2»

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Can you give any source for this?

I've forwarded the whole thing to Snopes.com.

Something smells more than a little bogus around here.

Burglars don't work in cooperatives or unions, and certainly wouldn't want to help out another competing thief.

There are criminal gangs/rings, though.

There is a practice of one sticking flyers in houses' letter boxes, and another return one or two days later. Any house with flyers still in letter boxes are assumed vacant. He and his partner break into those houses. Same with flyers on parked cars. [edit: Snope seems to determine that the flyers on parked cars is a myth.]

Their ring works through each random area systemically, which probably explains why there are clusters of burglaries in every other area. Anyway, this is a modern variation of the old chalked code system.

I admit I don't see how a sticker on a house works. :confused:
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would a burglar mark up a house for someone else to rob from? How would they know it's a real target and not a wind up?
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    zantarous wrote: »
    Why would a burglar mark up a house for someone else to rob from? How would they know it's a real target and not a wind up?

Or not a stitch up to get someone caught for that matter. Not that people who break into houses are necessarily all that bright, but still...
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    Takae wrote: »
    There are criminal gangs/rings, though.

There is a practice of one sticking flyers in houses' letter boxes, and another return one or two days later. Any house with flyers still in letter boxes are assumed vacant. He and his partner break into those houses. Same with flyers on parked cars. [edit: Snope seems to determine that the flyers on parked cars is a myth.]

Their ring works through each random area systemically, which probably explains why there are clusters of burglaries in every other area. Anyway, this is a modern variation of the old chalked code system.

I admit I don't see how a sticker on a house works. :confused:

Never the less. With these stories it's ALWAYS case of it having happened to 'somebody else'

I might believe it if even just one person on here says it happened personally, to them, but most people are just going on hear-say, even if they know the supposed victim extremely well.

It's just one of those things that seems unsubstantiated, and the moment you try to find any firm foundations the trail dissolves because it was a myth in the first place.

Just for clarity, don't get me wrong, I know houses get burgled by organised gangs working in groups, it's just the stickers and chalk markings all seem far too preposterous.
    zantarous wrote: »
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Or not a stitch up to get someone caught for that matter. Not that people who break into houses are necessarily all that bright, but still...

Well, quite!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It's just one of those things that seems unsubstantiated, and the moment you try to find any firm foundations the trail dissolves because it was a myth in the first place.

Just for clarity, don't get me wrong, I know houses get burgled by organised gangs working in groups, it's just the stickers and chalk markings all seem far too preposterous.

I do know two things: stories about the chalk system were used to demonise gypsies between the 1820s and the 1940s. There were criminal rings/gangs that had been known to use codes in cities during the same period. I think somewhere along the line, those two factors merged.

So I think the frequency of this sort makes it a myth. It had happened, but not as often as we - or rather, I - believe.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I do know two things: stories about the chalk system were used to demonise gypsies between the 1820s and the 1940s. There were criminal rings/gangs that had been known to use codes in cities during the same period. I think somewhere along the line, those two factors merged.

So I think the frequency of this sort makes it a myth. It had happened, but not as often as we - or rather, I - believe.

The more I hear, the more I think that this really deserves a Snopes page :D

As the newspaper is reporting it, it's clearly not accurate.