Options

Rihanna - Pop legends or bland robot?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
Forum Member
This link takes you to a story where two guys are arguing over whether Rihanna is brilliant or overrated tosh.

What do you think?

http://www.differentscene.co.uk/?p=3725

Comments

• Options
    TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bland robot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bland robot.

Ha! No messing around with you, is there, Mrs Ball?!
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think her songs are iconic enough for her to be a legend but she deffo has talent.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wherever did you find that 'article'? Somewhere deep in the gutter by the looks of it.

Anyway, Rihanna isn't anything special. She's had some good songs but none of them were really down to her, and she's yet to release a really consistent album, nor is she a great singer. She's better than a lot of today's plastic popstars, but still nothing remarkable or particularly memorable.
  • Options
    GoldenBootsGoldenBoots Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    It will all depend on who you ask.

;)

None fans will slate her, fans will praise her. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground with Rihanna for some reason.

Gaga stans in particular seem to hate her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BZR wrote: »
    I don't think her songs are iconic enough for her to be a legend but she deffo has talent.

Perfectly put.

The comment (in the article) about KP and Gaga is funny:D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bland robot.

The current girls (Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Perry) seem to be more concerned with sales, statistics and technical accolades rather than the actual music. It is killing the music industry.
  • Options
    frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanilla101 wrote: »
    Bland robot.
    Bland robot.

Both of you are talking bollocks.

Whether you like her or not is irrelevant to the fact that she is not bland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get her at all . . . .

She wears no clothes just to get attention, her songs are awful & to top it all off, she has no sex appeal whatsoever . . . .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Neither, but if I absolutely HAD to choose, I think she's much closer to a bland robot that a pop legend

Rihanna has hardly any creative control and her tracks are overplayed and hyped enough to be considered smashes, but nothing she's done is legendary or even iconic.I know that the word "legend" is churned out a lot, but for the biggest part of her career, Rihanna has been unable to sing, dance, perform, connect with the audience and be interesting, so I REALLY don't think she's a pop legend AT ALL!

On the other hand, I don't think she's completely a robot either.She has some songs that are really worth discovering and of course she had the whole RR era which was very creative and ballsy, so she might as well become a great artist in the next few years, but for now...not much more than a disposable hit machine :ohttp://www.upload.ee/preview/1203891/rihanna.gif :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Neither.

She's a hit machine in every sense of the word. On one hand, the sheer volume of hits she already has is impressive and it's only going to continue to grow, on the other it's hard not to be cynical of the conveyer belt of manufactured material she lends her name to. The team behind her who select the songs are clearly on a roll.

I think it's undeniable that she has "the x factor", because despite her shortcomings as an artist (mediocre musical talent, non-skilled performer, minimal creative input, often questionable material) she still manages to keep people interested. People really like her, as opposed to Katy Perry (who is on a similar level) who doesn't seem to inspire much interest or likability beyond her singles.

In terms of "pop legend", I think she has a good chance of being around for quite a while and will amass a very impressive back catalog...but she doesn't seem to really have much respect as a credible act. She's like this generations Britney, mass popularity and pop icon status but not (and unlikely ever) a legend. I think she's a label puppet with the musical integrity of a spoon, but I don't think she's a "bland robot". She's got too much fire for that.

I have other issues with her, but they're semi-irrelevant to the thread and I'd be here for a while. :sleep:

ETA: I forgot to mention, that her biggest selling point in pop history is that there hasn't been another Rihanna. She isn't "breaking the mould", but doesn't really fit in one either. Gaga and Britney can effectively fit in the "Madonna mould", Beyonce in the "Tina Turner/Diana Ross mould", and Katy in the "Pink/Cyndi Lauper mould". On one hand you could say that demonstrates that she could only be successful here and now, but on the other it could mean that she stands the test of time by simply not being in anyones shadow or like anyone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Rihanna is the Black Madonna. Run and tell that..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    Rihanna is the Black Madonna. Run and tell that..

Erm well the black Madonna was actually huge in the 1970s and her name was Donna Summer.(I'm talking in terms of cultural impact incidentally and originality)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with most of what you said but just 2 details :o
    She's like this generations Britney, mass popularity and pop icon status but not (and unlikely ever) a legend.
    Britney is definetely not a very credible or acclaimed act now but I don't think it's impossible for her to get to legendary status.If she finds her mojo back and starts performing well and if she steps her lyrical and musical game and stop accepting to be bossed around by a dumb label that hooks her up with "hot" current producers and rejects the writers of her preference, then she can actually become a legend in 15-20 years ("legendary" in 2025 will definetely be much different to "legendary" in 1995, so no MJ, Madonna comparisons)
    Britney can effectively fit in the "Madonna mould"
    Katy in the "Pink/Cyndi Lauper mould".
    Hmm...Not really.I don't see any resemblance or influence :cool:
  • Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bland Legend, maybe?

Her sales and record-breaking chart assaults will be remembered, but ultimately she has brought nothing new.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you said but just 2 details :o

Britney is definetely not a very credible or acclaimed act now but I don't think it's impossible for her to get to legendary status.If she finds her mojo back and starts performing well and if she steps her lyrical and musical game and stop accepting to be bossed around by a dumb label that hooks her up with "hot" current producers and rejects the writers of her preference, then she can actually become a legend in 15-20 years ("legendary" in 2025 will definetely be much different to "legendary" in 1995, so no MJ, Madonna comparisons)

Hmm...Not really.I don't see any resemblance or influence :cool:

I meant I don't think Britney will be revered as a "Music Legend" (aka a legend within the music industry), but rather a "Pop Icon" because of the style of act that she is and all the celebrity drama she had. I think you have to be musically credible to be referred to as a "Legend", someone who will be cited as an influence for generations to come, but that's for another thread.

+ What I mean by those lists, is that you can kind of put them in boxes, as opposed to their influences. Katy Perry isn't much like Pink or Cyndi Lauper, but she could effectively be placed alongside them, along with Kelly Clarkson etc. because of their punchy and catchy, typically lighthearted pop/rock. They all do it differently though.
  • Options
    Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still find it weird that Rihanna has only been around for six years!!! - it feels like she's been around forever with the amount of singles and albums she has released :eek:

I'm actually going to see her in concert tomorrow - I wouldn't normally but my friend got free tickets :D . I've never been a fan of her voice (too nasally for me) but she does have some great songs. It'll be interesting to see what she's like in concert.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I meant I don't think Britney will be revered as a "Music Legend" (aka a legend within the music industry), but rather a "Pop Icon" because of the style of act that she is and all the celebrity drama she had. I think you have to be musically credible to be referred to as a "Legend", someone who will be cited as an influence for generations to come, but that's for another thread.

+ What I mean by those lists, is that you can kind of put them in boxes, as opposed to their influences. Katy Perry isn't much like Pink or Cyndi Lauper, but she could effectively be placed alongside them, along with Kelly Clarkson etc. because of their punchy and catchy, typically lighthearted pop/rock. They all do it differently though.
    Fair enough then :cool: But I think pop and cultural icons can be cited as influences for the next generations too, so I'd count Britney in :) That said, if Rihanna goes even more pop, she'll be easily in the Madonna box that you put GaGa and Britney in...Just saying :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unless she co-writes, produces and takes a firm control of her career - she will never be allowed in madonna's box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    So I'm the only one who thinks that Rihanna is a sexualised Kill-bot sent from the distant future to destroy us all? FINE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way she can ever be called a legend but she's not bland either. So as a compromise I would say she's a pop robot :).
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    This thread is proof that DS chronically misuses the word "Legend"
  • Options
    da3boolda3bool Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Rihanna will ever be considered a legend because she hasn't got anything special. She doesn't have the voice to back it up. She can't dance, she can't perform. She is a hit machine but that could easily vanish and she would be left with nothing to back her name up.

Another factor is that the american industry don't take her seriously. She is finding it hard to gain the respect of her peers.

Rihanna's popularity is mainly in here and some european countries. She is a bit like Kylie Minogue.

Time will tell
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she is hardly bland considering she has some great pop songs. She taps into many different genres of music and uses her Caribbean influences in her songs. She sells the music. I don't think Umbrella would have been such a hit if Britney did sing it. So she's not either yet, IMO.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    She's ok and I enjoy her music but I don't take her seriously and I wouldn't describe her as a pop legend.