Options

Access to medical records

The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know if legally anyone i.e prospective employers, can access your medical records?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know if legally anyone i.e prospective employers, can access your medical records?

Thanks.

I think they need your signed consent.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks.

They should not be able to due to the Data Protection Act.
  • Options
    Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't without permisson, but you shouldn't lie when questioned about medical conditions.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^I wouldn't dare:eek:

Many thanks everyone;)
  • Options
    quincemeisterquincemeister Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    To the best of my knowledge an employer would have no right to obtain your medical records unless they have your written permission.

Even if you are applying for life insurance - ie a situation where the life office would definitely need to access your medical records you still have to sign an authority and they cannot get your file without it.

Hope this sets your mind at rest (from one 'meister' to another!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi i work as a medical secretary.

Your employer cannot access your medical records without your permission.

you have to sign a form giving your employer the right to information.

It also depends what they are looking for is it info on a recent illness thats stopped you from working?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    No. Not unless you give express written permission. There are strict confidentiality rules to protect you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    And even if you did give consent, it would not be a case of them having your actual record to fish through. It would be a case of your employer asking questions which the GP would then answer to the best of his ability. Your employer would also have to pay for the privelege. There are standard medicals for employees like taxi drivers.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    wil100861 wrote: »
    And even if you did give consent, it would not be a case of them having your actual record to fish through. It would be a case of your employer asking questions which the GP would then answer to the best of his ability. Your employer would also have to pay for the privelege. There are standard medicals for employees like taxi drivers.

Correct, they can ask the doctor for a report though.