward and has no clue about women!.