An abortion debate

oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought we could have a poll to see who here is pro-choice and who is anti-abortion. :)

My personal belief is that abortion is ok. I particularly agree with abortion if scans of the baby suggest it'll be born with physical or learning difficulties. If it was my wife pregnant I'd be pushing for an abortion under those circumstances.

I don't agree with people using abortion as a means of contraception, but that's bound to happen with a minority of cases and I don't think there's any way around that.

Do you support abortion? 449 votes

Yes - under any circumstances the woman wants one
79%
mpk81colin 38Aye UpjackthompaulbrockTobySpsionicmaybePretzelmoongravyGeeg[Deleted User]ikkleosuflagpoleDaisyBumblerootCLL Dodgetiger2000mike1948Bathsheba[Deleted User] 356 votes
In special cases such as rape or if the baby will be disabled
16%
Brian1709jim4bbGrannyGruntbuck[Deleted User]beefybeefzoundsUncle FesterPisces CloudllihpPencilDPSJELLIES0bbking58quatro*Clem*sofieellis[Deleted User]SiriusTalma[Deleted User] 74 votes
No - Under no circumstances should it be done
4%
apwheeler[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]psychedelicmellybumpszackai48YuffiePremium-Onion[Deleted User][Deleted User]scousesirenRogerBaileyKorkyTheCat[Deleted User]mseven1[Deleted User]CitizenofPhobos[Deleted User] 19 votes

Comments

• oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll added.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted yes.

No one is putting this genie back into the bottle.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darren Bent.
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion on abortion is that it should be carried out by a trained professional in a safe and clean environment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oatstie wrote: »
    I particularly agree with abortion if scans of the baby suggest it'll be born with physical or learning difficulties. If it was my wife pregnant I'd be pushing for an abortion under those circumstances.

I don't agree with people using abortion as a means of contraception,
    Just as a form of eugenics then.
  • Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted yes as I cannot think of any reason not to?
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I am pro choice

Gets the popcorn
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In special cases such as rape or if the baby will be disabled
    You are optimistic calling it a debate judging from all the previous threads on this highly emotive subject.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    If you don't agree with abortion, don't have one. But you don't get to make someone else's decision for them.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Poll added.

It should have a "hot potato" option for those of us who can't face up to tackling a classic contentious issue like this once again.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first option is a bit too unlimited - I think it's reasonable to set a term limit after which it's too late to abort for anything other than medical reasons.

Not sure if you meant that proviso to be implied, but other than that, I've no problem letting the mother have the final decision as to whether she goes ahead with the pregnancy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do I take it you have a problem with what I said? Well I stand by it. I think it's wrong bring a child into the world if you know it's going to be born disadvantaged either physically or emotionally. As a parent I wouldn't want to have to deal with the issues that such a disability would present me with either. That's just how I feel and if you disagree that's fine. :)
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it eugenics if it's a personal decision made by one person about her own pregnancy?

Eugenics implies a policy aimed at a population.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yes....
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poll added.

But it does not even include a option to agree with the current law. :rolleyes:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, the regular monthly DS abortion argument ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first option is a bit too unlimited - I think it's reasonable to set a term limit after which it's too late to abort for anything other than medical reasons.

Not sure if you meant that proviso to be implied, but other than that, I've no problem letting the mother have the final decision as to whether she goes ahead with the pregnancy.
    SULLA wrote: »

Just to clarify - the first option is the one you want if you agree with the status quo. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, the regular monthly DS abortion argument ;)

Ahh the regular post stating the obvious ;)
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guess yes encapsulates that. Yes doesn't mean you agree with aborting a baby that's about to be born but hasn't been yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    I guess yes encapsulates that. Yes doesn't mean you agree with aborting a baby that's about to be born but hasn't been yet.

You're correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20,000 children die each and every day from hunger and preventable disease so life is pretty cheap and there is no reason to get all precious about the unborn
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify - the first option is the one you want if you agree with the status quo. :)

Just to clarify. The law does not allow abortion on demand. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to clarify. The law does not allow abortion on demand. :rolleyes:

You're making this needlessly complicated.

If you agree with the current law OR you think the current law should be extended to allow for even later abortions to be carried out then vote 'yes' in the poll. Simples. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ishina wrote: »
    My opinion on abortion is that it should be carried out by a trained professional in a safe and clean environment.
    Absolutely agree, the knitting needle method she be banned.:eek:
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    You're making this needlessly complicated.

If you agree with the current law OR you think the current law should be extended to allow for even later abortions to be carried out then vote 'yes' in the poll. Simples. :)

There is no option to agree with the current law though.