Game Of Thrones Season 4 [US Sun/UK Mon] [NO SPOILERS]

Comments

• AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say so yes.

They proclaim to be equals and brotherhood etc but sold Gendry for gold.

More than enough to make Arya's list!

Ah yes, I forgot that they had actually 'sold' him for gold.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    WTF is going on with Aiden Gillian's accent!
    It's gone from English to Irish in a season!
    I cannot believe the producers and director let this happen and expect us just to not really notice it. Awful.
    I've got say - Littlefinger is ruining a lot of scenes for me at the moment; such a twisted and complex character but Aiden Gillen is making him too much like a panto villain. The accent is ridiculous.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I've got say - Littlefinger is ruining a lot of scenes for me at the moment; such a twisted and complex character but Aiden Gillen is making him too much like a panto villain. The accent is ridiculous.

I got to agree. And the accent is ridiculous sounding. How on earth could they let this happen. What did Gillen say to the director to convince him to change accent? We really need an answer on this.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not actually that surprised by Gillen's accent, I apparently came home from 3 months of uni with a brummie accent.

Besides Davos' accent changes with every SCENE.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    WTF is going on with Aiden Gillian's accent!
    It's gone from English to Irish in a season!
    I cannot believe the producers and director let this happen and expect us just to not really notice it. Awful.

I thought it was Welsh.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    When the choice is:

a) Marry Loras to Cersei with a very low chance of having an heir
    or
    b) Don't marry Loras to Cersei and have him be named Kingsguard with NO chance of having an heir

No middle ages ruler would choose option b. The expected reality of one trumps the expected reality of the other!

I would agree those were the choices a few months ago but not now.

The Lannisters have been severely compromised, not only are they broke but the repercussion of having Joffrey die in front of everybody will be felt.

The knowledge of Cerse/Jamie is known by everybody, that's still going to be an issue if somebody invades as this new King is obviously not a Baratheon.

I would think the Tyrells could make a much better match than Cersei. They will have the link to the throne through Margery, what's the need from their point of view?
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You keep saying this, but it really doesn't https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNQ2TvnkQc
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they are.

Tywin is still Hand of the King, so can name Loras a Kingsguard at any time.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Ok this may sound like a stupid question and yeah I'm sure it's probably been explained and I've just missed it but what exactly is the 3 eyed raven that Bran etc are looking for all about?

I assume it's going to somehow help him with his developing warg powers or something? Why exactly are they so desperate to find it above and beyond anything else?

Secondly if he is so keen to see this talking multiple eyed raven, can he not just warg into the raven and get it to fly to him ? Seems an awful lot easier than a crippled boy going the other way. :D

As I say probably silly questions but it's been bugging me.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Ok this may sound like a stupid question and yeah I'm sure it's probably been explained and I've just missed it but what exactly is the 3 eyed raven that Bran etc are looking for all about?

I assume it's going to somehow help him with his developing warg powers or something? Why exactly are they so desperate to find it above and beyond anything else?

Secondly if he is so keen to see this talking multiple eyed raven, can he not just warg into the raven and get it to fly to him ? Seems an awful lot easier than a crippled boy going the other way. :D

As I say probably silly questions but it's been bugging me.

I don't think it's actually a three eyed raven, it's just some vague metaphorical representation like his other dreams were. I don't think they know why they've got to find it, just that it's important for something or other *shrugs*
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Lannisters have been severely compromised, not only are they broke but the repercussion of having Joffrey die in front of everybody will be felt.

The knowledge of Cerse/Jamie is known by everybody, that's still going to be an issue if somebody invades as this new King is obviously not a Baratheon.

I would think the Tyrells could make a much better match than Cersei. They will have the link to the throne through Margery, what's the need from their point of view?

The Tyrells were plotting to marry Sansa to Loris, so Twyin pushed them an alternative since he wanted Sansa for Tyrion. He did threaten Olenna that he would recruit Loris into the Kingsguard unless she agreed so I am guessing it's what the Lannisters want and the Tyrells see the benefit and are going along with it.

Any child of Cersei and Loris will inherit Highgarden and be sibling to the King so there are advantages to both sides.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You keep saying this, but it really doesn't https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNNQ2TvnkQc

Exactly. His accent is the same throughout.
  • Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    When the choice is:

a) Marry Loras to Cersei with a very low chance of having an heir
    or
    b) Don't marry Loras to Cersei and have him be named Kingsguard with NO chance of having an heir

No middle ages ruler would choose option b. The expected reality of one trumps the expected reality of the other!

But there is option c and Oleanna almost certainly knows it - withdraw from alliance with the Lannisters and seek alliance with Stannis. The Lannisters even with the Tyrells clearly aren't strong enough to threaten Stannis, without the Tyrells the whole picture changes..
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    But there is option c and Oleanna almost certainly knows it - withdraw from alliance with the Lannisters and seek alliance with Stannis. The Lannisters even with the Tyrells clearly aren't strong enough to threaten Stannis, without the Tyrells the whole picture changes..

What can Stannis do for the Tyrells?

He's already got a wife so Marge can't marry him to become the Queen.

Plus Stannis would never ally with them as they backed his Younger brother against him.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not actually that surprised by Gillen's accent, I apparently came home from 3 months of uni with a brummie accent.

i would say that considering Liam Cunningham is Irish he does one of the most authentic accents on the show. Sounds like a pretty good north eastern accent to me.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    i would say that considering Liam Cunningham is Irish he does one of the most authentic accents on the show. Sounds like a pretty good north eastern accent to me.

It has just suddenly become VERY ne to me though. Was never as strong before. I've seen a few others comment on it too on various places online.

Just got my tickets for the expo again
  • SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Clip from Tyrions' trial, with a shocking twist that even the book readers didn't see coming. :):):)

Trial Scene
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i must say i agree re aided gillan's acting, he's so hammy

it's ever since his amazing chaos speech - it's like everything he says is some big, deep pronouncement
  • If Bran Stark can possess people, why didn't he do that before to free themselves?

Probably a silly question or something I missed, but I just wondered that when I watched it yesterday.
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a silly question at all.

As far as I know Bran's ability to possess people has only happened once, by accident, to Hodor, when he was panicked.

So perhaps the ability is not well enough developed yet to do it at will to anyone.
  • ah ok, thanks that makes sense. :)
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's actually a three eyed raven, it's just some vague metaphorical representation like his other dreams were. I don't think they know why they've got to find it, just that it's important for something or other *shrugs*

I think at one point Bran was told that the Raven was himself. So I guess he has to find himself :D

Dare_Allan wrote: »

The Lannisters are the ones in power and Stannis' army, the last we heard, was routed. Why back the loser?

The Lannister's debt is precisely why they need the Tyrells to bail them out which gives the Tyrell's leverage to capitalize on the power of the most infulential and powerful house in Westeros. Besides, I'm sure Olenna can always do Cersei in the same way she did Joffrey if she needs Loras to marry someone else later :D
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joystick wrote: »
    If Bran Stark can possess people, why didn't he do that before to free themselves?

Probably a silly question or something I missed, but I just wondered that when I watched it yesterday.
    Not a silly question at all.

As far as I know Bran's ability to possess people has only happened once, by accident, to Hodor, when he was panicked.

So perhaps the ability is not well enough developed yet to do it at will to anyone.

I had put it down to Hodor being a simpleton and that's why he was easy to take control of. Maybe, as above, when he develops a bit more he can control others too.
  • patchcatpatchcat Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    We are now 5 episodes into series 4... where is Gendry? and where is Theon's sister who was coming to rescue him?