Roborovszki dwarf hamsters

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
Forum Member
Helloo.

Well about a month ago I went to pets at home and bought 2 roborovszki dwarf hamsters , I asked the woman in the shop weather the 2 hamsters could be kept in the same cage and she said to me "yes that's fine as long as they are same sex and from the same litter then they should be fine"

Anyway 4 weeks later (yesterday) I went to feed them and noticed that one of the hamsters were dead, Half of it's face was missing and it was flat as a pancake, Could the other hanster have done this?.

But today the other hamster that is still alive is really depressed wont eat wont drink and wont sleep.
Pets at home said i can take it back should I take it back or see how it gets on within the next week or so.?

Comments

• ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can be kept together but its hit and miss wether or not itll work out. They can be pretty fussy little things. Im sorry you had to find the other little guy in that state :(
  • mistrimistri Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That must've been very distressing - I'm so sorry to hear that.

Robos can be very sociable but sometimes you will find a dominant personality in a pair and fights can happen. They're also very territorial, especially over tubes, and it's also good to have individual houses and wheels for each one so that they can be alone when they want.

I bought mine from P@H, but it is generally advised (and I will do this in future) to buy from a breeder, who will be more likely to know the temperament of their hamsters and to breed responsibly. In my case P@H mis-sexed my two, so I ended up with a boy and a girl and had to buy another cage.

P@H can treat hamsters a bit like products. In this case I might understand why you'd want to rehome your hamster after seeing something horrible happen, but I'm sure it would appreciate being cared for by you too. It is probably just scared and traumatised. Give it some time and I'm sure he/she will be okay.

If you need further advice, you could try http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Thankyou.

The other one is sat in the corner of the cage feeling sorry for herself and wont eat or drink or even go on her wheel so i dont know what to do with her.

It was horrible to find it like that half of its face was gone and it looked like a hairy pancake it was that flat, weather that was deterioration or not i dont know, I got them for my birthday as i love hamsters and how you can miss such a small thing is unbelievable.

I had to throw it in the wheelie bin because it was making me cringe its brains hanging out and everything, but now my family think im evil for throwing it in the bin and not burying it but if i would have buried it then a Fox or mole would have been able to smell it and ate it anyway :cry:
  • airyfariyairyfariy Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had 2 robos (Robbie and Booboo, Robbie is still alive).

I was told exactly the same thing by them and had to separate them after a few weeks also as they kept fighting and hitting each other and making horrible noises.
    The best thing i did was to separate them and i would suggest the same thing, it's better for them and also for you.
    It did really upset me coz when they were nice to each other they were so cute, all cuddles up and asleep next to each other, but i mean it's just not fair to keep them together.
    I know you want to keep them as is, but honestly best thing to do is separate them, they will be much happier for it.
  • mistrimistri Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My robos are most active at night (or dawn/dusk) and so it's possible that you're simply not noticing when she is drinking/eating (plus robos have very efficient kidneys and don't drink an awful lot) - if you're worried, take her to a vet.

Have to say, you may not wait to describe what happened too much - can be a bit much for many visitors to the pet forum!

I would miss my Robos terribly if anything happened to them so I understand how much you must be missing the little dear.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    It can depend on the sex of the dwarf hamsters as well. Two females a lot of dwarf breeds are liable to end up fighting each other than two males. I have two Female Russian Winter White Hamsters, and they were fine together from where I brought them as they were with other females, but a few weeks after I got them hom they started squabbling so they now have two cages side by side.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Roborovski's are very cute but they are the hardest to hand train and they are massively territorial and will eat their young.
    I bought a pair and ended up with loads of them.
    Ive had gerbils for the past three years and they also eat their young.
    Its what they do.
    If you can hand train a Roborovski you are very,very lucky.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any animals will eat it's young if it feels threatened or that itcan;t cope with them, natures way

to be honest, with all this, i'm surprised the infanticide laws are as strict as they are...