Options

Issues following H-Pylori

Wii UnfitWii Unfit Posts: 153
Forum Member
Hi All,
I was diagnosed as having h-pylori after experiencing several bouts of stomach pain in the middle of the night and having a stool test which proved positive for the bacteria. I took a course of antibiotics and proton pump inhibitors (Lansoprazole) and following this I am still experiencing issues.

I went back to the doctors in August after waking up in pain again and was given a further 2 month supply of Lansoprazole and told that the anitbitoics have also wiped out the good bacteria in my body and I'd probably got IBS.

I had a further bout of pain again this week and have been suffering from a frequently upset stomach also. I again returned to the doctors and have now been prescribed Mebeverine for the IBS.

Are there any other people out there in a similar position? Whilst having the h-pylori was problematic I quickly learnt that most of the bouts of pain I had prior to going to the doctors were triggerd by acidic foods (tomato based) it feels like I am actually worse now with a constant churing tummy and upset stomach.

I am a contractor so cannot afford to be off work for long and it's difficult to go and visit customer sites not knowing if my stomach will behave!

Are there any people with IBS who could offer advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you had it confirmed that you have eradicated H. Pylori?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    have you had it confirmed that you have eradicated H. Pylori?

No, despite going back to the doctors twice since finishing the course they've not wanted to re-test. The pain I am having now is different though, different in the type of pain but also the location.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's as you say. you got rid of the H.p and now have IBS, possibly due to the antibiotics
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    It could also be the Lansoprazole causing some of your problems. Might be worth asking the doctor for a change and see how you get on with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I would ask them to check that the hp has been treated successfully... I've had it twice and both times I had completely different symptoms first time I just had horrible heartburn that wouldn't clear up then the second time I was sick and had stomach pains.

If it is IBS the tablets stop the cramping but my IBS never feeld like my tummy churning it's lower down I feel cramps obviously it effects different people in different ways but if the IBS tablets don't work in a few days you will have to go back and demand they check it out further!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!!
    X
  • Options
    allhitradioallhitradio Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I found that I had symptoms for several weeks after being treated for H Pylori. This appeared to be due to the damage done by the high acid levels in my digestive system. I've had to be fairly careful about what I eat ever since, especially avoiding lots of acid-making foods like (as you mention) tomatoes, as well as very high fat foods like sausage rolls and shortbread biscuits etc. Basically, the infection can cause some permanent damage. I find the best way to manage it is to watch what I eat and very occasionally take ranitidine (zantac) if I'm having a few days of over indulging.

I also have heard, from a Consultant I saw several years ago, that many GPs are too quick to diagnose IBS and start prescribing medication that can cause a 'rebound effect' and start off a cycle. All I know is that, in your shoes, I would try to wean myself off the IBS drugs and take Zantac/something similar as and when I felt it necessary, and see if things settle down. If not, I'd then go back to the GP. That's what I'd do anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boobyloo wrote: »
    I would ask them to check that the hp has been treated successfully... I've had it twice and both times I had completely different symptoms first time I just had horrible heartburn that wouldn't clear up then the second time I was sick and had stomach pains.

If it is IBS the tablets stop the cramping but my IBS never feeld like my tummy churning it's lower down I feel cramps obviously it effects different people in different ways but if the IBS tablets don't work in a few days you will have to go back and demand they check it out further!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!!
    X

Thanks boobyloo I guess you are one of the few people who doesn't clear it the first time, just checking I didn't know the failure could be as high as 20%

I'll give it a week and see how I go otherwise I will ask for a further test to check H Pylori. Interesting that you've had different symptoms both times, it does just feel different this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wii Unfit wrote: »
    Thanks boobyloo I guess you are one of the few people who doesn't clear it the first time, just checking I didn't know the failure could be as high as 20%

I'll give it a week and see how I go otherwise I will ask for a further test to check H Pylori. Interesting that you've had different symptoms both times, it does just feel different this time.

the test is dead cheap and the results come back in a couple of days, so I don't see the problem with your GP. I guess they expect some period of readjustment, when it's gone but doesn't feel like it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me and my friend at work realised we had both had it and went online to read more about it as both our symptoms had been so different. That prompted me to go to the doctor and found out I had it again!!!

I think your right to give it a few days to calm dowm as the medication is very strong and I know I was left feeling horrific with it so it could be your body adjusting back from the battering it's taken!!!
  • Options
    sugar puffsugar puff Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not had h-pylori, but I have taken lansoprazole and can tell you they caused a host of digestive, and other health problems, that I did not have before taking them. Although it is the recommended treatment for h-pylori, it majorly interferes with your natural digestion. Not knowing this you go to the doctor who then give something else for the side effects and does not tell you it may be caused by the medication.
    The longer you take medications that interfere with your digestive system, the more they will mess you up, and they can be very hard to get off. There are a host of problems caused by taking lansoprazole, or other proton pump inhibitors, so don't be fobbed off with an alternative drug.
    Find out if the h-pylori has gone and then sort your digestivve system out naturally. You will get back to normal. But cannot get back to normal whilst still taklng drugs that interfere with normality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to update. I have not got IBS I have gallstones. I' was discharged from hospital yesterday after being admitted on Saturday night after suffering over 20 hours of stomach cramps. I'm now waiting for a further dose of antibiotics to reduce the swelling prior to having surgery.

Needless to say I have stopped taking the medications I was wrong prescribed for ibs. To say I am frustrated is an understatement as I queried gallstones when I first went to the doctors. I suspect they were too tight to pay for the scan, now the will have to suck up the cost of an ambulance and my hospital.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm really glad that you have an answer... Not so much that you have gallstones. I really hope that you feel better soon.
    XX
  • Options
    sugar puffsugar puff Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand your frustration. Its a frustrating system the NHS. At least you now know the problem and hopefully will have it resolved before long. Wishing you well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you both, feeling much better now the drugs are kicking in and relieved I know what is wrong, although ironically I queried gallstones when I first when to the GP months ago. Just waiting for a surgery date now.

Hope other people out there with gastro issues get better support from their GP's