What is the worst job you've ever had?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Getting the lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's bum.
    Damn you. I came here to post that exact same job.

I did that as well but swapped to cleaning up Winston Churchills flem;-)
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Insurance brokers - the work was okay but the staff were a load of stuck up biatches, who couldn't be arsed with training me up - and had no qualms about saying as much to each other, in front of me. I went home one day and never went back.

Work wise, probably a pot washer in a large restaurant - no dishwashers - just regular sinks and barely even that when we had outdoor catering functions. We would cater for anywhere up to 500 patrons a night with anything between 3-7 courses. It was horrendous but the staff were all so bonkers, we had the best laughs and they were some of the best times and funniest memories of my life!
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Worst job?. Easily the role of Digital Spy poster. The arguments are endless. You are only as good as your last post. Most of the people, most of the time don't notice let alone appreciate your work. You slog against the backdrop of video ads which mean the letters you type don't appear, scroll bars - don't! and they play you odd snatches music sometimes just note or to make you jump out of your skin.>:(
    And the pay is rubbish! :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    ericos wrote: »
    I did that as well but swapped to cleaning up Winston Churchills flem;-)

I was offered that job but I said no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :d....................:)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a factory standing in front of a manual one arm bandit bench press all day long pressing wavy washers three times. The damned things looked exactly the same before as they did after I had pressed them.

After a few weeks of this seemingly pointless job, I was moved on to pressing bearings into con rods. All manually. The factory was a throwback to the 1950s. Just thinking about it all is giving me a headache.

The best thing about the job were the people there. After almost 25 years I can still recall them, and still keep in touch with a few.
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sex toy tester
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    For mind numbing tedium, inputting the manpower figures on the police TOPSY system - involved sitting with piles of duty rotas, inputting each PC/PS's shoulder number and the two letter code of which ever duty they'd done/patrol they'd been on. Sometimes, on a very exciting day, I couldn't read a shoulder number on the rota and had to check which PC it was referring to.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working in a call centre. Constantly monitored by people who are paid to sit and listen to your calls. Admonished for spending too long on the toilet or for having too many toilet breaks. Irate callers who wouldn't have had a problem if they'd bothered to read the instructions that came with their purchase. Low pay. Not an experience I would ever wish to repeat.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    For me - I went back to Uni as a mature student & had a part time job in BHS in the lighting department. Bored stupid - the other staff were weird too which didn't help. I left after 3 months for another job.
  • Options
    RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    It has to be a temp job I did last spring, for an insurance company (don't want to name names) it was promoted to me as data entry/customer service, I was like that's right up my alley, great way to get valuable office experience.
    Then I start and they shove me in a back office for 7 hours a day, I'd get about 5 minutes a day on an actual computer and zero customer service, all It was, was filling and opening post all day and It started at 7am in the morning cause they did odd hours.

I had a meeting one week in and we came to a mutual understanding it wasn't for me, and I asked to leave. I know its better to get another job before leaving the one you are in but this one was awful, just awful. The people barely spoke to me, other than to shove files at my feet or shove post in my hand.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worked at a cold calling place for half a day. In fact, I didn't even start; I left during the induction. The guy was so annoyed at me he just screwed up the forms I'd filled in and chucked them in the bin.

The other 'worst job' I had was working for the Post Office Card Account which was a scheme setup to provide accounts for people who struggled with banks for their benefits. I'll never for forget how much red tape was involved in a. people setting up accounts and b. accessing their money. I'll never for forget one instance of the PO refusing to issue some poor guy his DLA because he couldn't sign a form. The fella had no arms.