Scott Walker Appreciation

crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Love him, evocative and creative!

Like his early baroque pop albums and his more avant-garde stuff, he has an amazing voice! *.*

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the greatest voices in pop music history. A shame we don't get male singers of this quality any more.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Ah, Scott Walker, possibly the greatest male voice ever to record. Sadly, that was along, long time ago. Much as I love his classic works, I feel that he's wasted his magnificent talent for the past forty years.

Sure, record experimental stuff in his own time. But, Walker was a man who could have sung the world's greatest ballads, guaranteed global hit after hit, and a career like that of Tom Jones. But he chose not to bother. :(
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see some fans. :)

His ballads are fantastic but I also am really enjoying his more experimental works as well, his voice is really suited to that as well. I'm kinda happy that he decided to do something different.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    crazymonk wrote: »
    Nice to see some fans. :)

His ballads are fantastic but I also am really enjoying his more experimental works as well, his voice is really suited to that as well. I'm kinda happy that he decided to do something different.

But why couldn't he do both? Surely, he could've recorded some of the best ballads of the past 35 years, and knocked out his experimental stuff. BTW, my main gripe with the latter is that so much of it has no melody, no hook, nothing resembling a good song. Experimenting is fine, but if the results of that experiment are sub (his own high) standard...
  • rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    According to Pitchfork Scott and Sunn O ))) are collaborating on a new album to be released this year. For me the albums Scott 1 to 4 are wonderfully arranged, some great songs, some filler and that voice but he became even more interesting with the release of The Electrician which I suspect he believes is when his career began. I love Hunter of Climate and Tilt where you still have recognisable songs such as the beautiful Farmer in the City.