Strip Down XP For Extra Fast Boot

t0264t0264 Posts: 893
Forum Member
✭✭
I got an Acer Aspire One notebook for Christmas which I am very pleased with! It is by no means slow but I was wondering if there was a way to strip it down to get it booting as quick as possible, it logons on fast but the splash screen takes a while. Any ideas? I would use nLite however it's a bit late now as XP is preinstalled and I dont have a CD Drive

Comments

• The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Download and run (no installation required) Autoruns from Microsoft: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Disable what you don't need at start-up. YMMV on how much impact it has.

Alternatively hibernate instead of shut-down.

Dave
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    t0264 wrote: »
    I got an Acer Aspire One notebook for Christmas which I am very pleased with! It is by no means slow but I was wondering if there was a way to strip it down to get it booting as quick as possible, it logons on fast but the splash screen takes a while. Any ideas? I would use nLite however it's a bit late now as XP is preinstalled and I dont have a CD Drive

If you were provided with a recovery disc with the Netbook, you should be able to extract XP from that and Nlite it. I am sure I was able to do this with my Eee.
  • jayzee786jayzee786 Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disable start up programmes (start > run > msconfig) and services which you don't need (start > run > services)

After I got my first laptop it didn't have any manufacturer junk on preinstalled on it (thanks novatech) but it was still using 60% of my RAM with only firefox (0 addons) open so I googled around and disabled needless start programmes and background services.
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nLite is an excellent programme to strip down XP installations and slipstream services packs and the likes. But it isn't for just anyone, you have to know what you're removing.
  • chaos77chaos77 Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows for legacy PCs is a very lean version of XP
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    My sister Acer came loads of crap. I found easier to buy her windows 7 from software students. Uninstalling the software would took hours.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sensible use of Standby and Hibernate is by far the easiest way to improve boot times.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Sensible use of Standby and Hibernate is by far the easiest way to improve boot times.

Agreed.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    The Black Viper web site is the best source of info on this sort of thing I have seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    stick a SSD in it
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Tweakguides do an excellent XP companion.
  • t0264t0264 Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will have a look at tweakcampaign thanks :)
    Also, after booting with /SOS set to on, I noticed that the drivers loaded in about half a second, but then it sat on the blue screen displaying the OS/Hardware infomation for almost the whole time, followed by a quick 'Checking C' screen.
    If it wasnt for the middle screen it would be blazing fast, can anyone tell me what happens on this screen?