BBC2 The Honourable Woman Thursdays from July 3rd

Comments

• RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Fwiw, I have to re-watch before forming a view on this.

Atm, it seems reasonably clear the stone factory was this weeks taxi journey. Whatever else it is, it's intentional.

It seems Blick likes a particular structure, perhaps one that involves almost independent vignettes through which the story flows. Maybe these are of a somewhat surreal bent - I might be pushing it but perhaps even with shades of Samual Beckett.

I wonder if that general, theatre-based, slightly absurdist sensibility is also the key to the character of, at least, Hugh.

The only thing I feel sure about is Blick wants us to really work for it; as David Simon famously once said 'who needs casual viewers, *uc* casual viewers'

Anyway, going to see it again before firming up any thoughts ...

On the other hand, it could just be a pretentious load of old rubbish.
    I do get a sense of the Emperor's New Clothes about this, there's a kind of reverence for Blick that I find questionable. I've tried, I was going to give up after episode one, but I watched it again and then continued with the next two episodes. I probably wouldn't have bothered if it had been some practically unknown writer. But that's the problem as far as I'm concerned. It's not that complicated, it's not terribly exciting, the acting (with a few exceptions) is mediocre. I'm left asking myself, is it really any good ?
    I've got to the point where if it was suddenly cancelled, I wouldn't much care. I'll stick with it because of the time I've already invested, but that's not a glowing tribute to the writer, is it ?
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    David Simon had you nailed, Mr Blue.

I would entertain that general view if (a) Blick didn't demonstrably know his craft (b) BBC Drama generally have a very good idea of what day of the week it is, and (c) this small screen work hadn't drawn this quality of cast (inc. Hollywood). The presumption, until proven otherwise, has to be they collectively know what they're about.
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Loolabelle wrote: »
    I do however feel that Maggie Gyllenhaal is hamming it up too much like some kind of silent film actress!

Ha, I know what you mean! But part of that is the character. She's playing an "actress" who is manipulative and lying almost constantly, but not very convincingly much of the time. She's also a messed up wreck who is actually not very likeable at this juncture with her character's cracks showing (to the audience, at least).
    Forum Member
    Given her exchange by the lift with the nurse and her betrayal of Bloom (the man who saved her life), maybe Nesse is some kind of socio/psychopath.

We've had enough hints of how 'dead' or 'cold' she can be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Nessa's PA told Bloom specifically that their employer couldn't be traced...Until that point she referred to 'She'...Maybe neither work (in his case worked) for Nessa?

Karim is Nessa's son...she is a Palestinian sympathiser, hence the phase three contract. In the kidnap, no marks on her, lots on Akita. She wasn't raped...she had sex with her captor.

maybe she didn't like her father; she doesn't go to his grave does she? She went to her mothers. She didn't react when he was murdered.

Any advance? It had better not be pensions..
  • CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding her tiresome! All cool as a cucumber dealing with business , schoolgirl giggles with the bodyguard..... almost a sitting on daddy's knee position ,then weeping and wailing like a kid to Atika .
    I do think Kasim is her son tho.Is burned face man going to be the father?
    More interested in what Monica was meaning when she whispered to Ephra that his secret was safe .Don't think it's the same one as Nessa's somehow.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this. The pacing in this reminds me of True Detective a little - Blick is going at his pace to reveal this story but I am enjoying the intriguing nature of it.

Judging by the info on the TV guide next week, episode 4 seems to be a prequel to the main story. Hope it lives up to the past 3 episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Nessa and Atika meet for the first time 8yrs ago and my RT guide says" difficult to watch" so ..... ?
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 eps in, I discover that Rachel is Jen from The IT Crowd. I even thought, Oh she sounds like that woman from The IT Crowd, without realising it was her :blush:. That's been the biggest shock of all so far with THW. But, Katherine Parkinson for Actor of the Year!

I'm still hanging on in there with this series. But as the red herrings, speak-in-riddles dialogue and Significant Looks pile up, I have a nagging feeling that it's going the way of many smartypants dramas recently, and leading up to a big fat letdown in the final episode.

I don't know Hugo Blick, didn't watch The Shadow Line, so maybe he's an exception and there'll be an ingenious, moving, surprising denouement. I really hope so.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,163
    Forum Member
    Casmana wrote: »
    Cannot understand people who want to opt out as early on as episode two .
    :(
    Surely the whole point of a drama like this is for it to tease backwards and forwards inducing an audience who are willing to watch a plot enfold gradually into speculation and finally anticipating a finale worthy of time spent .

I suffered through two episodes, and the reason that I gave up is that I didn't really care what happened to any of them. I can't understand what all the fuss is about because to me it is just a total pretentious bore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then we shall expect no further comments from you ? ;-)
    Bet you wish you'd watched episode three now tho ? :D
  • JulieePJulieeP Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    This might be a silly question, but does no part of the DNA indicate the gender of its owner, or is it one of those cases where they would just be looking at a certain aspect of the DNA, and therefore wouldn't notice the discrepancy?
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    I see people are still discussing who Kassim's mother is. I guess I haven't been paying proper attention as I thought in the last episode Atika told Ephra and his wife that she (Atika) was Kassim's mother. Maybe I misunderstood.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loolabelle wrote: »
    I do however feel that Maggie Gyllenhaal is hamming it up too much like some kind of silent film actress!

The turning away like she's Clara Bow thing always happens under stress, she looks for a wall or failing that anything solid to stop her 'seeing' or having to address someone/thing. Presumably its either a post traumatic reaction to her father's death - where she was frozen in shock or something to do with Gaza 8 years ago.
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    The Turk wrote: »
    I see people are still discussing who Kassim's mother is. I guess I haven't been paying proper attention as I thought in the last episode Atika told Ephra and his wife that she (Atika) was Kassim's mother. Maybe I misunderstood.

She did, but she may not be telling the truth. Although the matter of who is father is is really more pressing at this juncture-to be revealed next episode, I expect.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve P wrote: »
    Nessa's PA told Bloom specifically that their employer couldn't be traced...Until that point she referred to 'She'...Maybe neither work (in his case worked) for Nessa?

Karim is Nessa's son...she is a Palestinian sympathiser, hence the phase three contract. In the kidnap, no marks on her, lots on Akita. She wasn't raped...she had sex with her captor.

maybe she didn't like her father; she doesn't go to his grave does she? She went to her mothers. She didn't react when he was murdered.

Any advance? It had better not be pensions..
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I thought it was interesting that Genevieve O'Reilly said 'our employer' when talking to the bodyguard in the lift. Makes me think they weren't really working for Maggie. They said 'her' a few times but not at that point.

Seems we both noticed the same thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Andy-B wrote: »

Anyway, going to see it again before firming up any thoughts ...

Using management speak in a forum should be banned; and followed up with being forced to get the brews in.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulieeP wrote: »
    This might be a silly question, but does no part of the DNA indicate the gender of its owner, or is it one of those cases where they would just be looking at a certain aspect of the DNA, and therefore wouldn't notice the discrepancy?

I think there are specific markers within DNA which are used to determine paternity. However I do wonder whether there was some other, as yet unrevealed, significance to the DNA test as I'm sure the police chief said there was no DNA evidence of the father - not of Ephra's DNA, but of the father's DNA.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would be able to compare the Y chromosome from Kasim's DNA with the Y chromosome of a possible father (e.g. Ephra), if they had actually got any of Kasim's DNA. Also they should easily be able to tell that the DNA they got from the toothbrush was not Kasim's because it wouldn't have a Y chromosome. So I didn't get why they didn't press harder for something with Kasim's DNA on it, instead of just asking if there was a hairbrush or anything in / on his bed and getting a no. Surely there would be loads of things in the house that they could try. A used plaster or tissue on the floor of his room? A pair of gloves in his coat pocket? A comb?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    They would be able to compare the Y chromosome from Kasim's DNA with the Y chromosome of a possible father (e.g. Ephra), if they had actually got any of Kasim's DNA. Also they should easily be able to tell that the DNA they got from the toothbrush was not Kasim's because it wouldn't have a Y chromosome. So I didn't get why they didn't press harder for something with Kasim's DNA on it, instead of just asking if there was a hairbrush or anything in / on his bed and getting a no. Surely there would be loads of things in the house that they could try. A used plaster or tissue on the floor of his room? A pair of gloves in his coat pocket? A comb?

Wasn't there a scene where Ephra walked into Kasim's bedroom and found Atika cleaning it? She said something like "I can't stop", but with hindsight we could infer that she was deliberately removing all traces of Kasim's DNA.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    I don't know Hugo Blick, didn't watch The Shadow Line.....

Some of his earlier work is the exquisite Sensitive Skin with Joanna Lumley. Both series are on DVD and I highly recommend them.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot believe I am saying this, but I am quite bored with the programme. My problem is that I find none of the characters engaging or sympathetic. The writing and production is stultifying to the point of complete inertia. And I thought the snogging scene in the hospital between Bloom and Nessa was stomach churning. What a slag:o
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casmana wrote: »
    Cannot understand people who want to opt out as early on as episode two .
    :(
    Surely the whole point of a drama like this is for it to tease backwards and forwards inducing an audience who are willing to watch a plot enfold gradually into speculation and finally anticipating a finale worthy of time spent .

Yes, ideally. You also have to create some interest and sympathy for at least one of the characters.
    I love Maggie Gyllenhaal but I must admit I'm losing interest in her character. Not to mention the others!
    It's fine to be 'clever'... but do it well.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe I am saying this, but I am quite bored with the programme. My problem is that I find none of the characters engaging or sympathetic. The writing and production is stultifying to the point of complete inertia. And I thought the snogging scene in the hospital between Bloom and Nessa was stomach churning. What a slag:o

That's one of the problems I have with the series. There's deep and mysterious and there's just plain dull. Nessa falls into the latter category to me. Ephra is the same, but while not wishing to be cruel, Andrew Buchan has not been blessed with a very expressive face.
    The rest of the cast are doing a stalwart job, and Stephen Rea could make a reading of the shipping forcast sound interesting. But I do find the casting of brother and sister Stein could have been better.
    Forum Member
    I thought it only became stomach churning when we realised she was totally, coldly playing him, and he thought she was for real.

Of course she was trying to save him but at the same time she was willing to let him be killed.

It's the moment we were told Nessa is psychotic, and the woman of the title is Atika.