• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Morning after pill?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    oldcrakpot wrote: »
    I find it incredible some of the replies suggest "do not worry the odds /statistics/chances are low do not worry" the point is he should feel very worried his life is at stake and should do something about it some one suggested the odds of infection were reduced by 98% what's the odds for being in the 2%
    Stop being nice and tell the truth

I read its very unlikely to be involved in a fatal car accident wearing a kilt so working on probability perhaps I should wear one

I don't think anyone has told him not to get tested, just pointed out the statistical facts involved rather than scaremongering like you.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning after pill?

Somehow I doubt Dan is likely to get pregnant :D..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

Oops well it is my standard answer as they work up to three days or so.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone has told him not to get tested, just pointed out the statistical facts involved rather than scaremongering like you.
    I have to confess that I didn't read the original post properly either :D

I was going to suggest mending the condom with gaffa tape.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    You could always try and return them to boots. It seems to work with suntan lotion.

Not the defective one :o
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Arnie did in that film Junior. So any things possible
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    At least the guy was willing in using protection and carrying it with him also!
    This has probably happened to most us girls as some time in our life, or sex without protection. It is good to see you are concerned though. You sound very sensible and mature but unless you catch pregnant just by looking at someone I think you should be okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mistygal wrote: »
    This has probably happened to most us girls as some time in our life, or sex without protection. It is good to see you are concerned though. You sound very sensible and mature but unless you catch pregnant just by looking at someone I think you should be okay.

It was two guys !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    It's easy for me to say this, but try not to worry too much!

As the condom split you may be able to get PEP - either a GUM clinic or A&E would assess your risk and explain the benefits/potential risks of treatment leaving it up to you as to whether you go ahead with it.

Even if the guy was HIV+, which seems unlikely as he was previously negative but obviously is still possible, the rate of transmission from an HIV+ person is still low, except in the initial stages of infection. For example, if someone who didn't have HIV was stabbed with a needle that had been used by someone with HIV, their chance of contracting HIV would be 1 in 300.

I don't know if you've heard about the window period with regards to HIV testing? In the past it was recommended people wait 3 months before having an HIV test. Nowadays the test can be done earlier, at around 6 weeks to 2 months, and is highly reliable at this time frame, but people are often asked to take another test around 3 months to be completely sure. Rapid testing is available at some GUM clinics so you can get a result on the same day (usually around 30 minutes later) which saves the anxiety of waiting a week for a test result.

If it turned out the HIV test was positive, the treatment is much simpler than it used to be. Most people can live long, normal lives often on just one or two medications a day.

Overall though, I think your risk is fairly small and you should try not to panic too much, but definitely get tested so you can put your mind at rest. I hope that helps!

EDIT - just seen this was a week ago and so PEP would no longer be an option
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mistygal wrote: »

I am normally against giving any kind of medical advice on these forums here.

But in this case, I am comfortable assuring Dan that he will not be pregnant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Your chance of contracting HIV is reduced by something like 98% if there's no ejaculation. Okay, not impossible, but really - not worth worrying about in conjunction with the fact that there are only around 5,000-10,000 people in the UK with HIV (in a population of 70 million).

It's just not *that* common.

You're more likely to have caught chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes or just about anything else.

Either way, obviously you want to get yourself to a clinic to be on the safe side - but try not to worry.

I don't want to worry you at all, but your numbers are way off.

In 2012, 6,360 people were newly diagnosed with HIV in the UK

see this link for more up to date accurate information and go and get yourself tested.

http://www.nat.org.uk/HIV-Facts/Statistics/Latest-UK-Statistics.aspx
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And of course that old saying 'one up the bum, no harm done' is completely wrong.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    And of course that old saying 'one up the bum, no harm done' is completely wrong.

Well only from the late 70's onwards
  • Options
    Forum Member

Lowering the tone :)
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lowering the tone :)

But a fact none the less.......
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one who actually is seriously going to have anal sex would say that saying, they like this poster know more about it than people who make up unfunny sayings, they take responsibility for their bodies before they engage in it.

Only people who know nothing about biology and how the rectum is usually 2 or 3 inches bigger than a penis so a penis can more than easily fit inside and that the prostate is located there so with anal sex the receiver gets continuous pleasure just like with vaginal sex, would make out anal sex some sort of dangerous thing to do.

STI's can affect men and women, straight and gay it's nothing to do with the bum, it's down to one thing - the person's personal health. If people want to do it, then it's their choice but I can certainly see the logical reasons they'd want to do it because biologically it causes pleasure for both involved.

It's 2014, I don't have time to pretend that any form of sex between two adults is somehow wrong. Sexual education will work if it's based on knowledge not rhyming sayings, no wonder people get themselves into such bother when it comes to sex.