writing a book while on income support - allowed by the DWP?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
Forum Member
✭✭✭
JK Rowling did it - but that was quite some time ago. Is it allowed? Maybe like studying, if you do under a certain hours a week of writing, it's allowed? Anybody done it? Will be back some time to check for any replies.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Who would know?
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Dolls wrote: »
    JK Rowling did it - but that was quite some time ago. Is it allowed? Maybe like studying, if you do under a certain hours a week of writing, it's allowed? Anybody done it? Will be back some time to check for any replies.

Don't tell them. It's not as if you are earning money from doing it. Once you are a successful and published author...well, that's different!

You will have to show evidence of 'actively seeking work' and take up a job offer if you get one though.
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should it be any problem? As long as you're still looking for work and aren't making any money from it then you're not doing anything wrong.:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't tell them. It's not as if you are earning money from doing it. Once you are a successful and published author...well, that's different!

You will have to show evidence of 'actively seeking work' and take up a job offer if you get one though.
    Why should it be any problem? As long as you're still looking for work and aren't making any money from it then you're not doing anything wrong.:confused:

I thought that people who are on income support are already working, and it is a supplement to their wages. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would know?

they'd find out if you successfully sold your book and due to that left benefits, I suppose (maybe) - and then might rightfully say you're a benefit cheat, if it's against the rules.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they'd find out if you successfully sold your book and due to that left benefits, I suppose (maybe) - and then might rightfully say you're a benefit cheat, if it's against the rules.

You were not earning from the book, whilst on income support.
    As soon as you would get it accepted for publication, and have made money from it, you would have to notify them. That is how I see it anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    I thought that people who are on income support are already working, and it is a supplement to their wages. :confused:

this is advice I'm looking for for a friend who is on income support due to illness. They are now somewhat better than they were, (which they have told the DWP about), but still ill, but have some well times a week, and they want to do something to get back into working independence. A book might help them get clients in the future, and is something they can do from home to work around their health problems.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Not if you used someone elses name.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's allowed as long as you aren't making money off it.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    this is advice I'm looking for for a friend who is on income support due to illness. They are now somewhat better than they were, (which they have told the DWP about), but still ill, but have some well times a week, and they want to do something to get back into working independence. A book might help them get clients in the future, and is something they can do from home to work around their health problems.

What kind of book are they going to write?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the thing with being on income support due to illness is, you have to be what they judge is ill enough to get it, and how they judge that is what you're doing with your time. Yes, this is a totally genuine case of sickness, but if the rules say if you write a book then you qualify as being well enough to work, then, technically speaking, even if you get no money for doing it, (until you sell your book, and so give up the benefit, that is), then they could say you've been making a false claim. Which is not something my friend wants to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    What kind of book are they going to write?

business related - they used to be self employed.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    business related - they used to be self employed.

It's probably a good idea then.

There would be no issue with income support- tell them to do it.
  • brickiebrickie Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A book might help them get clients in the future, and is something they can do from home to work around their health problems.

And if their book is a best seller and they suddenly become rich enough to live quite comfortably for the rest of their lives from the proceeds, will they then magically find themselves completely better seeing as they wont qualify for or need income support?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brickie wrote: »
    And if their book is a best seller and they suddenly become rich enough to live quite comfortably for the rest of their lives from the proceeds, will they then magically find themselves completely better seeing as they wont qualify for or need income support?:)

they are genuinely ill - but - treatments are helping and their prognosis for recovery is probably good :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbella wrote: »
    It's probably a good idea then.

There would be no issue with income support- tell them to do it.

thanks Barbella. I think it's a good idea or at least, could do no harm and to keep busy as possible would be good for their psychological health which could maybe help their physical recovery (if some theories are to be believed).

thanks for replies folks.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a nasty comment.
  • bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But what if they wrote a book and it didn't sell?

I don't see what would be wrong with doing this so long as it's not like writing an article in a newspaper/magazine etc where you are getting paid.

Once you got published (if you were lucky enough) then you would come off income support because your earnings would be above what you can claim.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member

What a mean spirited and pointless comment. With an added sarcarstic smiley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the friendly comments folks. I appreciate you saying you think it will be okay, and hope you're right - it seems this is a bit of an ambiguous area, as an extensive websearch has come up with nothing.

It would be great if someone read this thread who had done this, but that's a slim chance I guess.

BTW, I just to make it plain for in the future, I'm not going to get into any arguments with anyone on here about my friend - I know they're a genuine and good person, and that's all that matters to me.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you allowed to play cards? Watch TV? Play chess? Browse the internet in the evening?

There is no circumstance, ever, in which you can be banned from writing a book. Writing a book is a hobby that might have a very, very, very slim chance of bringing in earnings at some point in the distant future. If it does bring in money at some point, THEN it needs to be declared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I don't see why you can't. :) I think it would only become a "problem" if you were writing a book instead of going for job interviews or if you made money from the book.

It's no different from reading or going to the library really. :)
  • warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem I can see is if you were writing a book on how to get benefits when you weren't entitled to them and then got it published and it became a best seller.

Even then if you were writing it outside of normal working hours I can't see the problem, being unemployed is a 24 hour thing but you only get money for not working the normal 9 to 5.
  • Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    If the book is about how to con the benefits system, they might object! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not true. Income Support is for people who don't have to be available for work, or for those on a low income working less than 16 hours a week.

OP - writing a book is just a hobby until you earn money from it. There's nothing to stop your friend doing that now as it's not considered work until then. It may even be therapeutic for them. :)