The Little Friend - Donna Tartt

The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm halfway through this and was really looking forward to it after The Secret History. Sadly, it's very long winded and slow and I'm not really enjoying it:mad: Has anyone else read this and what did you think?

Comments

• Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Prumeister, I also read The Little Friend after reading, and loving, The Secret History. And sadly, I largely share your feelings about it. I didn't feel wholly negatitve towards it; I enjoyed the parts when the little girl is growing up, with her eccentric old aunts for company. But where I thought it lost its way and became way too bogged down in info we didn't need was when the other characters muscled their way in; the snake charmer and his family. I found those chapters, around the middle of the book, very hard-going indeed. I made it to the end (still feeling annoyingly in the dark about what had actually happened) with a certain amount of relief.
    I think it's a novel which would have benefited from a jolly good prune and some heavy editing, and don't know why these didn't happen.

Sadly, I think that if you've already read a good part of the book (more than just a few chapters) and feel so dissatisfied, it's not going to improve for you. In fact, if you haven't yet read the sections I mentioned, about the snake charming, you might get even more bored than you are already!

For some strange reason I am glad I read it but it's certainly not one I'd rush to read again. Prumeister, as you know it's a long book, and I wouldn't advise you to waste your valuable time continuing reading it if you're just not enjoying it.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Honestly, I'd stop now. The book starts so well, and then my god, I ploughed on, wished I hadn't, got the the end with a really big WTF, and then had to force myself to reread the last 50 odd pages in case I'd missed something because I couldn't believe the ending she gave us, and no, I hadn't missed anything, she really does end it like that
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I'd stop now. The book starts so well, and then my god, I ploughed on, wished I hadn't, got the the end with a really big WTF, and then had to force myself to reread the last 50 odd pages in case I'd missed something because I couldn't believe the ending she gave us, and no, I hadn't missed anything, she really does end it like that

I enjoyed this book as far as it went, but i'm with Agent K on this one...
    I got to the end, turned the page and there was a blank page... :confused: Was that the end?

It didn't so much end as just stop.

I actually rang a friend of mine who i know was reading it at same time, to check that the last chapter just hadn't fallen out!

Yes, beautifully written, but if you want any tiny bit of resolution, forget it.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed Little Friend - I think people are disappointed because it isn't clear at the end what actually happened to cause Robin's death. To me its a straight forward account of a child (and friend's) life in the Deep South. The kids assume there has been a murder and set out to find the culprit. Can we be absolutely sure Robin was found hanged .. or is that a young child's memories playing tricks ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Dymafi - although you say you enjoyed The Little Friend, you seem to agree that the ending was ambiguous. However, I read somewhere that Donna Tartt had said in an interview that she DOES let us know what happened to the brother; that it's in there somewhere, if we read the book carefully. Did you, or anyone else, work out what Ms Tartt wanted us to conclude from the ending?
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Little Friend - I think people are disappointed because it isn't clear at the end what actually happened to cause Robin's death. To me its a straight forward account of a child (and friend's) life in the Deep South. The kids assume there has been a murder and set out to find the culprit. Can we be absolutely sure Robin was found hanged .. or is that a young child's memories playing tricks ??

I actually didn't expect Harriet to get to the bottom of her brothre's death, but I still felt the end to be a bit abrupt
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I adored the Secret Histoy and bought The Little Friend as soon as it was released, I was so excited to read it, but it was a monumental disappointment, honestly, I didn't even bother finishing it I just found it uncompelling and a huge letdown.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Hi Dymafi - although you say you enjoyed The Little Friend, you seem to agree that the ending was ambiguous. However, I read somewhere that Donna Tartt had said in an interview that she DOES let us know what happened to the brother; that it's in there somewhere, if we read the book carefully. Did you, or anyone else, work out what Ms Tartt wanted us to conclude from the ending?

Seriously :eek:
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Wow, thanks all. I'm glad it's not just me then! If the ending is as inconclusive as you all say, I might just give up with it it in all honesty.

Thanks so much for all your input:)
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it in a second hand shop because the guy standing next to me said it was the best book he had ever read. Well - I read about a third of it and gave up.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big cheeky ask - I can't be bothered to read to the end so can someone PM me the ending;):D

Ta!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to PM you the ending, except I'm not really sure myself what the uneventful non-ending was!

I hope someone else will be able to help.................
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy to PM you the ending, except I'm not really sure myself what the uneventful non-ending was!

I hope someone else will be able to help.................

Don't let the ending spoil your enjoyment of the book :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: I've just started reading this.....

But after reading your views, I fear I'm in for a disappointment!

Never mind, ;)

I'll carry on...then come back and give my opinion as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutey loved this book. Maybe it's because you're concentrating so much on the murder. I think it's meant to be more of a character piece.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This sums up my feelings on the ending and I too did a re-read because I assumed I had read too fast in my desire to end the boredom.
    A major disappointment considering the brillance of 'The Secret History'

If the explanation is in the book could someone please post a spoiler. Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Not as good as TSH but I enjoyed it, if you read it looking for a murder mystery then you'll not find one as it's more how one girl interacts with her neighbourhood and how one mistaken belief can lead to a whole lot of trouble - I looked on it as a reimagining of The Crucible.

....and the brother died in an accident, that was my reading of it.

....and the best thing is that throughout the book you have the nagging feeling that the father is going to turn up and save the day and everyone will live happily ever after but it doesn't work out like that and settles on a far more realistic finish.