The "Where is my BBC Regional News and EastEnders?" Thread

Comments

• Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeisyou wrote: »
    why cant they put the regional news on iplayer?

It is on iplayer.

Every region, every night.

Little old ladies don't do computers.

Why should they?
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeisyou wrote: »
    why cant they put the regional news on iplayer?

If you mean instead of interrupting that tennis match, then remember that not everyone has the internet. If you have to go on to the internet you might as well just go to the usual local regional news websites and read what you want.
  • Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    Can I just explain about the issue and it is purely down to HD which is why BBC are unable to show regional news here in England, in Scotland and Wales they have their own versions of BBC One and Two HD as does forgive me if I'm wrong Ireland?.

Whereas here in England it is the same situation as with BBC One and BBC One do not show the England regions in HD although what about London as I know sometimes BBC One HD sometimes show London news and other times just the caption apologising and telling us to change over to BBC One.

But BBC Two are unable to do that with the situation being that they are not regional here in England, so as soon as things change and broadcasting centres change to HD the better.

Hope I have explained that well.
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Surely it depends on how large an audience they've built. If they estimate an exceptionally large audience for an ongoing event, then let inertia and conservatism prevail? A given?

If they are chasing for ratings, then why? BBC are not a commercial broadcaster like ITV who need ratings to attract and please advertisers.

The BBC could put the tennis on any of their channels as its available across the UK on any platform. It's not impossible to stick the tennis on BBC TWO. The same viewers who understand the '2' button will switch over to follow the tennis. There was a schedule in place on BBC TWO from 17:50-21:00 to show the tennis.

All this placing it on BBC one annoys people who have set their PVR. Even the ones who PVR the tennis and finding that what they recorded isn't what they wanted.

Also BBC iPlayer is an excuse the BBC will throw but its useless to those who don't have the Internet. There are areas of the UK that don't have broadband/4G/3G.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Regional news in NI and England starting now on BBC 1.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Hi! All
    Can I just explain about the issue and it is purely down to HD which is why BBC are unable to show regional news here in England, in Scotland and Wales they have their own versions of BBC One and Two HD as does forgive me if I'm wrong Ireland?.

Whereas here in England it is the same situation as with BBC One and BBC One do not show the England regions in HD although what about London as I know sometimes BBC One HD sometimes show London news and other times just the caption apologising and telling us to change over to BBC One.

But BBC Two are unable to do that with the situation being that they are not regional here in England, so as soon as things change and broadcasting centres change to HD the better.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with HD.
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »

As expected and on BBC one Wales now is Fake Britain.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All

I wrote earlier, the regional news in Scotland was only on BBC2 Scotland (i.e. SD). Fortunately Glasgow have not got their hands on BBC2 HD.
  • AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunhillpc1 wrote: »

Well it wouldn't have been very good if they'd shown a repeat originally only shown in Wales instead.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    djonshore wrote: »
    If they are chasing for ratings, then why? BBC are not a commercial broadcaster like ITV who need ratings to attract and please advertisers.

The BBC could put the tennis on any of their channels as its available across the UK on any platform. It's not impossible to stick the tennis on BBC TWO. The same viewers who understand the '2' button will switch over to follow the tennis. There was a schedule in place on BBC TWO from 17:50-21:00 to show the tennis.

All this placing it on BBC one annoys people who have set their PVR. Even the ones who PVR the tennis and finding that what they recorded isn't what they wanted.

Also BBC iPlayer is an excuse the BBC will throw but its useless to those who don't have the Internet. There are areas of the UK that don't have broadband/4G/3G.

You dirty rotter.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....the issue ... it is purely down to HD which is why BBC are unable to show regional news here in England, in Scotland and Wales they have their own versions of BBC One and Two HD as does forgive me if I'm wrong Ireland?.

The way it is configured means that BBC1 (SD) can have variations in each region, which includes
    • all the English regions and sub-regions
    • London
    • Scotland, Wales and NI.

These all happen on DTT, D-SAT and cable.

BBC1 (HD) only varies by nation, that is:
      England (which does
    not carry London regional prgrammes)
      Scotland
      Wales
      Northern Ireland
    :) These are all available on DTT (DVB-T2), D-SAT and (hopefully) cable.
    But BBC Two are unable to do that with the situation being that they are not regional here in England, so as soon as things change and broadcasting centres change to HD the better..

BBC2 currently has varients in SD for each nation, whicha re available on all the platforms. For HD there's only a single version of BBC2, this is the same as the SD version in England. The BBC have announced :( that they plan to phase out variotions on BBC2, moving Scottish, Welsh and NI content to BBC1.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they persist with the situation like tonight & add stuff from the BBC TWO Nations onto the BBC ONE Nations as well, how the hell will they find room for everything they want to show?

Surely more network stuff must move to 'National' BBC TWO?

(And perhaps some rights holders should stop insisting their events go on BBC ONE & make do with TWO, THREE & FOUR instead! They are just as bad as BBC schedulers.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    If they persist with the situation like tonight & add stuff from the BBC TWO Nations onto the BBC ONE Nations as well, how the hell will they find room for everything they want to show?

It is a pretty daft idea, one that propably won't survive a fresh round of devolution politics fuelled by the Scottish referendum.

It really is time that the BBC came out with a strategy that they're confident enough to test with public opinion.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    It is a pretty daft idea, one that propably won't survive a fresh round of devolution politics fuelled by the Scottish referendum.

It really is time that the BBC came out with a strategy that they're confident enough to test with public opinion.

If the Scottish referendum means Scottish independence, then the BBC wont have automatic broadcasting rights in Scotland anymore! So Soctland will have to sort itself out with a new setup just like every other foregn country, meaning things like Wimbledon will have seperate rights in Scotland!
    It would also mean Andy Murry would have to decide who he is playing for then and I think the answer would be Soctland only!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    (And perhaps some rights holders should stop insisting their events go on BBC ONE & make do with TWO, THREE & FOUR instead! They are just as bad as BBC schedulers.)

I don't believe that the BBC is obliged by its contracts for the rights to Wimbledon to show matches involving prominent British tennis players, e.g. Andy Murray, on BBC 1.

I recall reading somewhere that the BBC regards BBC 1 as the place to be to see important national events, e.g. elections, royal weddings, the funerals of royals and other prominent public figures, e.g. Margaret Thatcher, Wimbledon matches involving Murray, because BBC 1 is the main BBC channel.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    Well, the BBC was justified in its decision last night. Murray's match had 7m viewers at 17:55 last night, rising to a peak of 10m viewers at 19:10.

...and people wanted this to go to BBC Two? Er...no!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we be able to watch Look East tonight and other local news?
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Every year the same discussion! :p I still don't understand why the BBC doesn't train the (as they think) thick British public to press 2 or 102 to watch important events. Are we still in the BBC1 and ITV on 405 lines, BBC2 on wow 625 lines UHF era with limited coverage? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we be able to watch Look East tonight .....

If not, I can give you an outline of the script if you like. It never varies that much.......
    :yawn: Smething happened in Milton Keynes, don't know what.... will be boring, even if in MK. MK things ted to be that way.

:)Norwich is wonderful, nothing bad ever happens there. The traffic flows beautifully and there are fowers.

:eek: There was a traffic jam in Cambridge, but a start-up techno firm will come and fix it. CEO talks share price up.

:( In the last 24 hours two hundred people hve been murdered in Essex.

:oCommuters are revolting.

:confused:Sufffolk is somewhere in the region, is it? Oh yes, here's a pretty picture of Southwold, or is it Blakeney? No wait, that's in Norfolk!

:pPeterbough? Is that in the East, or The East Midlands? Not sure, but the Fens and East Anglian? No!... covered by Belmont? What the heck! Nothampton, no... tha't toooo far away, can't be? Anyway, won't they be interested in what goes on in Naaridge?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every year the same discussion! :p I still don't understand why the BBC doesn't train the (as they think) thick British public to press 2 or 102 to watch important events. Are we still in the BBC1 and ITV on 405 lines, BBC2 on wow 625 lines UHF era with limited coverage? :rolleyes:
    How are they supposed to "train" people when, going by the evidence available those people seem unwilling or incapable of pressing one button on the remote? Especially when there is an EPG complete with 7-day views and additional programme information readily to hand (and the two channels in question sit together on that EPG).
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Well, the BBC was justified in its decision last night. Murray's match had 7m viewers at 17:55 last night, rising to a peak of 10m viewers at 19:10.

And of those watching, they couldn't have seen it on BBC2?
    Or maybe....there is also a great raft of non tennis watching viewers who also can't work out how to change channel, and just watch whatever's on BBC1..........

This is just getting silly, what is the red button tennis service for then?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does not bother me that they shuffle the news or tennis between BBC1 and BBC2 but I would like them to keep the EPG correct so everyone knows what is happening. and there is a chance of PVRs finding the programmes if someone has set them to be recorded.
  • epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think they put the 6 on BBC2, then delayed regional news

Which is an improvement on what they did a few years back where in England BBC2 terrestrial only showed the regional news, BBC2 Freeview got BBC London News. This was despite the fact that London could still get terrestrial whereas the North West had gone digital only, so the majority of viewers in the North West had London news only.
  • epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »

Why not give BBC2 the chance to get a record audience?
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    epm-84 wrote: »
    Why not give BBC2 the chance to get a record audience?
    Why move something that had built a strong audience already?