How long between re-reads?

UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How long do you tend to give a book before re-reading again? I started reading Six Second by Rick Moffina recently and looked back to when I last read it, was surprised that it was only November when I last read it :eek:

Comments

• rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    It varies. Light books/holiday reading I can read again within a few months of the last read, more weighty tomes especially with complex plots I like to leave several years before reading again.
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read Rachel's Holiday by Marion Keyes about six months ago. Loved it and am dying to read it again already but got a new Kindle for xmas and had a downloading frenzy. I probably have enough on there to last me till next xmas! Help I don't know what to do.:confused::)
  • RolnikovRolnikov Posts: 967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reread comics and non-fiction, hardly ever fiction - too many new books to read. But I'll flick through a book for ten minutes if I'm reading its sequel.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Books that I've REALLY loved will be re-read almost immediately, usually because I'm missing the characters :o
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some books I will re-read quickly, expecially if I am rushing to get it finished (book club meeting looming). When I read the Time Traveler's Wife, I knew I hadn't completely got it first time round, so as soon as I finished, I started again. Then I got it.
    Other books, I tend to wait til I really cannot remember what it was about. I'm finding that timescale is getting shorter the older I get...:(
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years. I don't tend to re-read all that many books because I have a lot lined up that I haven't read yet but sometimes you just want to relax with a great story you've enjoyed before.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are too many books out there and too little time for me to read them. So the answer to the OP is forever as I never re-read books!
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read my favourite series of books several times over 20 years. I think I like long series because they take me so long to get through them.
    It's handy to have a whole collection in order on my sony reader, as I went through the whole Asimov set from "Caves of Steel" to "Foundation and Earth" over the course of a few months.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not many books I reread, but I reread Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird probably about every two or three years.

But I have so many books on my shelves which I haven't read even once that I feel a bit guilty if I read many more than once.
  • carriebebecarriebebe Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Books that I've REALLY loved will be re-read almost immediately, usually because I'm missing the characters :o

was like that with the sookie stackhouse books
  • NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've re-read a couple of J.R.Wards Books within a few weeks, i love her books so much i will re-read them all.:cool:
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally I don't re-read books at all.

The only exception is that I read Sense & Sensibility, Emma, and Pride & Prejudice every year (this is the fifth year running). No idea why - I just get a yen to read them every January.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    tinyangel wrote: »
    I read Rachel's Holiday by Marion Keyes about six months ago. Loved it and am dying to read it again already but got a new Kindle for xmas and had a downloading frenzy. I probably have enough on there to last me till next xmas! Help I don't know what to do.:confused::)

Its really hard isn't it I have so many downloaded really random stuff as well..I kind of miss waiting to get to the bookshop :o On re reads I can't do it I hate knowing the ending.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    The only book I have ever re-read is Brideshead Revisited (3 times).
  • SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I re-read my favourite books about once a year. It's like visiting old friends for me. :o:D
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salbates wrote: »
    I re-read my favourite books about once a year. It's like visiting old friends for me. :o:D

How many do you re-read that often? And can you give some examples? (I'm curious!)
  • LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I re-read The Thorn Birds at least once a year. It's my favourite book of all time, and even though I could almost recite the pages now, I love picking up the characters again every single time.

My fourth paperback is looking very sorry for itself now, and I managed to find a pdf of it online, converted it with calibre, and it's now on my Kindle - bliss!!

But I don't think I've ever re-read anything else, well not that I can remember anyway.

I have shelves of unread books that I'm trying to work through, but the Kindle draws me every day.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes the second read is just as enjoyable as you spot the plots developing and have more insight into the motives through hindsight. I read the Hyperion Cantos last summer for the first time, I think I'll need to reread it soon!
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    Sometimes the second read is just as enjoyable as you spot the plots developing and have more insight into the motives through hindsight. I read the Hyperion Cantos last summer for the first time, I think I'll need to reread it soon!

I've often found that with films, but can't seem to enjoy re-reading books in the same way.

With a film, you have to go with the pace that's set so that you miss details and can't fully appreciate certain scenes. But you set your own pace with a book and can re-read especially enjoyable passages there and then or ones that are unclear so that you can make yourself understand what's going on and register every detail before advancing.

So I often find I've got everything I can out of a book the first time I read it.

But that's just me!
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I've just re read animal Farm by George Orwell. The last time I read it was about 28 years ago.

The only other book I can remember re reading is Wuthering Heights.

Of course every now and then I get a new book and rush home to start it, only to realise that I have already read it !

I have about 45 books on my " to read " shelf ..... life's too short for re reads ;);)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    depends on the quality of the book.

I read One Day by David Nicholls. Then 48 hours after finishing it-I read it again. :D
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reread the odd book, like Wuthering Heights which I've read three times and Jane Eyre which I've read twice.

But there are so many books out there that I only really read books the once.. :)
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I have read Shogun by James Clavell 5 times, last time 2 years ago, and I am starting to lean towards reading it again. Usually want to reread favourites about once every 3 or 4 years or so. But I have so many books on my bookshelf unread that I do feel guilty. Some of them have been lying there for over 10 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    It depends on the book. I've reread my Terry Pratchett collection at least 3 times each, but that's because there's so much great comedy packed into every sentence that I couldn't possibly remember it all. For something more plot-driven, I tend to wait a lot longer to reread it, if ever.

These days I don't get much rereading done, there's always something new to catch my eye. I mostly only reread a book if I'm bored and waiting for a new one to arrive.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I have read Shogun by James Clavell 5 times, last time 2 years ago, and I am starting to lean towards reading it again. Usually want to reread favourites about once every 3 or 4 years or so. But I have so many books on my bookshelf unread that I do feel guilty. Some of them have been lying there for over 10 years.

I know exactly how you feel ( see above ).

I have a morbid fear that I will shuffle off this mortal coil, leaving unread books behind me :eek::cry:

I am making a concerted effort to read what I have and not buy for a while.

But still, I say that all the time but never listen to myself :)