Options

So its official: Murdoch has turned his back on Cameron

Comments

• Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Boris and Gove are the only two suggestions I've seen so far.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its official: Murdoch has turned his back on Cameron

So he's gone back to Labour then? - they are welcome to him. :D
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It's obvious Murdoch's against Cameron, you only have to see The Sun's criticism of Cameron to realise this. I couldn't believe that The Sun was actually criticising David Cameron. They wouldn't have a bad word said against him after the election. It seems that Murdoch's trying to turn his gullible readers against Cameron in revenge for Cameron discarding Murdoch.

Funny, but all I see is all sections of the press iturning against this government, I mean, if a Tory led government cannot even get the support of the Daily Mail, sheesh
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how these Conservatives turn on each other. Who needs enemies when these people are fighting amongst themselves!
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    It's about time Murdoch realised the game is up, we know what he has been up to, it was said many years ago that he wanted to bring down the Monarchy and he has shown how he can influence who gets into government .

He should slither away whilst he still has some of his Empire left.
    He wanted to bring down the monarchy? There was 1 good thing about him then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murdoch is under investigation by OFCOM, to see if he passes the fit and proper persons test.
  • Options
    Whoopie DooWhoopie Doo Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun have certainly gone all anti Tory again and in quite a big way.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    The question is this: If Rupert Murdoch blames Cameron and the Tories for the hacking scandal revelations, having to close down the NOTW and his failure to take full control of BSKYB, isn't it a bit harsh?

I doubt he blames Cameron for any of that. I would think it's more to do with what happened after the revelations and subsequent events.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murdoch doesn't hold grudges - he simply does whatever is in the best interest of his business empire. He's battering the Tories now so that their opinion rating falls to a level where they feel that they can't win the next election without his support. Murdoch will then pull out the shopping list of demands which the Tories will be forced to accept.

It's a dangerous game but given that Labour is already quietly talking about ending the 'war' on Murdoch it's highly likely that he will be able to go back to playing them off against each other very soon.
  • Options
    Transient1Transient1 Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murdoch doesn't hold grudges - he simply does whatever is in the best interest of his business empire. He's battering the Tories now so that their opinion rating falls to a level where they feel that they can't win the next election without his support. Murdoch will then pull out the shopping list of demands which the Tories will be forced to accept.

It's a dangerous game but given that Labour is already quietly talking about ending the 'war' on Murdoch it's highly likely that he will be able to go back to playing them off against each other very soon.

Were have you heard that?
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I think Murdochs power has been vastly overrated for years now, for always really. People buy newspapers that agree with how they see things, not the other way round. The BBC has a far, far greater influence over the general publ.ic than Murdoch does (although the BBC's power is also waning)

I dunno about that. Murdoch controls the largest TV station, the one of the largest quality newspapers and leading tabloid - that gives him access to a huge audience in this country.

That power however is declining - people have seen how Murdoch has subverted the institutions at the top of the country - both parliament and the police - and do not like it - so are less likely to be fooled next time.

Indeed had you suggested before last year that Murdoch was unfit to run a newspaper or TV station it would be laughed at - now it is being seriously suggested.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would surprise me as Tom Watson is still all over any News Int story like a bad rash.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Murdock's behaving like a wounded animal whose been cornered, & given the revelations over the last year Labour would be foolish to court Murdock again, considering how toxic Murdock has become.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Airam wrote: »
    Who on earth have the Tories got as heir apparent?

Not the chancellor - he's even more toxic than the PM.

Gove, Lansley, May, Clarke ? I don't think so!

Hammond? Too bland not well known.

IMHO William Hague is about the only possibility. He's more respected than last time.

I like Hague, also don't dismiss David Davies
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Murdock's behaving like a wounded animal whose been cornered, & given the revelations over the last year Labour would be foolish to court Murdock again, considering how toxic Murdock has become.

And what do you do to wounded animals?

It would solve the issue
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would surprise me as Tom Watson is still all over any News Int story like a bad rash.

Yes, but Mr Watson is hardly a member of the Labour leadership.

I can't remember where I heard it - maybe the Daily Politics or This Week - but the suggestion was that the 'New Labour' members of the party have started arguing that Labour can't win without at least neutrality from the Murdoch press and hence it might be time to rebuild bridges.

No one should underestimate Murdoch's skill and ability to manipulate situations to his benefit. A lot has happened that seems damaging to his empire, and the current situation is the most dangerous it's ever been for him, but i have a feeling that in the long run he will still be standing when everyone else is long gone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but Mr Watson is hardly a member of the Labour leadership.

I can't remember where I heard it - maybe the Daily Politics or This Week - but the suggestion was that the 'New Labour' members of the party have started arguing that Labour can't win without at least neutrality from the Murdoch press and hence it might be time to rebuild bridges.

No one should underestimate Murdoch's skill and ability to manipulate situations to his benefit. A lot has happened that seems damaging to his empire, and the current situation is the most dangerous it's ever been for him, but i have a feeling that in the long run he will still be standing when everyone else is long gone.

I think he's a cabinet member though. As for rebuilding bridges with Murdoch, a number of Labour includind Yvette Cooper and D Miliband have written for the Sun on Sunday, so I'm sure at least part of party sees that they have to appeal to an audience beyond Guardian readers. What I find slightly strange at Murdoch's anti-Tory turn, is the timing. I'm reluctant to believe it's Leveson, as it's been months since the announcement of the inquiry. I suspect after the budget and the Granny Tax (the latter of which has affected Tory support) along with a line of mishaps by the government since Febuary, Murdoch's clearly doubting their ability (Tories) to win a majority, but it's been obvious that has not become any more possible than it was in 2010 for over a year now. The question for Murdoch is, is wherther he would support an Ed M led Labour party, or he is holding out for Yvette.

This has been a pretty shite week for the Tories, though and the question is wherther this is mid-term blues, or a gamechanger. I'm inclined to think the former, but if Cameron doesn't do what he needs to (which his review his own government operation, and his advisory team) then the weapon of competence will be something Labour will use, and it is far more damaging to the Tories than ''unfairness'' claims will be. By next week, the government need to get a handle on things, and Maude, Letwin, etc need to back-room men rather than speaking on behalf of the government. FGS, even Gove would be better.

I think Murdoch will probably survive his own crisis though, it's his children's future in his empire which is more questionable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's a cabinet member though. As for rebuilding bridges with Murdoch, a number of Labour includind Yvette Cooper and D Miliband have written for the Sun on Sunday, so I'm sure at least part of party sees that they have to appeal to an audience beyond Guardian readers. What I find slightly strange at Murdoch's anti-Tory turn, is the timing. I'm reluctant to believe it's Leveson, as it's been months since the announcement of the inquiry. I suspect after the budget and the Granny Tax (the latter of which has affected Tory support) along with a line of mishaps by the government since Febuary, Murdoch's clearly doubting their ability (Tories) to win a majority, but it's been obvious that has not become any more possible than it was in 2010 for over a year now. The question for Murdoch is, is wherther he would support an Ed M led Labour party, or he is holding out for Yvette.

This has been a pretty shite week for the Tories, though and the question is wherther this is mid-term blues, or a gamechanger. I'm inclined to think the former, but if Cameron doesn't do what he needs to (which his review his own government operation, and his advisory team) then the weapon of competence will be something Labour will use, and it is far more damaging to the Tories than ''unfairness'' claims will be. By next week, the government need to get a handle on things, and Maude, Letwin, etc need to back-room men rather than speaking on behalf of the government. FGS, even Gove would be better.

I think Murdoch will probably survive his own crisis though, it's his children's future in his empire which is more questionable.

Not reading alll that. :D
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Airam wrote: »
    Who on earth have the Tories got as heir apparent?

Not the chancellor - he's even more toxic than the PM.

Gove, Lansley, May, Clarke ? I don't think so!

Hammond? Too bland not well known.

IMHO William Hague is about the only possibility. He's more respected than last time.

Hague has the gravitas to be leader but not sure that he has any better a grip on policies than the rest of the shower.

What we need is a leader who would put country before self.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    I think The Sun's readers tend to be people very much affected by what the tories are doing
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    It's the politicians who have created this myth about Murdoch power. Murdoch knows that it is bad for his business if he is backing a political loser. A big deal was made about the Sun coming out for Labour at the start of the 1997 campaign but it had been clear for years that Labour would win the next election, it was just a question of the size of the majority (a decent win under Smith, or a landslide win under Blair). 'The Sun Wot Won It' from 1992 was the biggest pile of bull I've ever heard. It didn't take tabloid scare stories to tell Tory voters that Kinnock wasn't cut out to be Prime Minister. The opinion polls were so wrong that it allowed the Sun myth to take hold. The Tories were always on course to win in 1992 but the pollsters failed to spot it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the politicians who have created this myth about Murdoch power. Murdoch knows that it is bad for his business if he is backing a political loser. A big deal was made about the Sun coming out for Labour at the start of the 1997 campaign but it had been clear for years that Labour would win the next election, it was just a question of the size of the majority (a decent win under Smith, or a landslide win under Blair). 'The Sun Wot Won It' from 1992 was the biggest pile of bull I've ever heard. It didn't take tabloid scare stories to tell Tory voters that Kinnock wasn't cut out to be Prime Minister. The opinion polls were so wrong that it allowed the Sun myth to take hold. The Tories were always on course to win in 1992 but the pollsters failed to spot it.

Do it again in paragraphs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not reading alll that. :D

Ok......random...
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Toxic" maybe, but the public are still buying his newspapers and TV news will report what his papers are saying if it's juicy. You're not telling me any politician will turn their nose up at a few good stories and a trashing of their rivals. No way, don't believe it!
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Well, the consensus so far seems to be that most have no more clue than I as to what Cameron was supposed to do to help Murdoch after the hacking scandal.
    skp20040 wrote: »
    it was said many years ago that he wanted to bring down the Monarchy.
    Really? I never heard about this. Why did he want to bring the monarchy down and does he still want to bring them down?