Options

Dr Strange

MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
Forum Member
It seems like Dr Strange is gathering pace after the announcent of Scott Derickson as director. Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch are on Marvel wanted cast list for this film!

This is going to be an interesting new direction for Marvel with the supernatural elements in Dr Strange.

Comments

• Options
    DC1983DC1983 Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking the other day how great it would be to see Benedict Cumberbatch in a Marvel movie. He is such a versatile actor and I am sure he will do a great job if he gets the part, as will Tom Hardy, who is also great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I'd like to see Cumberbatch do something like this; I think he's a really versatile Actor who gets a bit pigeonholed sometimes, so it would be good to see him in something very different that, hopefully, quite a wide audience would see.
    I don't always enjoy Tom Hardy's acting for some reason, but there's no doubt that he's very talented.
    Should be worth a watch if it goes ahead.
  • Options
    RonSwanson92RonSwanson92 Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would much rather Tom Hardy over Benedict Cumberpatch, who I find very overrated, for the role of Stephen Strange.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    This is going to be an interesting new direction for Marvel with the supernatural elements in Dr Strange.
    All very PG-friendly though?

As for the role, there are reports that Jared Leto is being considered.

Hardy ? Dunno, but he's also the new Mad Max and, IIRC, headlining the Splinter Cell franchise (if it ever gets off the ground).
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardy as doctor strange?...I cant see it.
    I think Jonny depp would be perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Johnny Depp and Jared Leto were both linked to Dr Strange a while back but I don't know if they are still in the running for it!
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they adopt a magical style like the Harry Potter films. With this, I mean like when spells are cast you just see them rather than the 'Great Soprendo' "Salazim Salazee By the Great Eye Of Wazoo" theatrics that have been used in the comics and TV adaptations.

Something like Dumbledore in 'Order Of The Phoenix' when he's battling Voldemort. He just uses his powers to fight and doesn't need to say any silly incantations because he's THAT good.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it looks like Joaquin Phoenix is the front runner to be announced as Marvel's Dr Strange. I honestly do not know if this is inspired casting or a train wreck in waiting.

Personally i think Joaquin Phoenix is an inspired choice as he's an excellent actor, but he's known to be anti big studio/corporations which is why he does so many indie movies. He's known to be awkward, doesn't like doing promo, doesn't like giving interviews/being interviewed, any of the hype that goes with promoting films. He prefers to let the work speak for itself so i'm just wondering how he's going to fit into all this because he's going to be front and centre of the entire thing.

Certainly going to be interesting because he'll be signing his life away for the next few years as Dr Strange. Hope Marvel know what they're doing! Lol.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Peter Hooten? He'd be brilliant . . . oh, wait . . . .:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit unsure about the whole rumour of Joaquin Phoenix being cast as Dr Strange as the previous poster said this could be a disaster waiting to happen.I could see him doing one film but I can't see him being happy doing sequels or Avengers films which makes no sense casting him if that's the case!

He is a great actor but the wrong choice for Dr Strange for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    As predictable as it may be, I think Doctor Strange is the one and only Marvel Character I'd quite like to see Johnny Depp play.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Hardy as doctor strange?...I cant see it.
    I think Jonny depp would be perfect.

God, no. Please, no. He would be the WORST possible choice. So annoying. As for Joaquin Phoenix... I think it's a bad idea as he's notoriously difficult and Marvel keeps their actors and directors on a short leash as it is. This won't end well.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew Modine has apparently been campaigning to get himself cast, commissioning images of himself in the role and sending them to Marvel... Empire had a piece about it a month or two ago, though it doesn't seem to be on their online edition...

Johnny Depp would be too "on the nose" for me, though I can't quite see Tom Hardy or Benedict Cumberbatch in the role either... Marvel do make good choices though, whoever they pick will be interesting at the very least...
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Johnny Depp would be too "on the nose" for me, though I can't quite see Tom Hardy or Benedict Cumberbatch in the role either... Marvel do make good choices though, whoever they pick will be interesting at the very least...
    Agree about Depp, and he already has other franchise interests at present. We're getting more Alice & Pirates, and Mortdecai looks like yet another lightweight 'quirky character' series in the offing. The trailer for it is awful.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe Joaquin Phoenix as Dr. Strange will happen. He's allergic to sequels and Marvel is allergic to a single-film contract. It's a deadlock.

Not only that, as much as I respect Phoenix and all, I don't think he can pull it off. I've never seen him in a fantasy film. Well, that's unless you count films like Space Camp and Signs. And that cartoon film about bears.

I just can't see it. He's not exactly suave, is he? Same with Tom Hardy, actually. Maybe they could pull a Heath Ledger and surprise us all, but I'm still remembering Edward Norton as the Incredible Hulk. It was a bad date I wanted to forget in a hurry.

As for Johnny Depp? Benedict Cumberbatch? I'd rather Marvel have Michael Cera as Strange.

I liked someone's suggestion a while ago - Aidan Gillen. Suave, witty and plausible enough to pull it off. Shame that he's still too much of an unknown, though. Too short, too. Strange is something like 6ft 4 inches tall, right?
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matthew Modine has apparently been campaigning to get himself cast, commissioning images of himself in the role and sending them to Marvel...

That would be spectacularly bad. Modine`s lost it big-time with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been announced Dr Strange has been given a release date of July 2016. Filming begins May next year.

With this set it's looking very likely Joaquin Phoenix has this in the bag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is only a rumoured release date at the moment as nothing has been confirmed by Marvel yet.However DS seem to be reporting it like its been officially confirmed even if it will properly be correct!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joaquin Phoenix is now out as Dr Strange. Back to the drawing board for Marvel to find a lead actor who will feel comfortable acting in front of a green screen for the majority of the movie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I'm glad to hear that he is out as I thought it would have been a bad choice for Dr Strange!

If he had got the part I could see him doing the first film but causing problems about doing sequels and Avengers films which is properly the reason why he dropped out!

I liked the Ethan Hawke rumour even though that was confirmed to be false!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ewan McGregor as well as few other actors have been linked to the role of Dr Strange in latest reports!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put me down for Robert Knepper or Joseph Fiennes.

Can't call it between them as Knepper would have that slightly harsh streak and slight gauntness the good Doctor has always had, while Fiennes would have the neccessary Shakespearean gravitas to carry off 'By the hoary hosts of Hoggoth' etc
    (if he had that angle, I'd say yep to Depp, but he doesn't).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really are having difficulty casting this lead aren't they! They really need to find an actor with some serious gravitas. Proving difficult to find i reckon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    I liked the Ethan Hawke rumour even though that was confirmed to be false!

That's a shame. He's been my number one choice since they announced the film
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah they do seem to having difficulty casting Dr Strange but I suppose it's good that they are taking their time to find the right actor for the part.Although with a planned release date for 2016 they need to find someone soon as they need to start filming!