Options

Miquita Oliver files for bankruptcy!

MistylllMistylll Posts: 35
Forum Member
Miquita Oliver files for bankruptcy over unpaid taxes!
Miquita Oliver has filed for bankruptcy after failing to pay a large tax bill.

The ex-T4 presenter reportedly owes over £170,000 in unpaid taxes.

A statement from accountancy firm Baker Tilly Restructuring and Recovery read: "HMRC had petitioned for Miss Oliver to be declared bankrupt for unpaid taxes amounting to £174,514.47.

[news]Miquita Oliver files for bankruptcy over unpaid taxes[/news]

I was actually surprised at the news.
What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suppose she doesn't have much work nowadays..I haven't seen her on anything lately.

Couldn't her best friend Lily loan her the money?
  • Options
    moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When your ego takes over and you have a massively high opinion of yourself you think you will work forever in a high paid job.

Wrong.

Tesco time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She must have been earning quite well to be taxed that much, more than i would have guessed anyway.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always a shame when someone becomes bankrupt, whatever the circumstances. She obviously convinced herself she was richer than she really was, and living beyond her means. Perhaps hanging out with the rich(er than her) and famous meant she lost sight of what she really could afford. However, she always came across as a bit mean, and looked down on the pop stars she interviewed, so I don't feel too sorry for her. Nevertheless, I do hope that she does have enough work coming in that she can learn to live within her means and pay off her debts.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    this is quite common in showbiz

because theyre self employed and pay their tax as much as 18 mths after they earned it

they dont save it they spend it

they think they will continue to earn at the same rate

then the work dries up theyre stuffed

remember showbiz types think will go on forever
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't these presenters/stars/z-listers supposed to have accountants? Do they just put their fingers in their ears and go 'I'm not listening, I'm not listening' when the accountant advises them to put a set amount to pay their taxes?
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully she'll be less smug and condescending from now on.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member

because theyre self employed and pay their tax as much as 18 mths after they earned it

If she's self employed wouldn't she be paying under self assessment every six months with only the balance due in January following the tax year?

Wouldn't she have had an accountant?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Aren't these presenters/stars/z-listers supposed to have accountants? Do they just put their fingers in their ears and go 'I'm not listening, I'm not listening' when the accountant advises them to put a set amount to pay their taxes?

They seem to know they require an agent, publicist etc...

HMRC don't exactly rush to court so it looks like this may have been brewing for some time ?

Maybe she should seek advice from Kerry Katonna.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hhhmmmmm, wonder where all the money went... :cool:
  • Options
    80's chick80's chick Posts: 5,207
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »

Not on soap I'm guessing as apparently she's a stinker
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »

Up her nose? :P
    I never liked her, she seemed like she thought she was just too cool for anything really.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member

This ^^^

Anybody who is self-employed or a contractor should be sure they have enough money available to cover their tax bill. This is especially important where earnings in any given Tax Year can fluctuate wildly - paying last years Tax from this years Income gets to be an issue if the work dries up and you earn far less than you owe. Showbiz types in particular are vulnerable to this sort of occurrence.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a shame. The celebrity lifestyle must completely suck you in - must be hard to stop spending when you've been used to a lifestyle for so long.
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame, she's one of my favourite presenters.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That powder ain't cheap!
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Clem* wrote: »
    Up her nose? :P
    I never liked her, she seemed like she thought she was just too cool for anything really.

Well lets just say the current weather will bring back lots of memories! :D
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect her problem is that she was never much more than a jobbing tv presenter, who thought she had a bigger and brighter career than she really had. She was in with the trendy set, and presumably was well paid for a while (hence the tax bill) it was the kind of career that relied on being fashionable, so she shouldn't have expected the money to keep on rolling in. Especially when she had been pretty unpleasant about so many others in showbiz.

I quite enjoyed her on Popworld, but Simon was always the funny one, and when he was mean about someone you liked, it could still be funny. When she was mean, she often came across like one of the girls at school you did your best to avoid.

Fearne Cotton is probably laughing her socks off.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She must have either ignored her accountant or taken bad advice. Its very hard for people in show business to put away enough money to cover unexpected tax bills which are based on your previous earnings and being caught out like this happens to loads of them.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    She must have either ignored her accountant or taken bad advice. Its very hard for people in show business to put away enough money to cover unexpected tax bills which are based on your previous earnings and being caught out like this happens to loads of them.

No it isn't you just put money away in a separate account as you earn it - when you freelance you can never be sure of your future earnings so it's the only sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I suspect her problem is that she was never much more than a jobbing tv presenter, who thought she had a bigger and brighter career than she really had. She was in with the trendy set, and presumably was well paid for a while (hence the tax bill) it was the kind of career that relied on being fashionable, so she shouldn't have expected the money to keep on rolling in. Especially when she had been pretty unpleasant about so many others in showbiz.

I quite enjoyed her on Popworld, but Simon was always the funny one, and when he was mean about someone you liked, it could still be funny. When she was mean, she often came across like one of the girls at school you did your best to avoid.

Fearne Cotton is probably laughing her socks off.

As is her replacement Indian Toothpick On Stilts Jameela, no doubt.

This is what happens when you try to keep up with rock stars going on world tours when you're just a weekend kids TV presenter on a national network who thinks they are meant to live the rock star life by association.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Self employed people have to pay their taxes and are not accountants, why should a TV presenter be any different.

she will find out who her real friends are now.
  • Options
    fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An accountant will only advise you as to how much tax you will owe and how to save for it, they won't physically take it and save it for you themselves.

Trouble is, it's quite easy not to save and, especially in show biz, assume that you will have a big job that will pay for it when they start chasing you.