Options

Only Fools & Horses - Did u prefer Grandad or Albert?

2»

Comments

• Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both really great characters and difficult to choose, but Grandad wins by a small margin.

Just because he seems more kinda innocent,
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Both were fantastic characters but Uncle Albert just about comes on top for me.
  • Options
    p@tty*p@tty* Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    grandad :)
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grandad, I loved how he said "Deeellll Boooiiiii" :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved them both.
    The saddest episode was when Grandad died.
    Uncle Albert was another brilliant character too.
  • Options
    ITMAITMA Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Amazing to think that Buster Merryfield had almost no professional acting experience when he started on the show.

Just imagine what it must have been like recording his first scenes in front of a live studio audience, sharing a set with actors of the calibre of David Jason and Nicolas Lyndhurst.
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always preferred Grandad
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If i've counted them up correctly Grandad featured in 23 episodes & Albert featured in 36 episodes.

Albert could be funny at times but when it came to delivering lines Lennard Pearce had it to an art.So because of that i'd go for Grandad.
    The rock n roll episode where Rodney is in a band I found that quite weak.

1 of my favourite scenes from that particular episode is between Del & Rodney

Del Boy: I remember what Mum said on her death bed. She said to me: "Del," she said, "please give little Rodney all the encouragement that you can. Never, Del, never hold him back."
    Rodney: She didn't half say a lot on her death bed, didn't she?
    Del Boy: What?
    Rodney: Whatever the subject is, Mum had something to say about it on her death bed. She must have spent her final few hours in this mortal realm doing nothing but rabbiting!
    Del Boy: You are walking a bleeding tightrope here, Rodney!!!!
    Rodney: No, hang on! Right, you remember last week we were having a row about whose turn it was to go down the chippy, yeah? And you claimed that Mum said on her death bed: "Send Rodney for the fish!"
  • Options
    zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uncle Albert was ,in my opinion, far superior-though maybe the episodes he was in benefitted from the extra running time John Sullivan managed to persuade the BBC to agree to. However, one of the funniest episodes- about the chandelier- featured grandad and was a classic.
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I love them both but think Uncle Albert just wins by a very small margin!

I love it when Albert get's the coffee and gravy mixed up in 'Time on our Hands' and Del pours the coffee all over his dinner, his face when he does it still makes me laugh! :D
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Albert by a mile.

Rodney: "........ if you say 'during the war again.......:mad:"

Albert: "I wasn't going to say 'during the war'......."

"During the course of the 1939-45 conflict between this county and Germany...."

Stronger character, better actor.

Not close really.

:D
    Agreed
    Uncle Albert, at the end of He ain't heavy, he's my Uncle episode, after Del finds out Albert wasn't Mugged, but Albert had a fight with his friend[over Marline's Mum], & Del had set up a gang to have a fight with another gang, who turned out to be undercover Coppers.

Albert"They'd better not come round here. I used to be Royal Navy Boxing Champion"
    Del"AM GOING TO KILL HIM, AM GOING TO KILL HIM":D
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    zackai48 wrote: »
    Uncle Albert was ,in my opinion, far superior-though maybe the episodes he was in benefitted from the extra running time John Sullivan managed to persuade the BBC to agree to. However, one of the funniest episodes- about the chandelier- featured grandad and was a classic.

I do think that episode is a bit overrated now, especially as they've played that clip ad nauseum, same with Del falling through the Bar.

My favorite one is Uncle Albert's OTT reaction [Rodney Come Home]when Rodney announces he's got a Date with someone, as Rodney is still Married.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently re watching all 7 series + the xmas specials and have fallen in love with this amazing sitcom all over again. There wasn't a single bad episodes imo, some were weaker than other such as The rock n roll episode where Rodney is in a band I found that quite weak.

But anyway did people prefer Grandad who was present in the first 3 series or Albert who was present in the rest of the episodes up until the 1996 trilogy?

I love both but prefer Albert for some reason, I guess I found find his "During the war" catchphrase hilarious and he wasn't as dense as Grandad which made him work in a different way.

I preferred granddad, especially as Lennard Pearce seemed to have been given more sarcastic putdown lines by Sullivan, like the one about the Wendy House jibe at Rodney in the broken lawenmowers episode. Buster Merryfield was also a fine actor but got fewer witty punchlines over his 15 year stint than Pearce over three years.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katiemack wrote: »
    II love it when Albert get's the coffee and gravy mixed up in 'Time on our Hands' and Del pours the coffee all over his dinner, his face when he does it still makes me laugh! :D

Briliant scene.

An outstanding piece of wordless acting.

Actually watching some the the earlier OFAHs I can see times when Leonard Pearce crashes through or badly mistimes a potentially funny line. On a couple of ocassions David Jason gives him a look that shows he knows it.

I knew Buster would be fine in his very first episode. The way he potrays various emotions in that one alone was fantastic.
  • Options
    Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still find the scene with Grandad in the bunker really intense. It went something like "They promised us homes ready for heroes...they gave us heroes ready for homes". The only Uncle Albert scene that I can think of that comes close to that is when he reveals to Del Boy and Rodney that he fell down a cellar in order to get money for Grandad's headstone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    Albert for me, but having re-watched and re-watched I have grown to like Grandad a lot more than I used to.
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think both were very good characters, and different which was important.

Grandad was more a loveable old man, sweet and dear if you like, whereas Albert was more jovial and up for banter.

Both had their plus points and both contributed to the series.
  • Options
    Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the bit when Albert was in court after faling down another hole, he told the judge he was stationed overseas during the war.

"Our records tell us that you spent most of the war on the Isle of Wight, hardly overseas"

"You wanna try walking it pal!" :D
  • Options
    Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grandad had some classic lines too, like the time he told Del about arms dealing during the Spanish Civil War

"I don't believe you, gun running in the middle of a Civil War"

"it's the best time to do it Del Boy!" :)
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer Albert, but I think a lot of that is down to better stories during his period rather than the portrayals.
  • Options
    Mancunian WayMancunian Way Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Uncle Albert.
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Albert, but I think a lot of that is down to better stories during his period rather than the portrayals.

couldn't have put it better

also another reason why it should have ended after "Time on our hands"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I never liked the show at all and failed to see what others (including my parents) saw in it. Some events in it were somewhat entertaining, but it is not something I wanted to watch myself.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to say. With Albert, the writing got better but the credibility was lost somewhat by replacing one old man for another. That said, I think I preferred Albert, he was funnier as a character.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very tricky one : I'd nearly call it a dead heat.Grandad could be a bit more biting and sarcastic at times and had some great one liners.Uncle Albert was a great replacement for him though.