Options

Neighbours: The begining

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching some videos of the early episodes from the late 80s, and was astonished at just how cheesy and downright dull it was. I watched it all the time as a kid like so many others 25/26 years ago, and we loved it at the time. It got me thinking as to what it was at that time, that beguiled British audiences so much, and made it such a huge hit.

I know that it was a different time then, but it even made Coronation St look like a documentary. I'm not really bashing it as I liked it, and I know that things date, but what do others think the appeal was, and what storylines do you remember from the early years?

Comments

• Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Todd getting run over and Cody getting stabbed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching some videos of the early episodes from the late 80s, and was astonished at just how cheesy and downright dull it was.

Yes i found NeighBORES to be as dull as ditchwater.

Always found Home & Away much more interesting.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the biggest crush on Shane Ramsay. I think that's the only reason I watched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was originally shown in 1986 on BBC1 at lunchtime, when I started watching it was when they started showing it at half five before the news in January 1988. I was annoyed at the time because I think they'd taken off Masterteam/ Rolf Harris Cartoon Time off in order to show it.

I remember a storyline where the first Lucy Robinson went missing, and they ended up finding her stuck in a drain:p

And another where Helen Daniels was kidnapped and put in a car garage or something !
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was originally shown in 1986 on BBC1 at lunchtime, when I started watching it was when they started showing it at half five before the news in January 1988. I was annoyed at the time because I think they'd taken off Masterteam/ Rolf Harris Cartoon Time off in order to show it.

I remember a storyline where the first Lucy Robinson went missing, and they ended up finding her stuck in a drain:p

And another where Helen Daniels was kidnapped and put in a car garage or something !

I still have the original BBC episode of Neighbours which ends with Lucy falling into that drain. She was trying to reach for a kitten and falls in :D

It was cheesy but it was fun cheesy and you liked the characters back then. Jim, Helen, Paul, Scott, Daphne, Des, Mike, Plain Jane, Charlene, Madge etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I still have the original BBC episode of Neighbours which ends with Lucy falling into that drain. She was trying to reach for a kitten and falls in :D

It was cheesy but it was fun cheesy and you liked the characters back then. Jim, Helen, Paul, Scott, Daphne, Des, Mike, Plain Jane, Charlene, Madge etc...

Yes I agree ! how about the storyline where Madge has a massive go at Mrs Mangle and she starts crying, runs indoors and has a heart attack behind the sofa:D not funny but the way it was done had me laughing even at the time.
  • Options
    Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching it and I loved it. I hasten to say I was a teenager at the time! I remember they started showing it at tea time because kids were bunking off school to watch it during the daytime.

I think the reason it was popular was because it was escapism. Australia looked so lovely - always sunny and lovely houses. I think it made emigration popular again. I remember, at the time when it first became popular, watching Jason Donovan on Wogan, and the gasps of amazement from the audience when he said that Ramsey Street was just like any ordinary street in Australia and the houses were bog standard living accommodation. From years of watching Corrie and Eastenders, it looked like paradise to most Brits!
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back then, Neighbours was very funny. The storylines and the characters were good like Helen, Jim, Des, Daphne, Scott, Charlene, Mike, Madge, Mrs Mangel, Jane etc etc. I think it was just escapism to be watch the lives of a friendly neighbourhood in Australia, which seemed a world away to most people. I feel that Neighbours has lost that quirkiness that made it popular all those years ago. Characters come and go but the original characters from back in the day will never be forgotton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of the original cast members went on to greater things, Allan Dale has a Hollywood career, as does Guy Pierce, Anne Charleston still works in TV and on stage. And of course Kylie and Jason have had enormous success in pop and theatre.

My favorite character was Helen, I suspect many people loved her because she represented the warm grandmother figure. It's sad that the actress Anne Haddy died of heart problems. Apparently she suffered with chronic health for years before dying in 1999, and was in and out of hospital all the time.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching some videos of the early episodes from the late 80s, and was astonished at just how cheesy and downright dull it was. I watched it all the time as a kid like so many others 25/26 years ago, and we loved it at the time. It got me thinking as to what it was at that time, that beguiled British audiences so much, and made it such a huge hit.

I know that it was a different time then, but it even made Coronation St look like a documentary. I'm not really bashing it as I liked it, and I know that things date, but what do others think the appeal was, and what storylines do you remember from the early years?
    I remember when Neighbours first started back in 1986. I used to get my Mum to video it while I was at school. I also remember there was a problem with kids who were skiving off school to watch it that the BBC decided to start repeating it at about 5.35 in the evening. It was that popular.

A few months ago I watched a video of the first four episodes and thought it was MUCH better than todays Neighbours.
    I know times change and some people think that anything more than 5 minutes old is...well...old but I still love those early episodes. I don't think of them as slow or dull. I just look at them and think they were the days. Great characters. When one scene changed to another you'd sometimes hear background music and I remember thinking 'Oh my god, I remember that music'.
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember an episode where we saw Henry's bum. I think he was locked out or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Nick! yes I remember the background music too, they used about four of five tunes all the time for various moods :)

I've also heard this story about school kids bunking off to watch it, and that being the reason they decided to show it twice a day. I thought the story was a myth, but maybe not. There's also a tale about the then head of BBC Michael Grade's daughter begging him to put it on later for kids :D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Eileen Clarke was my favourite character. It was a shame Myra de Groot died so young.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember during the first year of my degree, 1988-89, loads of my fellow-residents in halls would make an exodus to the student union room to watch Neighbours on TV at half-past one.

Remember how Jason Donovan was preceded in the role he took over, by an actor who looked very different?

Early characters I remember include Daphne, and Max Ramsay who was quite rough-and-ready but had a heart of gold. And who was that short pretty one with blond curly hair and a round face (I'm thinking 1986/87, and I don't mean Kylie Minogue!).

I remember after one scene in one episode ended, there was a shot that was a little bit out of focus, and looked like two regular female characters were face-to-face and snogging. Then, as the shot came into focus, we saw that one was sitting some way further back from the camera to the one in the foreground, who, from the way they were leaning forward, were partly obscuring the face of the other!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eileen Clarke was my favourite character. It was a shame Myra de Groot died so young.

Did she, what happened to her?

Is the actress who played Mrs Mangel still alive? i should think not, since she must have been 60 plus 25 years ago, but maybe.
  • Options
    funnyonionfunnyonion Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    And who was that short pretty one with blond curly hair and a round face (I'm thinking 1986/87, and I don't mean Kylie Minogue!).

Was that Terri? She lived with the Ramsays, I think, and she was a plumber, she married Paul Robinson but for some reason shot him and then went to prison.

I loved Neightbours in the old days, and it was definitely much funnier. I watched it from the beginning and remember rooting for Des and Daphne to get together. One of the saddest soap moments for me was when Daphne died.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    Did she, what happened to her?

Is the actress who played Mrs Mangel still alive? i should think not, since she must have been 60 plus 25 years ago, but maybe.

Yes Vivean Gray who played Mrs. Mangel is still alive, which surprised me, she will be 90 in July this year.
  • Options
    Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think the funniest bit for me was Daphne managing to give birth on a riverbank without removing her dungarees!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Yes Vivean Gray who played Mrs. Mangel is still alive, which surprised me, she will be 90 in July this year.

wow really? good for her. She's English too apparently, and had a small role as a teacher in 'Picnic at hanging Rock' in 1975.

Mrs Mangel's feud with Madge used to amuse me no end as a kid.

Anyone remember Dr Clive? the one with ginger hair.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my earliest memories is watching Daphne's death at tea time. My next door neighbour (who was my age - about 4) saw the rest of us get upset and started crying her eyes out hysterically, before everyone started laughing. Random memory but one that sticks with me when I think of either being a kid or Neighbours!

The last episode I ever watched was the one when Phil and Hannah left as the new family (Holly Valance) moved in. I knew from then it wasn't for me anymore as the heart of the street (imo) had left.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »

Wow! I feel stupid. I actually laughed when I read Ben_Fisher's question :blush: she looked really old in the show and that was decades ago, although maybe she looked older to me as I was so young then.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    Wow! I feel stupid. I actually laughed when I read Ben_Fisher's question :blush: she looked really old in the show and that was decades ago, although maybe she looked older to me as I was so young then.

I know what you mean, i was surprised she did look old for her age back then, she was 'Only' 62 when she started in Neighbours back in 1986, thought she was about 10 years older.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    You know you've got a good bunch of characters (and writers) when you can randomly take 2 or 3 of them, lock them in a room and find their interactions entertaining.

Jim, Helen, Julie, Paul, Bouncer, Des, Daphne, Madge, Charlene, Scott and Harold

Add the sunshine, the simplicity of neighbours in a street, the catchy 80s theme tune and the exoticism (that it's from all the way in Australia) and you've got winner.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember laughing at Mrs. Mangle's ugly portrait :D
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree with the OP. The old day of Neighbours were great. And the background music was a great part of the show, especially when something sad happened. They used to play some nice tunes that bring back memories when you hear them now.

The first 300 episodes are available on DVD.