Options

The 2014 Oscars Thread

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could be right...but theres nearly always an upset at the Oscars and this I feel is a likely category for this years upset to happen!

Not a chance. I'll bet my house on it that she won't win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's the closest race for a long time between Lupita and Jennifer. I personally would prefer the latter to win - Lupita was nowhere near as good for me as the rest of the cast in 12 years - Fassbender for example was far stronger (but getting little recognition).
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blah123 wrote: »
    I think it's the closest race for a long time between Lupita and Jennifer. I personally would prefer the latter to win - Lupita was nowhere near as good for me as the rest of the cast in 12 years - Fassbender for example was far stronger (but getting little recognition).

Fassbender is up against Leto, who is simply unstoppable given the sheer brilliance of his performance in Dallas Buyers Club, but I did rate Fassbenders performance in 12 Years highly - he was unfortunate not win the BAFTA in Leto's absence I thought.

But equally I think Lupita delivers THE most powerful performance of the year in 12 Years. Although I really rated Lawrence in American Hustle as well. I think it is very close between them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a chance. I'll bet my house on it that she won't win.

If anyone does want to bet their house on Roberts winning they can get odds of 66-1….;)

I did like her performance in the film a lot though, actually, but it's a very strong category this year.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blah123 wrote: »

I sort of agree with you - I think Lupita's good in 12 Years, and at a couple of points great, but I didn't feel her performance was as brilliant as many people have raved. It's certainly not the most powerful performance of the year in my opinion - Cate Blanchett is being deservedly rewarded for that.

American Hustle is far from Lawrence's best, but she and Amy Adams rise above the many problems of that movie and turn in great performances. They're so different it's hard to compare, but I wouldn't really mind which of Lawrence and Nyong'o wins. No one else in that category has a hope though, I don't understand how there's any basis at all for saying Roberts could win. She won't.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Some good points made on Oscar upsets!
    Speaking of which anyone think the negative publicity generated by Mia Farrows accusations against Woody Allen may cost Cate Blanchett votes in the best actress category(for an Allen film) leading the way to Judi Dench or Meryl Streep winning?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of which anyone think the negative publicity generated by Mia Farrows accusations against Woody Allen may cost Cate Blanchett votes in the best actress category(for an Allen film) leading the way to Judi Dench or Meryl Streep winning?

Not a chance. They've known about him for years so they are hardly going to do anything about it now. And it's not her fault if he did or didn't do anything.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Not a chance. They've known about him for years so they are hardly going to do anything about it now. And it's not her fault if he did or didn't do anything.

I know its not Cates fault but Mia sent Cate a letter and seemed to be chiding or half berating Cate to give her a reaction.Its all a bit undignified but can affect some folks perception sadly.

Anyone think this will be Leos year?
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Leo wins, it wouldn't surprise.The controversy over Wolf having settled, his performance is stunning, combining intensity and Lewis-like slapstick.

My bet is that its McC or DiCaprio for Best Actor.Nothing agin the other nominees, but it's their "time";Leo for longevity and previous noms, and Mathew for the McConaissance.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No chance. Allen and others from his productions still managed to win Oscars in spite of allegations and scandals involving the Allen-Farrow-Sintara-Etc families all these decades.

This kind of allegation wouldn't - and in spite of my usual stance*, shouldn't - affect a nominee's chance to win an Oscar. In Blanchett's case, it would be truly shameful if it did.

*My usual stance: I won't vote for or pay to watch a film made by a person who's known to be extremely unprofessional towards crew members and others. I could never take pleasure from seeing them winning awards, either. I just don't feel they deserve those. As clichés go, film-making is a collaborative process. This doesn't mean one has a right to be excused for exploiting or being abusive to people along the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone think this will be Leos year?
    If Leo wins, it wouldn't surprise.The controversy over Wolf having settled, his performance is stunning, combining intensity and Lewis-like slapstick.

If the BAFTA's have shown us anything it's that Leo is third in line at best in the best actor category. Other than the Globes, where he was in the comedy/musical category, while the stronger contenders were in drama, he hasn't had a sniff of a notable award. Couldn't even win in the absence of the hot favourite at BAFTA.

If anything I'd say The Wolf of Wall Street's stock has fallen in recent weeks.

Lot of money being thrown at him with the bookies, but only from the mugs.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still close between j-law and lupita BUT I think that lupita will edge her (fingers crossed ).
    I certainly wouldn't wish to anyone the kind of backlash J-law would receive if there is an upset. Think that the bafta or Anne's backlash can compare ? No lol, it will be way, way worse; even most of her own fans hope that she loses.
    2 brilliant actresses who like and respect each other but I hope Lupita wins.

The deadline of the voting ends today. Eeeeeeeeek !!!

It would be funny if someone other than jlaw or lupita causes an upset :o:D:p.

As for the other main categories, Matthew, Jared and Cate are sure wins !!!

The other upset I could see is best director going to Steve since everybody assume that Alfonso has it in the bag.

Just a FEW more days , I can't wait :D.

I'm rooting for : Lupita, Jared, Cate, Matthew ( love Leo but he doesn't stand a chance :( but I like Matthew too and I loved his performance in DBC so he deserves it imo )

2013 was an amazing in cinema. I haven't felt so excited about the Oscars in years :o !!!I haven't even watched it for a long time but now I'm counting the days until March the 2nd :D. So many amazing movies and performances.
  • Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want gravity or wolf of Wall Street for best picture!
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want American Hustle to win best picture!

*ducks from all the rotten tomatoes* :D

Interesting how the tide has turned with AH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm firmly in Team Gravity and Team DBC this year, although my biggest wish, likely to unfulfilled, is that Before Midnight wins best adapted screenplay.

That said, I also liked American Hustle and 12 Years A Slave, so I'm not likely to be happy to a certain degree whomever wins of the big contenders ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the hate for american hustle either, I loved it and would have no problem with it winning. But I'm in the gravity camp and wolf and Wall Street as well.

But I don't think anything is beating 12 years a slave, does anyone here feel gravity will win best picture on Sunday?
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen Gravity as I loathe 3D, so I can't judge it. Of the movies I've seen, my favourite was Dallas Buyers' Club, but I expect 12 Years will win Best Picture. Steve McQueen certainly deserves something and he won't get Best Director.
    edy10 wrote: »
    It's still close between j-law and lupita BUT I think that lupita will edge her (fingers crossed ).
    I certainly wouldn't wish to anyone the kind of backlash J-law would receive if there is an upset. Think that the bafta or Anne's backlash can compare ? No lol, it will be way, way worse; even most of her own fans hope that she loses..

I really don't understand why you're describing a Lawrence win as an 'upset' - it's clear that it's practically a dead heat between the two, so a win for either would not be surprising in the slightest.

The 'backlash' is all people who like to cause drama on Twitter and the press who like to make a story out of nothing. I'm sure most sensible people would recognise that a Lawrence win wouldn't exactly be a shock, and that it wouldn't be her fault either. She hasn't even been around for most of awards season, unlike Nyong'o who's attended basically every event. Backlash is just a word to describe immature posts online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen Gravity as I loathe 3D, so I can't judge it.

Generally I'd agree with you about 3D but once every so often a film comes along that actually uses 3D in a way that enhances the film, and Gravity is one such film. It really does literally as well as metaphorically add depth to the piece, I'd hold your nose and give it a go while you still can, you might be pleasantly surprised ;)
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen Gravity as I loathe 3D, so I can't judge it. Of the movies I've seen, my favourite was Dallas Buyers' Club, but I expect 12 Years will win Best Picture. Steve McQueen certainly deserves something and he won't get Best Director.

I really don't understand why you're describing a Lawrence win as an 'upset' - it's clear that it's practically a dead heat between the two, so a win for either would not be surprising in the slightest.

The 'backlash' is all people who like to cause drama on Twitter and the press who like to make a story out of nothing. I'm sure most sensible people would recognise that a Lawrence win wouldn't exactly be a shock, and that it wouldn't be her fault either. She hasn't even been around for most of awards season, unlike Nyong'o who's attended basically every event. Backlash is just a word to describe immature posts online.

Yep the point I made really earlier. Love J-Law but hope Lupita wins because it's a great performance, and it'll mean more for her career.

Yet a win for J-Law would be loved by 95% of the media, and most casual fans. The backlash will be minimal and pretty much carried out by a whiny bunch on the internet that love to be outraged, and have something/one to hate, whilst pretending they are talking up for the underdog.

I have to say I don't really get Gravity, it's a fine B Movie, but not sure why it's even in the running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6 more days :o:o:D !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    I want gravity or wolf of Wall Street for best picture!
    I want American Hustle to win best picture!

*ducks from all the rotten tomatoes* :D

Interesting how the tide has turned with AH.

These 2 movies do not stand a chance imo. 12 YAS is the overwhelming favorite with gravity a close second.

Was captain Phillips even nominated in that category :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting closer! Can't wait for the show. I just hope it's entertaining. I was excited about last year going by the attendees but it fell flat for me. Hoping for a ending with alfonso cuaron, david Heyman and sandra bullock on stage taking best picture!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I watched 12 Years a Slave on Saturday and it was a very very good film and Lupita was brilliant. Although I kind of expected that kind of performance, it was good but I didn't think it was exceptional because it almost seemed 'easy' for lupita. When I saw JLAW it was exciting because you didn't know what to except where as I already knew what Lupita would be like 'powerful, emotional, real' all those tags it wasn't shockingly good.

probably doesn't make sense what i'm saying lol but basically I don't think Lupita deserves it wayy more than jlaw they were both good it's just that lupita's CHARACTER is more powerful hence why people have taken notice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I feel that Lupita's role may be more powerful but Jennifer did way more with what she was given - hence my preference for her to win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    wall street will be snubbed., no doubt as normal.
    i hope lawrence wins she is such a good actress .
    but as usual they give awards to movies with a serious subject rather than the actual quality of the movie. so slave will do well

gravity is a great film but they seem to forget most of it is cgi which apart from visual effects and possibly best picture shouldn't be winning anything else in my world

i'd like to see wall street and hustle and buyers club win something. all who ar einvolved in those.
    bale leo and lawrence and mathew deserve wins