Stephen Fry shocks by claiming women don't really like sex

Comments

• lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what he feels

He is usually the first one to put his hands up if he makes an error of judgement...and I am inclined to believe that he has been misquoted

I really hope he has been misquoted because frankly, it is a bizarre thing for him to have said. It's a shame he couldn't just explain the misquote though instead of getting all bent out of shape about it.
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know he is?

Why would the journalist want to twist things anyway, especially as he'll have made a tape?

I like Stephen Fry, I believe what he said.

You don't

These are both our own opinions...neither of us were there.

There is little point in continuing our discussion as we are never going to agree and will keep going round in circles.
    Shall we agree to disagree
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made me feel a bit sick to see Fry on the cover of Attitude with an iPhone, the tagline suggesting he uses Grindr. I thought he had a boyfriend?

Yet another disappointingly shallow gay man.
  • Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Stephen Fry, I believe what he said.

You don't

These are both our own opinions...neither of us were there.

There is little point in continuing our discussion as we are never going to agree and will keep going round in circles.
    Shall we agree to disagree

So now you're saying you believe he said it, or am I misreading you? Are you saying you believe that what he said was right?

I believe he said it, but the essence and context of what he said was completely wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now you're saying you believe he said it, or am I misreading you? Do you believe that what he said was right?

I believe he said it, but the essence of what he said was completely wrong.

This is what I am saying I believe.

"So some ****ing paper misquotes a humorous interview I gave, which itself misquoted me, and now I'm the antichrist. I give up," he wrote.

I believe he has been completely misquoted by the original article and the subsequent newspaper article.

The article I felt was humourous in a tongue in cheek way.

This is my opinion.............it is how I interpreted it.

You have your opinion but you seem to be saying your opinion is fact
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you believe what he said was right though?
    Genuine question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Love how people think they're in a position to determine whether something was said jokingly or not from looking at words on a page. Also love how people can say with confidence that there hasn't been a misquote despite not being present at the interview.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Dominos wrote: »
    Love how people think they're in a position to determine whether something was said jokingly or not from looking at words on a page. Also love how people can say with confidence that there hasn't been a misquote despite not being present at the interview.

Most people here seem to have read the article. Secondly, why you think people picking up a tone from an article is beyond you is, well, beyond me. They aren't just "words on a page".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you believe what he said was right though?
    Genuine question.

To be honest I believe in free speech, he says he has been misquoted...until I know exactly what he did say then I can't give an opinion on his opinion.

To be honest I am far more interested in his views on other subjects.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    Stephen Fry is a writer, and knows the difference between writing a thesis and provocatively playing devil's advocate with off-the-cuff in an interview. People are applying too high a standard of analysis to his remarks. All they do is over-express a simple truth that men are more sexually motivated than women and a dynamic ensues. I don't think it represents his hardest philosophising- he's not after women.

Exactly.

What is that silly Graun journalist describing them as "extreme" for? As if no one has ever thought similar things before. :rolleyes:

Christopher Hitchens once claimed he was bisexual up until the point he "developed a body only a woman could love". Can't remember anyone getting worked up over that.

As usual the feminazis are "shocked" about something utterly trivial, while their silence over real harm against women in places like Islamic theocracies remains defeaning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think we're all intelligent enough to realise that even the written word has nuances that can be interpreted without smilies.

In what way can the sentence 'I think most straight men feel they disgust women' be interpreted other than negatively? It's all well and good for him to speak about his relationships as a gay man, but as he has no concept of heterosexual ones, he shouldn't pontificate on them at all. As I'm a straight woman, he wouldn't like it if I generalised on gay relationships, so why should he generalise on mine?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I believe he has been completely misquoted by the original article and the subsequent newspaper article.

The article I felt was humourous in a tongue in cheek way.

This is my opinion.............it is how I interpreted it.

You have your opinion but you seem to be saying your opinion is fact

It seems unlikely that he was misquoted because this interview here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A211L382EVI&feature=youtu.be shows him saying almost exactly the same thing..... and that was two years ago! So obviously his opinion hasn't changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I believe in free speech, he says he has been misquoted...until I know exactly what he did say then I can't give an opinion on his opinion.

To be honest I am far more interested in his views on other subjects.....

You gave the impression that you'd read the article, so presumably you know enough of what it says to give an actual opinion on its content?
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all well and good for him to speak about his relationships as a gay man, but as he has no concept of heterosexual one, he shouldn't pontificate on them at all. As I'm a straight woman, he wouldn't like it if I generalised on gay relationships, so why should he generalise on mine?

If people were only allowed to pontificate on matters on which they had actual experience, the internet and the world would be a much quieter place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're all intelligent enough to realise that even the written word has nuances that can be interpreted without smilies.

In what way can the sentence 'I think most straight men feel they disgust women' be interpreted other than negatively? It's all well and good for him to speak about his relationships as a gay man, but as he has no concept of heterosexual one, he shouldn't pontificate on them at all. As I'm a straight woman, he wouldn't like it if I generalised on gay relationships, so why should he generalise on mine?

The words I think are important...that is his opinion.
    "I think most cyclists ride like lunatics"
    I am not saying "It is fact most cyclists ride like lunatics"
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    _drak wrote: »
    As usual the feminazis are "shocked" about something utterly trivial, while their silence over real harm against women in places like Islamic theocracies remains defeaning.

Maybe because that's not the subject of this thread?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _drak wrote: »
    Exactly.

What is that silly Graun journalist describing them as "extreme" for? As if no one has ever thought similar things before. :rolleyes:

Christopher Hitchens once claimed he was bisexual up until the point he "developed a body only a woman could love". Can't remember anyone getting worked up over that.

Personally I'm not 'shocked' at all. It's just a case of me thinking that a silly gay man has the nerve to pontificate on something he knows naff all about. It's more a case of :rolleyes: with me.

And if we wanted to talk about women in places like Islamic theocracies we wouldn't be in a Showbiz forum would we? :D
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    This is either some sort of joke or has been misinterpreted, surely? It doesn't sound at all like something SF would say.

It sounds a lot like something Stephen Fry would say and somebody posted a link in the General Discussion thread on this to a video of him saying something quite similar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The words I think are important...that is his opinion.
    "I think most cyclists ride like lunatics"
    I am not saying "It is fact most cyclists ride like lunatics"

Therefore people have the right to challenge his 'thinking', especially as it's relating to something he has no experience of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You gave the impression that you'd read the article, so presumably you know enough of what it says to give an actual opinion on its content?

I have SAID I have read the article......I have SAID that Mr Fry feels he has been originally misquoted.
    You were not at the interview

I believe that he was originally misquoted
    Therefore the original article was not infact what he originally said.
    You are asking me to give an opinion on the content of what I believe to be inaccurate quotes from Mr Fry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have SAID I have read the article......I have SAID that Mr Fry feels he has been originally misquoted.
    You were not at the interview

I believe that he was originally misquoted
    Therefore the original article was not infact what he originally said.
    You are asking me to give an opinion on the content of what I believe to be inaccurate quotes from Mr Fry.

Why did he do a big immature flounce off Twitter today then? If he had any sense he'd have quantified his argument and stayed. It's not the first time he's made comments on various things and apologised later. He knows nothing about heterosexual relationships, why is he qualified to comment?
    Forum Member

In what way can the sentence 'I think most straight men feel they disgust women' be interpreted other than negatively? It's all well and good for him to speak about his relationships as a gay man, but as he has no concept of heterosexual ones, he shouldn't pontificate on them at all. As I'm a straight woman, he wouldn't like it if I generalised on gay relationships, so why should he generalise on mine?
    Please, people can easily get themselves into trouble through saying things they didn't mean and not conveying their sarcastic/joking/ironic tone, and it's much harder to put this across in written form I'm sure you'd agree.

It's most probably just an exaggerated, tongue in cheek explanation of how he thinks men view and enjoy sex compared to women. Nothing to get worked up about love.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please, people can easily get themselves into trouble through saying things they didn't mean and not conveying their sarcastic/joking/ironic tone, and it's much harder to put this across in written form I'm sure you'd agree.

It's most probably just an exaggerated, tongue in cheek explanation of how he thinks men view and enjoy sex compared to women. Nothing to get worked up about love.

But he's revealed this same view on YouTube as quoted above.

He sounds perfectly serious to me there, and these are views he seems to have held for quite some time.

And don't call me love, please.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    I used to like Stephen Fry, but recently he has been up his own arse, his comments get more ludicrous by the minute. How would he know if women don't like sex? Unless he was a woman in his previous life.

They don't actually, they just get more apparent with the uptake of twitter and the more he becomes thought of as an infallible national treasure. He's said silly things about women before.
    Forum Member
    parthy wrote: »
    And I haven't said you said people didn't read the article. So I'll take your :confused: and raise you an :confused:. I was confused as to why you think there's no way anyone could pick up a tone from an article.
    I was confused as to why you're first sentence in your reply to me was that most people had read the article - when I hadn't said anything to refute that.

So you 'picked up' a serious tone in the article - and chose to run with this rather than believe the person who actually gave the interview when he says it was just a light hearted joke :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.