Options

Cher smokes as well!?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D:

I'm not sure if you like Cher or not, but that's obviously not the case... anyone can smoke.

Indeed, anyone can smoke, but I think you would be hard pushed to find a chav that didn't !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cavfan wrote: »
    Indeed, anyone can smoke, but I think you would be hard pushed to find a chav that didn't !

well thats dependent on your definition of chav, but i'm pretty sure you wouldn't be very hard pushed.
  • Options
    jock_fjock_f Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I smoked 50 a day till 3 years ago. I would prefer people did not smoke, and now that I'm cured I hate the smell, but it's a free country and smoking is NOT illegal,

As far as I'm concerned they can do what they like.

AND smoking is not a class thing, unless you're classist and try to make it so.
  • Options
    phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeanie wrote: »
    There were some earlier pictures of Mary with a cigarette in her hand. Also Aiden has been photographed smoking.

I'm not really sure why people are surprised - a lot of people smoke - it's not really newsworthy. However the fact is that anything that can damage your vocal chords should be a no go area for singers, but it's a difficult habit to break. I'm pretty sure the singing coaches are telling them that.

The vocal coaches actually told Mary to keep smoking because when she stopped it affected her voice. Mary said so in a radio interview.

I'd say Matt, Cher and the other smokers were told the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phasers wrote: »
    The vocal coaches actually told Mary to keep smoking because when she stopped it affected her voice. Mary said so in a radio interview.

When I stopped smoking I got a sore throat and felt ill for nearly six months so I can see why they'd say that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phasers wrote: »

Yeah, sod the lungs and long-term health, lets keep those vocal chords nice and loose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Lydian wrote: »
    Yeah, sod the lungs and long-term health, lets keep those vocal chords nice and loose.

Live fast, die young is the ethos of the whole competition anyway!

Let adults make their own desicions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh my god, she smokes. hang her....some of you need to grow up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winterland wrote: »
    Live fast, die young is the ethos of the whole competition anyway!

Let adults make their own desicions.

More like, vote fast - vote young.

No-one is saying people dont have free right to do what they want. Just seems absurd to be told to keep smoking for the sake of singing when it endangers your health every single day. Smoking in young people, especially girls, is going up and up. We have a lung/throat/tongue/mouth cancer ticking timebomb in 20-30 years but if people want to keep walking towards the cliff edge thats their choice...keep singing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Disgusting habit. ****, tattoos, chip on her shoulder, attitude - she is lovely isn't she? And not even 18 yet.

Did the monocle pop out of your eye? You must have lived a sheltered existence. Seriously what were you like as a teenager? When I was 17 most of my friends smoked and drank. So Cher smokes. Who cares?
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jock_f wrote: »
    I smoked 50 a day till 3 years ago. I would prefer people did not smoke, and now that I'm cured I hate the smell, but it's a free country and smoking is NOT illegal,

As far as I'm concerned they can do what they like.

AND smoking is not a class thing, unless you're classist and try to make it so.

50 :eek::eek::eek:

I only smoke 5 or 6 a day!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50 a day is crazy. Where did you find the time? It must have been tough to quit with that habit.
  • Options
    parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder she looks like a 40 year old and can't sing! Has she really had these singing lessons her nan paid for? First of all, a decent singing teacher would have taught her to lose the pub singer "hiccup" noise before every vowel or "h" when she's singing, and also they would have taught her - although it should be common knowledge - that singers shouldn't smoke!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but that's obviously not the case... anyone can smoke.

As long as it's occasionally, not like 10 a day or something :D
  • Options
    LittleMissOboeLittleMissOboe Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    personally i don't really care whether she smokes or not, but i'm always shocked when i see singers smoking... they always say that music is the number one thing in their lives, but they don't seem to live a lifestyle that would protect their voice... i'm a classically trained musician so maybe its slightly different, cos i'm sure there are plenty of famous pop/rock singers who smoke, and like the effect that it has on their voices, but i'm always surprised that people who sing don't do everything to look after their voices... i mean surely its their way of making money? (well maybe not for some!! :) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donbon wrote: »
    50 a day is crazy. Where did you find the time? It must have been tough to quit with that habit.

I could get 5 in on the way to work, and then light one off the other. It's not so hard if you apply yourself to it! That's only(!) 3 per hour for 16 hours a day!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    To all those who say smoking is bad for singers, take a leaf out of Biffa's book and just mime...always one step ahead, that one ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trick is to try not to smoke in the first place, and bingo, you have no worries :D
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I don't really care if Cher smokes TBH as its HER life (I don't smoke BTW), but if she wants to sing it isnt good for her - she looks older than she is (in the 2nd picture she looks terrible) maybe due to the smoking.
    With Mary its different, smoking is a hard habit to break, maybe she tried... also Mary is from an older generation.
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NightFalls wrote: »

Oh Dear. Shock horror!!!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    Cheryl smokes
    Simon smokes
    Charlotte Church smokes
    Wayne Rooney smokes and still manages to run around a field every week.

Not condoning the habit but one in four of us does it!
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pavarotti was fond of cigars. Quite a few opera singers smoke.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jock_f wrote: »
    I could get 5 in on the way to work, and then light one off the other. It's not so hard if you apply yourself to it! That's only(!) 3 per hour for 16 hours a day!
    How many years did you smoke for and did you find it hard? I've been off them 5 days cold turkey lol

It's Cher's choice if she wants to smoke but she's going to learn the hard way that's it's mucher easier to chose to start smoking than it is to chose to quit smoking :(
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeanie wrote: »
    Exactly. Mary even has a smokers cough.

It's a stupid habit, but one that many indulge in, it's not exclusive to Cher.

But of course it's just another stick to beat her with. :rolleyes:

She wants to make a career out of singing/rapping, yet she's filling her lungs with tar and goodness knows what else. Crazy!

Incidentally, I'd say the same about any contestant who smokes.