Pain in ribcage/side

Madam PresidentMadam President Posts: 135
Forum Member
I've been stepping up my exercising lately and have noticed the last couple of times I've been to the gym I get a weird pain in my ribcage/side when I'm on the cross trainer. It comes and goes quickly but feels something like a cross between an air bubble and being jabbed by a needle. :confused:

Not sure what it is-could I have pulled something? I'm OK now but it's only when exercising-particularly when I'm a bit out of puff. It's a nuisance more than anything, but I'm wondering what I've done.

Comments

• Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get stitches like that occasionally (haven't had one for yonks though, touch wood). I breathe in as hard and as sharply as I can (it does hurt because it causes an almighty 'throb' of that pain), stretch up as high as I can and bend over and touch my toes.

This invariably cures the pain, and also on occasion has caused a massive fart lol :D:o
  • Madam PresidentMadam President Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I'll try the bending and touching my toes, but hoping the latter won't happen! :D:D
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    you've pulled a rib. Common amongst gym users - generally you wont realise what's happened and then when the pain hits you, you wont relate it to when it actually happened. v confusing. Possibly you're breathing will be affected when the pain strikes - shallower breaths for example. Only time heals it and take some pain killers.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, that does not sound good :(
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    you've pulled a rib. Common amongst gym users - generally you wont realise what's happened and then when the pain hits you, you wont relate it to when it actually happened. v confusing. Possibly you're breathing will be affected when the pain strikes - shallower breaths for example. Only time heals it and take some pain killers.

Yes, I'm finding the pain is worse when I breathe deeply. Glad I've plenty of ibuprofen in now! :eek:
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm finding the pain is worse when I breathe deeply. Glad I've plenty of ibuprofen in now! :eek:

I'd suggest cutting back on the type of exercise that causes this pain. However, if the pain still persists then l'd suggest seeing your GP.
    Forum Member
    I'm fine when doing weights, etc. I tend to go for the hill programmes on the cross trainer and have gone up a level in the past fortnight. Sometimes when I get to the steepest bits and short of breath, etc. the pain kicks in but goes as quickly as it came. If it persists I'll definitely go to my GP.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fine when doing weights, etc. I tend to go for the hill programmes on the cross trainer and have gone up a level in the past fortnight. Sometimes when I get to the steepest bits and short of breath, etc. the pain kicks in but goes as quickly as it came. If it persists I'll definitely go to my GP.

I used to have a similar thing years ago, I physically couldn't take in any breaths because it hurt so much, then just disappeared.

I went to a doctor and they said it was 'pin memory' - a term I can't find if I Google? Anyway, he said it was a part of my lung catching on a sharp bit of my rib cage, and was nothing to worry about. Haven't had it for years now.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is a rib muscle injury it could have been caused by over stretching (e.g. raising arm above head) or rotation or crush injury. If its a rib injury then it does not sound that severe and the best thing would be rest it and if it continues to see the doctor.

http://www.newsfinder.org/site/more/rib_injury_the_annoying_pain/

however if its only happening on the cross trainer and you can exercise normally aside from that then I am guessing that its not a rib injury and to get it looked at.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Do you have the pain while not on the cross trainer as well? If so it most likely sounds like you've just pulled a muscle while on the cross trainer, I would assume it's quite common considering the movement you have to do! The pain is probably just coming back again each time you use it as you stretch the muscle again. Ibuprofen and taking it easy for a week or so should do the trick.

You did say the pain comes on when you're doing the hardest bit of your workout though, does it ever happen for example if you're just walking quickly or walking uphill? If that's the case a trip to the GP might be better.