Ready to bake Yorkshire Puddings

littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can’t cook a decent Yorkshire. I was never that fond of those cook in 3 to 4 minutes pre baked ones either, good if you like crispy but I missed the almost soggy centre. I started out with Aunt Bessies 12 pack ready to bake, much better. Then I threw caution to the wind one day and went for the Iceland £1 version. Have to say the latter works very well for me, both in taste and price. Great for cheating in Toad in the Hole, just adding them to oven baked sausages and fried onions. Big bonus, they are excellent with grilled slices of Spam. Basically anything that involves gravy I just feel the need to add some to the meal. I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of them.

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    littlefro wrote: »
    I can’t cook a decent Yorkshire. I was never that fond of those cook in 3 to 4 minutes pre baked ones either, good if you like crispy but I missed the almost soggy centre. I started out with Aunt Bessies 12 pack ready to bake, much better. Then I threw caution to the wind one day and went for the Iceland £1 version. Have to say the latter works very well for me, both in taste and price. Great for cheating in Toad in the Hole, just adding them to oven baked sausages and fried onions. Big bonus, they are excellent with grilled slices of Spam. Basically anything that involves gravy I just feel the need to add some to the meal. I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of them.

I recommend Delia's recipe which I've used in the past: http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-make-yorkshire-pudding.html (and it really is tasty!)

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong at all with prepared Yorkshire puddings (or "popovers" as Ina Garten quaintly calls them) particularly at busy times, e.g. Christmas and New Year.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy Icelands own as well they are ok. I do make my own now and again, but as it is only me, not really worth it most of the time.

the one way to make Yorkshire is to have equal quantities of everything apart from salt in the batter. My mum did it that way after see seen it on TV, a cup of flour, a cup of eggs, a cup of milk. Makes a lovely yorky full of flavour.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I buy Icelands own as well they are ok. I do make my own now and again, but as it is only me, not really worth it most of the time.

the one way to make Yorkshire is to have equal quantities of everything apart from salt in the batter. My mum did it that way after see seen it on TV, a cup of flour, a cup of eggs, a cup of milk. Makes a lovely yorky full of flavour.
    I use Brian Turner's recipe. The same as that one but it's half milk half water.